Blue Mountain Death

toast21602

so unfortunate, gives me a sickening feeling. i believe earlier that same morning (might have been the week before) ski patrol was doing sled drills on challenge first thing. I was on the lift with a patroller and passed over a single patroller standing in the middle of falls. On the previous run i had come up quickly on the rest of them spaced out across the trail just below the middle roller which is also somewhat blind on the approach., leaving a single wide passing lane.  I (politely) suggested to him that its really not  the best idea as they were putting themselves and others at risk, especially since razors was closed for the race. He was a bit rude and replied I shouldn't;t be flying over the falls - someone could have fallen below. I said you don't have to be flying, it's blind at any speed and you may anticipate that there might be a fallen skier but that skier didn't choose to create the situation...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When I was a new skier, the first time down Falls I took my time and suddenly 5 ski patrol dudes came whizzing past me at lightning speed. If I was in the wrong place, I might not be here right now. Lesson learned: don't dilly dally on steeps, especially if there's a blind spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I almost went tip to face with a snowboarder on the flat section right before the lip while night skiing.  He fell for no reason, and spun in a funny way and his face was looking right at my left ski, maybe 10 feet away from the lip.  I picked up my left ski as high as I could and I couldn't believed I cleared his head.  

• Like 1

Blue could change the culture of out-of-control straight-lining if they wanted to. Couple of patrollers on Main st. and Challenge ready and willing  to take away passes would do the trick. You'd think they'd rather spend their working hours preventing injury rather than treating it.

The fact that people consider uncontrolled straightlining "skiing" in the first place is cultural.  So if the resort made a commitment to not tolerating it and did it with a big campaign, they could change the culture and would probably save lives and surely prevent countless injuries. 

Edited by SallyCat

6 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Blue could change the culture of out-of-control straight-lining if they wanted to. Couple of patrollers on Main st. and Challenge ready and willing  to take away passes would do the trick. You'd think they'd rather spend their working hours preventing injury rather than treating it.

The fact that people consider uncontrolled straightlining "skiing" in the first place is cultural.  So if the resort made a commitment to not tolerating it and did it with a big campaign, they could change the culture and would probably save lives and surely prevent countless injuries. 

They would also piss a lot of people off and lose business. Years ago the patrollers at Blue had way too much power and would stop anybody they wanted. Now it is more relaxed and tolerable. We're at a good place now. I wouldn't want it to go back to the way they were.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

We're at a good place now. I wouldn't want it to go back to the way they were.

Fair enough, but there could be a happy medium. The dumbass kid who almost hit me the other day literally couldn't stop. He was an idiot meat-rocket. If he'd hit me at the speed he was going, he would have done serious damage.  There could be more of a presence discouraging that shit. 

EDIT: I don't know anything about the Ski Patrol at Blue.  If they're puff-chested authoritarians, yeah, they'll piss people off and be ineffective. If they're tactful and sensible, they could have a real impact. 

Edited by SallyCat

4 hours ago, saltyant said:

When I was a new skier, the first time down Falls I took my time and suddenly 5 ski patrol dudes came whizzing past me at lightning speed. If I was in the wrong place, I might not be here right now. Lesson learned: don't dilly dally on steeps, especially if there's a blind spot.

I don't believe that. No blue mountain ski patrollers ski at lightning speed..concussion ted used to ski fast like us but once he became a patroller he became a slow skiing trail whore. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Yeah right they should tell noobs to get off the black diamonds.  I understand no fast skiing on paradise and Burma but mark Miller said I can ski as fast as I want on anything else...

• Like 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I understand no fast skiing on paradise and Burma but mark Miller said I can ski as fast as I want on anything else...

Yeah that's the problem. I'm talking about out-of-control skiing, not fast skiing. But maybe that's too much nuance for ski patrol. It shouldn't be; it's really obvious who is out of control and who is not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The most dangerous skiers are the aggro beginners you mainly see night skiing during the week from school groups.  It will be somebodies fourth time skiing and they're straight lining challenge or running into people in the liftline. 

100% agree. That's the shit I'm talking about. If one of my ski club kids were doing that I would want ski patrol to have a Come to Jesus talk with them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Yeah that's the problem. I'm talking about out-of-control skiing, not fast skiing. But maybe that's too much nuance for ski patrol. It shouldn't be; it's really obvious who is out of control and who is not. 

I'll tell you this it used to be if you skied medium fast on paradise let's say like 30mph and you were straight lining or making good turns..patrollers would whistle at you and if you were doing a 30mph turkey tuck with poles straight in the air they wouldn't bat an eyelash. That's why my turkey tuck is so good back from the days I was in the database.  I

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

100% agree. That's the shit I'm talking about. If one of my ski club kids were doing that I would want ski patrol to have a Come to Jesus talk with them. 

As long as it's not a Thursday night at Blue.  They're all in the top shack drinking corona lights and having a circle jerk.  

15 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

They're all in the top shack drinking corona lights 

Well, that explains all the beer bellies. I used to be an EMT and do wilderness first aid, yadda, yadda boring.  I'm trying to get back into outdoor work with students (not skiing) and I actually asked ski patrol if I could run scenarios with them. They never got back to me. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, guitar73 said:

they have released more info on the incident

53 year old man from philadelphia. apparently he had fallen and a skier ran into him. it was ruled an accident.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/poconos-coal/man-dies-of-blunt-force-trauma-in-skiing-accident/689971701

On what trail did it happen?