Hey Salty..

45 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

If I were to do a pass (which is possible as next year my kids will be too old for 5th Grade PA Ski Passport) it would be the Peak pass, and it would get me to take a lot more trips to Hunter and Mt. Snow.

That probably would make most sense for you.

My ski distances on weekend mornings with no snow to day trip able mountains

1:30 Shawnee

1:40 Blue or Camelback

1:55 Frost

2:15 Montage

2:45 Elk (very rare I bother)

2:50 Hunter

3:00 Belleayre or Windham

3:20 Plattekill

Anywhere further I am getting a hotel

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

My ski distances on weekend mornings with no snow to day trip able mountains

1:30 Shawnee

1:40 Blue or Camelback

1:55 Frost

2:15 Montage

2:45 Elk (very rare I bother)

2:55 Hunter

3:00 Belleayre or Windham

3:20 Plattekill

Anywhere further I am getting a hotel

I don't see Mountain Creek on your list.

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I don't see Mountain Creek on your list.

Because it is at least as far as 4 places I would rather go. Unless I get a free ticket or they get hit with a dump that misses PA, I would not bother. 

Also omitted Spring, Bear Creek, Big Boulder, Campgaw, Big Bear - though I am more likely to hit Big Bear as I have free tix for 3 on my PS&R cards.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Sad 1

Hey, serious question: I want to ski Sunday because I don't care about the game and figure it won't be too crowded. But the forecast for Palmerton is calling for  rain in the afternoon. Tannersville's forecast is calling for 3-5 inches of snow.

I can get a free pass to Camelback, so in terms of money, the Blue vs. CBK choice is the same.

I'd rather ski at Blue, but also I'd rather ski in snow.

What say you PASRs? Where should I go?

I would go to Camelback for 2 reasons, altitude and latitude. CB is about 2000' at the top. Blue is 1400' at the top. CB is farther north.

Plus I get bored skiing the same place all the time. I like Blue better but CB has a lot of variety to offer as well.

I never find Superbowl Sunday to be that much less crowded than any other Sunday. The game doesn't start until 6:30 so most people can leave at 4:00 and still be home to watch the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I never find Superbowl Sunday to be that much less crowded than any other Sunday. The game doesn't start until 6:30 so most people can leave at 4:00 and still be home to watch the game.

That's true; Though if it clears out around 4, that's still a good day for me. I can ski all morning, take a long lodge break and do some schoolwork, then get back at it in the afternoon.  

31 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Hey, serious question: I want to ski Sunday because I don't care about the game and figure it won't be too crowded. But the forecast for Palmerton is calling for  rain in the afternoon. Tannersville's forecast is calling for 3-5 inches of snow.

I can get a free pass to Camelback, so in terms of money, the Blue vs. CBK choice is the same.

I'd rather ski at Blue, but also I'd rather ski in snow.

What say you PASRs? Where should I go?

I doubt it's gonna be rain at Blue and snow at Camelback.  It's two days out..forecasts change. Wait until tomorrow night and I'll give you the rundown.  If you happen to ski both areas in the same day it still only counts as one ski day. 

I honestly feel like sunday will have oretty normal crowds since the super super bowl isn't until 630pm. I never remember crowds being that much lighter due to the super bowl...if it rains crowds will be lighter.  I'm glad you aren't watching the super bowl. It's dumb. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trackbiker said:

I would go to Camelback for 2 reasons, altitude and latitude. CB is about 2000' at the top. Blue is 1400' at the top. CB is farther north.

Plus I get bored skiing the same place all the time. I like Blue better but CB has a lot of variety to offer as well.

Interestingly enough, there was a late season snow years ago.  JFBB was closed, so i went to Camelback.  i left lots of fluffy snow in Albrightsville (1800 ft) to find heavy wet sierra cement at Camelback.  So, the moral of the story is, Camelback can even fuck up the weather.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I honestly feel like sunday will have oretty normal crowds since the super super bowl isn't until 630pm.

Right, but the evening should be pretty dead. I was at Blue the Sunday of the Eagles-Vikings playoff game and the place was a ghosttown by 5pm. I just figure with weekend crowds the way they normally are, it's worth it to take advantage of odd chunks of uncrowded time.

Of course, now the forecast is calling for rain everywhere. 

14 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty have a great trip to Vermont. Stowe is the best ski resort east of the Rockies and it looks like it's gonna snow there. Will be good practice for Verbier in 2019..according to Eaf the 81 RTM might be too fat but I think they are perfect. 

Thanks Steeze. Heading out in a few minutes. Got my McDonald's and Burger King coupons ready for dinner tonight in Burlington. I hope they have fast food slopeside at Verbier. If my RTMs are too wide for the powder I'll have my Elons.

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Thanks Steeze. Heading out in a few minutes. Got my McDonald's and Burger King coupons ready for dinner tonight in Burlington. I hope they have fast food slopeside at Verbier. If my RTMs are too wide for the powder I'll have my Elons.

Some ski resorts in Europe have ski in ski out fast food. 

IMG_2523.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, saltyant said:

Ok, but they look pretty similar and I think the difference is like 200 feet or something, but I don't have Google Earth installed to verify length and vert. But personally I like both runs and am equally happy doing either.

image.png.21106277623eaaf894058385cb440281.png

You're judging length/vert of runs by a fucking trail map?  That's some serious Jerry shit right there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AtomicSkier said:

You're judging length/vert of runs by a fucking trail map?  That's some serious Jerry shit right there.

That wasnt my intent Atomic. I meant to illustrate that the trails look similar. I meant to run detailed Google Earth analytics on the trail, but I'm typing this from the rest stop on the New York Thruway and don't have the software installed on my Android. I'm sure Paradise is a couple feet longer, but I wonder how much??? Anyway I pulled off the turnpike to defend myself so you guys don't think I'm a jerry.

Salt

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

Salty did you make it to Burlington??  Where are you staying tonight??

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salt

Salty did you make it to Burlington??  Where are you staying tonight??

Yep I made it but if youd like play by play action I'll have to text you because the mods said to and I dont want a strike 2. So if you could post your phone number on this thread that would be great.

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty you should start a report thread. Looks like it's gonna start snowing tomorrow night at stowe and snow again on Wednesday.  What are you up to tonight and tomorrow??

Tonight I'm staying in the hotel. Currently eating dinner (Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut Bar and Keebler Pepper Jack Snack Pack). Tomorrow I'll check out Burlington, stop at Stowe for a preview, and then watch the Eagles play in the world series.

Great idea, I will have to start a Stowe thread. I just wanted to see how many posts this thread gets, since it has my call sign in it. At 294 replies right now so that means I'm getting pretty popular.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:07 AM, toast21602 said:

I'm going with $499 super earlybird, then $550, then max.

Holy cow, I just looked up the season pass rates at mountains near where I'm considering jobs.

Sun Valley is a astonishing $2,450. 

Taos: $1250 

Squaw Valley: $1,150

Mount Hood Meadows: $850

Yikes.