Colorado Skifari 4/4-4/11...

20 minutes ago, eaf said:

In what way?

IDK, I told once to AtomicJeff that I was gonna try going West next year, and now that the prices of the next year passes are on the verge of going up, I'm trying to decide whether to go to Italy again or really get an MCP and check out Alta/Snowbird/Snowbasin or Squaw/Mammoth. Not sure if I'll like that powdery springy kind of skiing, and I'll probably have only one week off work to do it anyway. Kinda hate resort prices in the US (and resort lodging too for that matter), they're sky high.

In an average week out west odds are it won’t snow or only snow a day or two. Conditions are most often chalky packed powder. I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at a resort out west.  I always stay in towns typically for under $100 a night.  

Snow changes...I would venture to guess that the snow in the woods tomorrow will be much more winterlike than on the trails because the tree skiing is sheltered from the wind and the sun.  At Jackson hole south facing terrain can be utter garbage conditions..refrozen crud while north facing terrain can have very nice snow. The great thing about most western resorts is that there are so many different exposures that you can ski around and find out what’s best.  I go skiing out west for the variety of terrain...the 9 powder days I got out west this season were simply a nice bonus.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eaf said:

In what way?

IDK, I told once to AtomicJeff that I was gonna try going West next year, and now that the prices of the next year passes are on the verge of going up, I'm trying to decide whether to go to Italy again or really get an MCP and check out Alta/Snowbird/Snowbasin or Squaw/Mammoth. Not sure if I'll like that powdery springy kind of skiing, and I'll probably have only one week off work to do it anyway. Kinda hate resort prices in the US (and resort lodging too for that matter), they're sky high.

Snow changes constantly with all kinds of stuff. Temperature is most important generally, which is influenced by all kinds of things aspect, solar radiation, snow depth, etc etc. Temp relates to water content which is paramount. When you understand these things you can always follow your nose to the best snow on the mtn. When you go skiing pick up the snow in your hand, look at the crystals and think about how the weather and other factors made it that way. 

GSS sweet fucking trip dude, Aspen is good but not as good as loveland. Snow is more spring like.

• Like 1

I went to Murphy’s for a third time last night.  Had a French dip and three double jack and cokes..my legs were pretty sore yesterday after skiing now they feel good. Will be weird not having the powder panic today and not standing in line 20+ minutes for first chair surrounded by hoots and hollers.  I haven’t booked room for tonight yet at Denver airport. The Hyatt place that I like is $199 which is out of my price range..best western plus where I’ve stayed before is $119..my flight home is at 1030AM and gets into Newark around 415PM..Eaf will probably say I’ll have to deal with rush hour traffic..better than getting in at midnight.  

• Like 2

ABasin 4/10...day 6 of 6

Today began with temperatures in the mid 20s and sunshine...I pulled into the lot at ABasin at a leisurely 850am and I was fifth row or so right along the snow..got my ticket and was on the Black mountain express a few minutes after 9. I had to piss bad so first ducked into some woods and ended up on some bumps under the lift. They weren’t bad..up black mountain again to Lenawee and I took a screaming fast too to bottom groomer..up black hawk and Lenawee again then the rope tow to the back side. I skied groomed part of Montezuma bowl and then woods lower down was midway through safety break and dropped lighter in snow...doh..then went up Zuma chair and another screaming groomer down the front top to bottom. Not many people out today..then took Pali to the top and skied the same route I skied on the powder day Saturday..pretty much Pali face and the spine. Wide open not quite moguls not quite chowder..took Pali lift again and skied west wall which was trying to corn up down to mid mountain lodge.  

I had had a Bloody Mary with coors light 8 ounce then an IPA. No soft pretzels out yet so I settled on Doritos. Talked to bartender a little and he said he works Saturday to Tuesday so missed most of the Perd but will be out tomorrow getting the leftovers. Speaking of leftovers..people were traversing a mile down east wall to get a couple fresh turns...I guess not so crazy considering what we go through for the Perder.  

After my break I skied into the woods below mid mountain lodge and lighter was working again then went up Pali again skied west wall still trying to corn up not that warm but very sunny.  Then took Lenawee to the top and did one final screamwer top to bottom..skied right back to my car.  Some cool girls were parked next to me doing impromptu karaoke last song they did was straight out of Compton. Drove Loveland pass to 70 got $32 in gas near Denver then had chili’s. At chili’s saw the Hyatt place price dropped from $199 to $149 so I called them direct and got them to take off $10 more...now posted up on the fifth floor. Flight doesn’t leave until 1030am tomorrow so I can enjoy the free breakfast.  Here’s a few pictures and I’ll post more later.  

F5C5EB14-5E57-4ECC-ADE8-8162E0275A94.jpeg

BD1D5C8D-253C-4FFA-A68F-D2752E078AEC.jpeg

D368A334-8E20-45D9-8441-D013EC8378DE.jpeg

F8AD7BFE-B5E6-4796-A175-A47EE3813C28.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Because my flight isn’t until tomorrow morning. 

Whats cool is earlier I was doing 70 on 70 and the temperature was 70...

Its so cool watching the temperature change out there. At the top of Pike's Peak it was 45 degrees. Near the bottom it was 75. During my descent, I went from freezing to being too hot within 30 minutes. Its rad.