3/1/24 Barneys was bodacious

I worked  late yesterday and was feeling a bit tired, but decided to go for a morning session. Made tail end of Quad open , mostly racers. I took a high speed run down challenge. I headed for Main Street second run and was greeted with Barney’s beautiful 2”” refresher about as good as it got this year aside from natural snow. 

Stayed on Barneys till 11ish . It was starting to get scraped off in a few places, but still skiing really nice. They seeded some bumps on King . 

IMG_5198.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

• Like 6

I rode this morning as I had to get out after a long week of actually working.

Bfg crew was there otherwise alot of ikons. Soft with some stick where they blew, hard where they didn't.

The chute lip is even bigger and first launch I was 33% rolling the windows down. Lazy I thought was the worst but as the sun baked things up it was all improving fast. 

• Like 4

It was pretty good today, albeit a little crowded. An event with racers continuously going up and down the Quad side didn't help.

Somewhat surprising is how well the mountain is holding up, especially after the yesterday's report of bare spots - no bare spots today, not even brown spots on Sidewinder, there wasn't even a hint of spring, so white and cold it was. Still I think that earlier this week conditions were better, softer and more pleasant to carve. Today most of the morning it was riding on a frozen base, rattling on small hard bumps and holes left from wet grooming, and was there even a field of blue ice at the very bottom of Paradise?

Lazy was clearly the worst with its minefield closer to the sharp right turn, and after trying all the trails several times I eventually settled on Widowmaker->Midway->Main being the best route down. Not crowded, not frozen, nice snow, less people to get back on the lift.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Lazy was clearly the worst with its minefield closer to the sharp right turn, and after trying all the trails several times I eventually settled on Widowmaker->Midway->Main being the best route down. Not crowded, not frozen, nice snow, less people to get back on the lift.

I think Lazy Mile is the most difficult trail on the mountain. Always in really, really crappy shape, somewhat narrow, and beginners everywhere. One even collided with me a few weeks ago when I made a run with @Johnny Law

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

I was finding it pretty good before, it was in fact one of my favorite trails. But smth is odd about it this season indeed.

Last weekend my friend and I ran Lazy once and it was so, so terrible. We were all like, W.T.F. dude? Hard, uneven, poorly groomed. If it's not that it's like skiing Sugarland. All other trails were grate. We should hire an investigative reporter to uncover the reasons for a sloppy Lazy Mile. I'll throw in my contribution... Three Captains Wafers and maybe half a Yoo-Hoo

Edited by saltyant

53 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I think Lazy Mile is the most difficult trail on the mountain. Always in really, really crappy shape, somewhat narrow, and beginners everywhere. One even collided with me a few weeks ago when I made a run with @Johnny Law

It’s a wasted run for me most of the time.  I like lazy mile when it first opens for the season for the variety of it and a few times it does have the best snow but it’s way to slow for my liking unless the snow is lightening fast and also smooth…I definitely had a few times this season where it was a foot deep thick marbles and cookies..good thing I’m an agile mofo..just straight ran that shit with my hands on my knees BenM style..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s a wasted run for me most of the time.  I like lazy mile when it first opens for the season for the variety of it and a few times it does have the best snow but it’s way to slow for my liking unless the snow is lightening fast and also smooth…I definitely had a few times this season where it was a foot deep thick marbles and cookies..good thing I’m an agile mofo..just straight ran that shit with my hands on my knees BenM style..

Agree 💯

3 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

I worked  late yesterday and was feeling a bit tired, but decided to go for a morning session. Made tail end of Quad open , mostly racers. I took a high speed run down challenge. I headed for Main Street second run and was greeted with Barney’s beautiful 2”” refresher about as good as it got this year aside from natural snow. 

Stayed on Barneys till 11ish . It was starting to get scraped off in a few places, but still skiing really nice. They seeded some bumps on King . 

IMG_5198.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

Nice pictures..they should seed big moguls on the chute..that would catch a few people coming off the lip off guard.  How was challenge?  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, tnt temp said:

It's amazing how good man made snow can be, isn;'t it?

We skied man made snow over bumps at montage last weekend.  So edgeable and smooth...snow making has come a long way.

They held the last Winter Olympics in china on 100% madmade

edit…I’m going tonight and skipping tomorrow I think. The hourly looks bad.

Edited by RidgeRacer

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice pictures..they should seed big moguls on the chute..that would catch a few people coming off the lip off guard.  How was challenge?  

That would be cool, Re name it Superstar.

That would be quite a buzzsaw for lip launchers . I met someone at Cannon mountain who got rekt by a mogul field. 
He lost an edge and went into a field at 40 mph. Busted up his ribs pretty badly and took quite a while to recover. 

Challenge was okay but there were a bunch of newbs on Falls . 

I returned for a late afternoon session and Barneys was haggard with turf in places and icy spots ☹️

Took a few runs with @mbike-ski Coming soon ditch was meh , I popped back out and couldn’t set an edge in one spot.

Main st was not bad. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just got back from a short late afternoon sesh.  Mostly lapped Come Around to confirm I dialed in some tricks I was working on yesterday.  Crowds were light when I arrived at 3 but kids kept funneling in, however they started the other 6 pack.  Snow I thought was still pretty good.  Ventured over to Dreamweaver and thought the snow was great on Lazy, and Sidewider than I hit while over there.  Big grass spot on Sidewinder but thats to be expected there.  The new 3rd jump in NMDW is no joke.  The first two arent bad but that 3rd one looks unforgiving.  All in all JADIP at Blue The True.  I'll be easy to spot this Spring.

20240301_155028.jpg

20240229_205934.jpg

• Like 5

Blown away. I wasn't expecting what's here tonight. No brown or bare spots that I've come across yet and almost spring like conditions. Slick in the middle... Loose on the sides. Razors is closed. Coming soon is fun. Glad I got tonight in

IMG_20240301_192900_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Blown away. I wasn't expecting what's here tonight. No brown or bare spots that I've come across yet and almost spring like conditions. Slick in the middle... Loose on the sides. Razors is closed. Coming soon is fun. Glad I got tonight in

IMG_20240301_192900_HDR~2.jpg

I like that you’re getting your blue mojo back!!!!  This morning in the walkie talkies, they were saying conditions weren’t safe and see how fast things turned around…oh no…turn around..every now and then I get a little bit..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I like that you’re getting your blue mojo back!!!!  This morning in the walkie talkies, they were saying conditions weren’t safe and see how fast things turned around…oh no…turn around..every now and then I get a little bit..

Haha. Even renewed my pass. Friday night crowds though....

Liftie was just lighting some kids up for throwing snowballs. Like in their face. Appreciate that

• Like 1

It has to be said and this is no disrespect towards Elk mountain because I really enjoy skiing there and it's really the only other place I like around here nowadays, but blue has more base. Period. I saw more brown and thin there than here tonight... And that was before the rain.