new trail update

skier89

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard both that it definitely wont be open, and also that it will be open, so who knows. i'm leaning more towards not open though. you'd think they'd update their website more often. there's still photos of me in the first page of the photo gallery, and that was in february or something?

IMHO, it would have made more sense to put in a second HSQ instead of the 6-Pack and use the money saved to add some trails. As it stands now there is too much uphill capacity and not enough downhill capacity. I love the high-speed lifts but everything gets skied off too quickly during busy times.

IMHO, it would have made more sense to put in a second HSQ instead of the 6-Pack and use the money saved to add some trails. As it stands now there is too much uphill capacity and not enough downhill capacity. I love the high-speed lifts but everything gets skied off too quickly during busy times.

but that makes way too much sense! i mean i guess the 6pack makes sense for future expansion, but uhhhhh, its gonna require a lot of expansion to really get full use out of the thing. even on the busiest weekends, you can still see plenty of chairs that dont go up fully loaded.

..plus both high speeds only run Thursday and Fridays after 4:00PM and on weekends...

My point exactly. Since they only run both HS lifts when I don't ski there anyway, I would have personally preferred that they add new trails before the new lift, or installed another HSQ AND some new trails instead of a 6-Pack.

Your point that the trails get skied off so quickly only reinforces my point of there being too much up-hill capacity verses downhill capacity.

For a season pass holder like yourself, it makes sense to get there at 7:00am and ski till 10:00am on a weekend. For someone paying for a full day pass, (and usually driving a lot farther) it doesn't.

I'll still ski Blue on weeknights, but I'll drive to Sno or Elk (or to NY) and ski on good conditions all day on weekends.

Funny thing is, I've skied Blue the most the last several seasons, but I've never skied there on a weekend day. And that goes to back when it was called Little Gap.

I'm not dissing Blue. I think it's a really well run ski area, with great snowmaking, grooming, and customer service. I realize that the park hounds love the 6-Pack, but from a skiers point of view, I'll go to Camelback or Sno on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night this coming season.

It's just hard to beat early weekend mornings when the lifts start running at 7:30AM..and you get run after run with no people...the lift isn't stopping and 8 runs the first hour on Razors/Challenge is very possible before getting fresh cord on Switchback, Lazy Mile, and Main Street..Then fresh cord in the Sidewinder park...before the Jibhonks wake up. Then a few speed runs on Paradise..a few more Razors/Challenge..maybe some bumps..then a human slalom down Lazy Mile..and off to the Booter Mountain Drive-Inn around 10:30AM with 22 runs and over 23k of vert. At Elk or Sno..it would be impossible to pack that much mad steezy skiing action in such a short window of time..plus they open later in the day..plus some weekend days aren't even crowded..and then you can get even steezier uncrowded vert.

"Sex" skiing at Blue can be had on Saturdays and Sundays but only till about 9 AM. After that everything is pretty much skied off and the human slalom race begins. Early ski days mean more time for naps anyway so I don't mind.

when i met Doug and Jeff at 7:30 Am we left at like 11:30 and the place wasn't very crowed at all

I only ski from 7:30 to 11 and by 10 I can't wait to leave. I am a ski hermit though so maybe I'm not the best person to ask about this stuff.

Edited by sexkitten

• 1 month later...

said it from the start the 6 pack was bad idea. they should have put in a quad and then dumped the 2x chair for another quad on the lodge side. dumb move. Too much uphill capacity to start and way under capacity on the lodge side. I'm sure this was a result of some kind of cheapo deal he got. They do everything 1/2 ass up there.

I like the new 6-pack...I get my 20-25k of vert in on a Saturday or Sunday morning an hour quicker..

Wouldn't you get your vertical just as fast on a HS Quad?

Do they even load 6 people/chair on weekend mornings?

I've never seen that lift filled on a consistent basis. Usually 2 or 3 people/chair.

• 1 month later...

Blue posted pictures of the new trail under the Comet Quad, not sure when though, just saw it today. No pictures of any pipes or guns though on the trail. Grading of the trail looks to be completed at least. The trail progressed nicely after seeing it barely changed over the past 2 season.

In the picture with the pick up truck: Looks like there could be a shortcut route if one were to cut thru the trees on the skiers left and drop into that open area on the side of the trail.

http://www.skibluemt.com/PhotoGallery

It looks like they've done a huge amount of work on that trail this year, it looks so different from the last time I was at Blue, much wider and completely re-graded. It seems such a shame that they cant go the last mile and get the guns in, is it really that much more work (Sno seem to be managing).

Another trail like this would add some much needed variety to Blue.