Blue the True (TR: 12/23/07)

toast21602

so today i woke up at 7:15, looked outside - no rain, looked at the radar - no rain, and decided to head up to Blue to get some good runs in because i knew it would be empty. empty it was. the conditions were great. grooming was good except for challenge, snow was fast, nobody was there, the only problem was that the chairs were wet. took a few runs down lazy to warm up and then i saw jeff and doug so i waited for them. took a bunch of runs with them down lazy, challenge, paradise. soooo foggy up top but it got much better towards the bottom. great skiing for how shitty the weather was.

so after a few runs we decided to take challenge again. i went first, followed by doug, and then jeff. doug and i got to the bottom and were in line waiting for jeff and he never came. we figured he fell or something and we would meet him next run. so we ride up the lift and we see this guy on challenge with a bunch of people around him, but we couldnt tell who it was because it was so foggy you could hardly see to the other side of the 6pack. doug and i skied down and there was jeff, laying on the ground in pain. ski patrol was there and when we rolled up on it they were cutting his pants to see what was wrong. the second i saw his leg i could tell that he had broken it. and most likely he did. R femur fracture. wasnt a compound fracture or anything so that was good. it swelled up like crazy though. he didnt seem to be in too much pain until we needed to move him to get on to the sled. we were up there for about 15-20 minutes getting him positioned and getting him in traction so there wouldnt be any more damage. ski patrol did a good job keeping him safe and warm and all that good stuff. they took him down to get the ambulence. his vitals were good the whole time which is a plus, he had feeling in his extremities and could move his toes so that was another plus. they ended up taking him to LVH. i have his skis, poles, helmet, and boot in my garage right now.

i'm sure he will be okay. its going to be a long recovery. it took me a 3 hour surgery and a 3 month recovery to get back into soccer when i broke my leg a while back and that was a pretty quick recovery. hopefully everything goes well from here. i'm sure he will be okay. keep him in your thoughts though because i know how rough it is to go through crap like that,

i guess we will find out later if he needed surgery or anything or if they just set it. i'm sure we will have a post from jeff at some point from his iphone letting us know how he is.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible news...Did he mention how it happened?

no he didn't. we were all just concerned about getting him in a position to move him to the sled without causing any more damage. i'm sure he will let us know what happened. but based on the bad conditions on the top of callenge and the poor visibility, i'm sure that could have something to do with it.

Sorry to hear about that Jeff. Sadly I think your season is over this year, it's going to take longer to recover from this than your shoulder. What sucks even more is the fact the season pretty much started. My best wishes to you and your recovery. I'm guessing that with the poor visibility/conditions you fell and your skis didn't pop off and it created enough torque to break your leg.

Sorry to hear about this again.

It was very sad to see Jeffs car sitting by mine in the parking lot and knowing that he was at the hospital.

Wow, that even choked me up a little...

I can't believe it, Jeffy...our thoughts are with you, bro. It won't be the same without you skiing, either in person or on here.

he didnt seem to be in too much pain until we needed to move him to get on to the sled. we were up there for about 15-20 minutes getting him positioned and getting him in traction so there wouldnt be any more damage. s

does blue have druggies there? or did they just move him?

it sucks so much when they dont give you drugs and try to put you on a sled.

holy shit thats a horrible idea blue. what the hell. thats really not good at all.

i never knew that. a mountain that big with that many weekend/holiday crowds should be stacked on morphine.

unless they have somebody there who is certified to prescribe or dispense drugs they cant really have any... especially if they are a minor.

Fuck man. It's kind of ironic when i was going down to the lower lot, i already see ambulances there, My thoughts were "Damn someone got f*cked up already." i pull into the lower lot and see Jon(toast). He tells me it's jeff in the ambulance and he has a broken leg...

Get better man. Im sure i'll be talking to you soon about whats going on with the trip