The Official Bring Back The Elevator Petition Thread

phillycore

As you ski (ride?) down Floyd's it's on skiers right. Take a few passes and look this over before you commit. They're NOT joking about the pickers, they will destroy whatever you're wearing!

I'll take an angle gauge over there and try to get an honest guess for you.

If you like steeps that are covered in loose packed powder, then stop up and give Jack a try.

Check out One Park WebCam, it's on their website. You can check conditions with it anytime. (seeing is believeing)

Pretty sure it's skier's left of Floyds- its off the right side of the last Rivershot headwall. If you stop at the bottom of Floyds, just past the turn on to the run-out, its to your left. Of course if you stop there you will have to skate back to the lift. Its great with fresh snow on it, suicide (for me at least) with it iced over. I've seen a couple people go down the trees right of Floyds with a lot of snow, but you have to fight the rhododendrons.

Edited by C1er

The area you're talking about is being cleared for cliff riding. It's definetly steeper than 45. (Good Luck!!!)

The Old School maps of the Mt. show "Elevator"

I guess they got tired of pulling cats out of the woods and dropped it from the line-up.

New cats can do awesome stuff, so you never know. They do aim to please the customer.

The area you're talking about is being cleared for cliff riding. It's definetly steeper than 45. (Good Luck!!!)

The Old School maps of the Mt. show "Elevator"

I guess they got tired of pulling cats out of the woods and dropped it from the line-up.

New cats can do awesome stuff, so you never know. They do aim to please the customer.

The trees to the right of Floyd's is the old Risk It Glade....and yes there are cliffs back there... a 7 foot one at the beginning and a 15foot one a little ways in...

Nothing I'm going to drop for dayam sure...

To the skiers right of Rivershot and to the skiers left of Floyd's is where the Elevator is and yes it's stickerbush city, steep, and survivable at the moment... not really skiable, however Dominick and I mad 6-7 sacrificial attempts at getting a clean run on it. I don't know if it's 45 degrees or not, but yeah it's steep but it's also short... It's basically a fun little chute that REALLY flattens out at the bottom then you head left onto the runoff where Rivershot and Floyd's come together at the bottom...

more than 45? really? ......

I tried to do some trig off a topo map but its not detailed enough to do the math. Seriously looking at it from river shot you think its a cliff the first few times, it took me a while to figure out what Jordan was talking about when he mentioned it a few years back. I hit it a few times last season at the height of the natural base and it was bad news even then, i have huge tears in my pants from the thorn bushes, but it was the steepest thing I've ever ridden. I rode everything at Stowe, Mount Snow, Tremblant, Stratton, everything else in the poconos, hunter, windham, belleayre. I can't think of anything east coast that is as steep - though maybe Whiteface or Killington or Jay has something I don't know, but from my history of places that is the steepest I've seen. It amazes me that it once was a trail because I can't imagine it holding snow without the bushes. While they make it unskiable, they also are making it skiable at the same time.

I hit it a few times last season at the height of the natural base and it was bad news even then, i have huge tears in my pants from the thorn bushes, but it was the steepest thing I've ever ridden. I rode everything at Stowe, Mount Snow, Tremblant, Stratton, everything else in the poconos, hunter, windham, belleayre. I can't think of anything east coast that is as steep

That says it all right there. Last year there was a clear path if you hopped in mid way down the last headwall of Rivershot. Even that's grown over now. It's amazing how quickly that stuff grows.

You hit the Elevator off of the last headwall of Rivershot. If you look to the right, just before the last headwall, you can still see the stubs from the old sign posts. As mentioned above, the area to the right of Floyds is Risk It. I actually miss Little Cliff Huck. I liked hitting that, on the way back to the lift. I think that this is the second year that they didn't blow snow onto it.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Thanks for the correction about which slope we're talking about. The area between Rivershot & Floyds is being cleared for use, It's just that with the extreme steep it's really difficult to work (you need to hang from a rope while working not to mention the "Death Brairs"). If you look up there you will see the tree stumps where they have done some cutting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see snow blown on it for next year.

Thanks for the correction about which slope we're talking about. The area between Rivershot & Floyds is being cleared for use, It's just that with the extreme steep it's really difficult to work (you need to hang from a rope while working not to mention the "Death Brairs"). If you look up there you will see the tree stumps where they have done some cutting.

HELL YEAH!!!

This is the area that we are looking for!!! Yeah it's steep, and not clearing it out completely isn't such a bad thing..... but making it skiable would be SUPURB!!!

JFBB is quickly becoming the premium skiers and riders mountain giving us what we want... Gladed runs, Early open, close late, open terrain policy, good rates and discounts, I can definitely live with needing to get a lift ticket every day with my season pass, parking across the street, and riding slow lifts if it means I can ski in the trees on the best quality man made snow in the poconos while others are waiting for their mountains to even open...

JFBB rules...

Thats why we need it back.

I'll be up there Saturday if it doesn't rain, I have a clinometer too so we can get real info.

If anyone is around and wants to meet up let me know.

I'm not sure how much snow will be on it after the warmth lately but i'll be at JFBB on Saturday. Unfortunately I'm going up with a bunch of people and while I will get away from them, it prob won't be until 11 or so.

Edited by Kevin.

I'm not sure how much snow will be on it after the warmth lately but i'll be at JFBB on Saturday. Unfortunately I'm going up with a bunch of people and while I will get away from them, it prob won't be until 11 or so.

How much snow that is on it won't be a problem. There is still a decent amount of snow in the trees. The issue might be ice, off trail.

I tried to do some trig off a topo map but its not detailed enough to do the math. Seriously looking at it from river shot you think its a cliff the first few times, it took me a while to figure out what Jordan was talking about when he mentioned it a few years back. I hit it a few times last season at the height of the natural base and it was bad news even then, i have huge tears in my pants from the thorn bushes, but it was the steepest thing I've ever ridden. I rode everything at Stowe, Mount Snow, Tremblant, Stratton, everything else in the poconos, hunter, windham, belleayre. I can't think of anything east coast that is as steep - though maybe Whiteface or Killington or Jay has something I don't know, but from my history of places that is the steepest I've seen. It amazes me that it once was a trail because I can't imagine it holding snow without the bushes. While they make it unskiable, they also are making it skiable at the same time.

this post speaks the truth. Elevator is the steepest thing I have skied in the east. It is also a pretty technical slope due to the double fall line.

btw, it holds snow just fine without the bushes ;)

sidenote: I hope they have the sense never to try and groom and maintain it like a normal run in the Poconos again They groomed one main chute down it about the width of a snowcat. Of course, this quickly turned to ice and people were constantly falling down it and hitting the trees at the bottom that year. The snow making piles on either edge of the main chute were fun though, and some of them even formed into mini-hucks :).

Jordan

Edited by jordan

more than 45? really? ......

I think he is talking about the cliffs to the skiers right of floyds. Of course they are steeper than 45 degrees, they are cliffs.

there is also a cliff in between elevator and floyds. Its at least 20 feet but the landing is flat and into trees. I have seen it hit, though, during the 02/03 season (which was a HUGE snow year for the poconos).

Edited by jordan

I think he is talking about the cliffs to the skiers right of floyds. Of course they are steeper than 45 degrees, they are cliffs.

there is also a cliff in between elevator and floyds. Its at least 20 feet but the landing is flat and into trees. I have seen it hit, though, during the 02/03 season (which was a HUGE snow year for the poconos).

that makes more sense...

I'll be in brown pants, brown argyle jacket, black helmet and lobster claw gloves say hi.

I will prune back a line through those bushes, as long as I can find this trail.

I'll be wearing exactly whats in the picture below this post. Red jacket, gray pants, white helmet, black and white goggles. My board is kinda brown/gray. I'm not sure what my timing will be but I'm going to scope out the elevator and some other east mountain stuff since I haven't been to JF at all this year, then at some point head to BB and ride park.

:bow:band:rock

JFBB is quickly becoming the premium skiers and riders mountain giving us what we want... Gladed runs, Early open, close late, open terrain policy, good rates and discounts, I can definitely live with needing to get a lift ticket every day with my season pass, parking across the street, and riding slow lifts if it means I can ski in the trees on the best quality man made snow in the poconos while others are waiting for their mountains to even open...

Don't forget the steep trails at Jack Frost B)

Sounds like Saturday may be turning into an unofficial PASR day. I'm going to try to go. Getting out before 2 or so may be tough.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer