The Official Bring Back The Elevator Petition Thread

phillycore

I wanted to start an official thread to let Peak and JF know how much we all miss the elevator trail.

It truly was a gem and offered expert skiers and riders something to be stoked about on east mtn.

If you'd like the chance to ski the Elevator again the way it used to be then please let Peak know your thoughts.

We know they read these forums and listen to what their core patrons want from them as they have come through for us.

Let's let them know we REALLY want this run back on the trail map before it's too far gone.....

John P. - Current and future Season Pass Holder

Here's a few recent quotes I've seen from skiers about the Elevator...

JF REALLY needs to re-open the elevator as it's truly a lost treasure...
those pictures arent even close to showing how steep "the elevator" is. its crazy steep.

Plus I found this quote on another ski site...(no, I didn't make this up)

"...Jack Frost's Elevator is steeper and slicker than most things I've found at Jay Peak"

They wouldn't even have to put it back on the map...maybe just clear some of the brush out like they have elsewhere on the Mt. so when conditions permit, expert skiers can enjoy some really challenging terrain. I'd hate to see terrain like that go to waste. It's like letting White Lightning at Sno grow over to the point where it's no longer skiable.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

if that shit brings a bunch of freaks over here like Doug did that one time i'm going to be pissed....

This thread is about the elevator and the hope of getting the brush cleaned out enough to make it skiable again... not your incessant whining... take that shit elsewhere :lol:

http://www.skireport.com/images2/trailmaps/large/221.jpg

More quotes I found about the Elevator...

I'm waiting for Elevator too, I wish they would trim the damn bushes during the summer it would be skiable now if it were not for that.

----

the elevator was sweet

----

what pisses me off is that JFBB was doing great until PEAK took over, and first eliminated the elevator

----

Things I want to see:

Clear out elevator a bit more.

----

What happened to The Elevator at Jack Frost...

----

"What was the deal with the elevator?"

Now you see it; now you don't...funny that it's listed everywhere as JF's "hardest trail".

BTW, Glenn, I've watched you ride and sort of have a general idea of what you can handle....and you'd be asking why the f*ck they roped it off. And shake your head at the answer

----

QUOTE(SkiPatrolNSP @ Oct 29 2006, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I just got back from the Ski Patrol Meetings at JFBB. Peak Resorts is very positive about when they want to turn on those machines and get the snow onto the mountains.

They also mentioned they would like to open Elevator again. They want to try and put some snow on it and make it skiable again this season.

----

Elevator, if they kept it as one of the "on the map" trails and blew snow on it, has potential to be one of the best runs in the area.

----

if peak won't do it, take a day or two over the summer and go up and clear it? i dunno whether blue did it or someone else did, but the trees off the right side of lazy are definitely more cleared out than they used to be, so someone's been clearing stuff in there.

That's what you should do, leave the entrance area thick to keep people out and then just clear the trail yourself.

the elevator was probably the most challenging run in PA, if not most of the east. Its a good 45 degrees or so. I remember being crazy scared of it when I was little. In previous years, most of it has been skiable just from the snow that blew over from rivershot. Is this not the case anymore? I hope you guys don't want them to try actually making snow on it like a normal run and grooming it again, right? What a disaster that was. It turned into a sheer ice face and stayed like that for the remainder of the season. It simply is too steep to maintain like a normal run in PA.

That's what you should do, leave the entrance area thick to keep people out and then just clear the trail yourself.

yeah, cutting vegetation on provate property isn't a crime or anything.

the elevator was probably the most challenging run in PA, if not most of the east. Its a good 45 degrees or so. I remember being crazy scared of it when I was little. In previous years, most of it has been skiable just from the snow that blew over from rivershot. Is this not the case anymore? I hope you guys don't want them to try actually making snow on it like a normal run and grooming it again, right? What a disaster that was. It turned into a sheer ice face and stayed like that for the remainder of the season. It simply is too steep to maintain like a normal run in PA.

And if it is raspberry bushes like it seems to be, you would need to cut it every couple of weeks unless you use a herbicide.

And if it is raspberry bushes like it seems to be, you would need to cut it every couple of weeks unless you use a herbicide.

Put it this way... I KNOW it's stickerbushes....and I KNOW they are all about an inch thick EASILY.

The sad part is it's the top section that is cleared out.. You can make like two jump turns and then you need to stop and plan where your best option to straightline the rest of it is and hope for the best... After 6-7 attempts neither PA RR or I made it down completely clean and we tried every angle imaginable from the top, coming at it from the right, coming at it from the middle of the rivershot headwall on a diagonal, etc.. Whatever we tried there simply wasn't a way to even straightline it cleanly without running over some kind of stickerbush. I probably have a few branches still lodged in my pants/jacket somewhere...lol They are reddish in color and loaded with thorns. I came pretty damn close to making it clean but ran directly into a bush-hole at the very bottom. It's one of those where you either make it or you get hung-up in the bushes and look like an ass.. I'd be more than happy with a clean 4 foot wide section from top to bottom...because there isn't anything currently. The snow on it is nice and it's even prety deep in spots (enough to have a 2-3" mini slide that went for a good 100 feet or so on my second attempt on Sat. nothing dangerous... it is PA we're talking about)

Putting it back on the map probably would not be a good idea without a winch-cat for sure.... but making is skiable for those that know it's there and desire to ski it... that would be a HUGE step in the right direction...

Peak is doing a good job though IMO... they blow snow into the woods, cleaned out the trees in challenge glade, etc.. Enough to keep me going back and leaving with a smile.... but The elevator is just too nice to completely die... It needs to be cleaned out and available to those that can and want to ski it... on the map, off the map... it needs to be cleared out.

JF still has more to offer than anywhere else around it when it comes to trees, and open terrain... if they took that away... I'd be skiing elsewhere, we're stuck in Pa. and we need to make it interesting from time to time and not everyone wants to head into the park to do it.

In previous years, most of it has been skiable just from the snow that blew over from rivershot. Is this not the case anymore? I hope you guys don't want them to try actually making snow on it like a normal run and grooming it again, right? What a disaster that was. It turned into a sheer ice face and stayed like that for the remainder of the season. It simply is too steep to maintain like a normal run in PA.

Yeah there's plenty of snow on it right now, most of it likely blow over and some natural, which is fine. I wouldn't want them to blow on it or even put it back on the map....just to clear it a bit, like they do elsewhere on the Mt.

there's no way it's 45 degrees..30-35 degrees perhaps..and it seems like anybody can ski it so what is there to bring back..if it was an official run..it would get sideslipped by all the Tom Dick and Harrys..anyway..was it skiable on the January 17th PASR day???

It wasn't skiable at the PASR day or at all this year because of the growth. Last year you could jump in midway down the last headwall on Rivershot but the actual entrance was well above that. Me and Phillycore spent a good part of the day on Saturday trying to figure out a way. There looked to be a line maybe 2 feet wide but that's really not skiable, we tried. Plus whatever isn't covered with growth will be by next season if it isn't cleared out.

there's no way it's 45 degrees..30-35 degrees perhaps..and it seems like anybody can ski it so what is there to bring back..if it was an official run..it would get sideslipped by all the Tom Dick and Harrys..anyway..was it skiable on the January 17th PASR day???

Its the closest thing to 45 degrees I've ever seen if its not. I really can't think of anything steeper that I've seen for a sustained pitch like that anywhere in VT, NY or PA.

The bushes actually ended up ripping my pants the last time I did it in a bunch of places, pretty much ruined the pants.

I don't think they should clear cut it, but I think encouraging it to basically be a glade of bushes, and ultimately a glade of trees would be the ideal solution. Cut maybe 4 or 5 lines through it, don't put it on the map, and let the islands of bush grow thicker and thicker in between the lines so it gets more defined.

its definitely steeper than 35 degrees

Jordan

Is the elevator currently skiable???? I want to tame that beast once and for all...with a radar gun..and Atomic Jeff taping with his GS43987 camara..

Pa RR and I tried it last Saturday and it's not what I'd call skiable.. but you can survive it if you don't mind stickerbushes... and a lot of them...

Is the elevator currently skiable???? I want to tame that beast once and for all...with a radar gun..and Atomic Jeff taping with his GS43987 camara..

Maybe another foot or so of snow (to cover up the brush) would make it skiable. If people express interest in it, maybe they'll end up clearing it out some and you can tame the beast next season.

They do it all the time all over the NE, how do you think any of the trees are rideable. Hell Suicide Six has a bunch of guys from Woodstock that clear that shit out in the summer.

If your serious talk to them about it and they should let you trim some shit down, if anything your doing them a favor. If its really 45 degrees I would go to JF just to ski it.

How would one find this trail ?

Edited by Johnny Law

As you ski (ride?) down Floyd's it's on skiers right. Take a few passes and look this over before you commit. They're NOT joking about the pickers, they will destroy whatever you're wearing!

I'll take an angle gauge over there and try to get an honest guess for you.

If you like steeps that are covered in loose packed powder, then stop up and give Jack a try.

Check out One Park WebCam, it's on their website. You can check conditions with it anytime. (seeing is believeing)