Where to go and when?

RootDKJ

So I got a call from a vendor of mine today that I've done quite a bit of business with this year and they want to arrange a ski trip to kick back and relax after all the work and BS we've had to go through getting this project off the ground, implemented and updated. In all honestly, they did a great job supporting our ridiculous requirements.

So they are up to going anywhere, but want to stay in the East for 5 to 7 days. They seem to like the idea of coming to Vermont (from Toronto, Canada). They mentioned Killington, but honestly, I'm really kind of Killington'd out and the season hasn't even started. I was thinking more along the lines of Stowe. I usually book my ski vacations around what's convenient for me and my wife, but these guys want to go when conditions usually good. I was thinking last week in January / 1st week in February.

So where would you go and more importantly when? All expenses paid.

Also, would you have concerns on taking such a trip knowing you will have to do business with this company in the future?

I haven't been to too many places in Vermont, but how about Stratton? I suggest it since it has that whole village of shops and restaurants. There is plenty of slopeside lodging (at a premium price). We've had fun every time we went there.

concerns? probably not. as long as you act the way you would when you are doing business with them then you should be fine.

My actions, will be pretty typical for me...probably with less drinking than usual. My concern is more on the HR front.

From our Code of Conduct Policy

A conflict of interest may exist when employees, officers and directors are involved in activities for personal gain (whether measured in tangible or intangible benefits), that might interfere or appear to interfere with the objective performance of their duties and responsibilities. A conflict of interest also may exist when employees, officers or directors are involved in activities that could reflect negatively on the reputation of the Company.

Making payment in any form, directly or indirectly, to or for anyone for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business or obtaining any other favorable action or terms.

Engaging in any other outside activity that influences or appears to influence the objective decisions required of employees, officers or directors in the performance of their duties or service.

So I talked to my dad about this and his thoughts are to offer this company to pay for some of the trip. Let them pay for the house and meals, and just pick up the cost of my lift tickets.

Safety is very important in the work place and must be practiced among co workers and business affiliates. Make sure to have plenty of safety meetings on the slopes :)

yes...the key in any business relationship :rolleyes:

Well, they are from CanadaB). Seriously, I think they are more into drinking then I am.

I haven't been to too many places in Vermont, but how about Stratton? I suggest it since it has that whole village of shops and restaurants. There is plenty of slopeside lodging (at a premium price). We've had fun every time we went there.

Stratton is a great option, considering that they are very recreational skiers (once every few years kinda guys). There's one guy on planning to go who's gets out 4-5 times each season.

Edited by RootDKJ

As far as HR goes why don't you just ask your HR department. They may have the rules in place for various reasons. To scare people, to strictly enforce them, to cover their asses. It all depends. Get an answer from them before moving forward, after all... you may break every rule they write, but if they don't enforce them then you are good to go. I've signed off on a ton of rules at various jobs, and 99% of the time the rules only applied to certain people. It sounds like you did an awesome job working with them. I'd be shocked if your company is against you having some leisure time with them. After all, it is just going to make the relationship stronger (unless you puke on one of them in a drunken stupor).

As far as HR goes why don't you just ask your HR department. They may have the rules in place for various reasons. To scare people, to strictly enforce them, to cover their asses. It all depends. Get an answer from them before moving forward, after all... you may break every rule they write, but if they don't enforce them then you are good to go. I've signed off on a ton of rules at various jobs, and 99% of the time the rules only applied to certain people. It sounds like you did an awesome job working with them. I'd be shocked if your company is against you having some leisure time with them. After all, it is just going to make the relationship stronger (unless you puke on one of them in a drunken stupor).

Based on the last 10 years of experience, I find that my company's HR people are full of lazy ass people, who will just print me out the policy and tell me to read it over. You are correct however. They should interpret the rules and make a decision if or how they apply to my situation. I think my HR department has lost the ability to look at an individual situation anymore. The company has grown so large, while their department has downsized. I'll run it past my old boss, and if he receives the idea well, then I'll run it past my current boss. And I'll pay for part of the trip to attempt to keep things legit. This way if my company ever said anything, I could just say I stayed with some friends (kinda true), oh here and look...I even have a receipt for my lift tickets.

It turned into a cool project. I wasn't really in to it at the beginning though, but it turned into a multi-million dollar project that was executed very well thanks to my engineering:wiggle. It was very well received by the new management at my company as well. In fact there will be around a $300K follow up project next year, and probably the year after as well. The company I worked with, did a great job meeting all of my demands as well.

:cheers: sounds like a great way to celebrate. i'd definately be at stowe or the bush though - strattons too disneyish, let 'em see a real vt town/resort. i'd even say mt snow, great snowmaking and the front face is blue cruiser heaven!

What's the bar scene like at Mount Snow? I think they are going to want to drink (Canada eh?), as Killington was already mentioned as a place to go.

What's the bar scene like at Mount Snow? I think they are going to want to drink (Canada eh?), as Killington was already mentioned as a place to go.

the barn and the silo are right there and have been good when iv'e been there but some of the AZer's could answer that alot better than me - i'm all about sippin brews in front of the fireplace in the evenings these days :cheers:

then Stowe..don't slum it in southern Vermont..it's mostly people from Jersey.. :nana

somewhat true lotsa joisey and newyawkas but there more fun than newenglanduhs anyway!

I can't believe this but I agree with you, Stratton, Okemo, Snow suck fat monkey balls.

Go to Stowe end of story.

Where is the love for Jay Peak on this forum? I think its on par if not better than Stowe. Especially when your looking for a less crowded place.

Jay Peak is great but this is a money is no object thing and for intermediates and people interested in nightlife I give Stowe the nod..

Ah I forgot about the origional topic. Yes if money is no issue than definately Stowe. Jay Peak is cheaper and kind of out in the woods without nightlife.

Jay Peak is great but this is a money is no object thing and for intermediates and people interested in nightlife I give Stowe the nod..

Key -

Not on my dime, but I'll likely pay the costs of my own lift tickets.

Looking for "on the mountain"

They are intermediates (some beginners)

Need a place for the Canadians to get their drink on.

Key -

Not on my dime, but I'll likely pay the costs of my own lift tickets.

Looking for "on the mountain"

They are intermediates (some beginners)

Need a place for the Canadians to get their drink on.

where do you want to go? thats what i would be asking myself.

Stowe or Jay. I did Killington, Stratton, Mount Snow, and Stowe last year.

Stratton, Mount Snow, and Killington have the advantage of a shorter drive. Thats it. So if you are going for more than a weekend go to Stowe or Jay.

As for HR policy, it is probably forbidden officially. But fuck that, it happens all the time.

My dad took a bunch of ski/fishing/car racing trips with suppliers for his previous company. I even went on a few of them and I don't even work there. This is how business works - its just like corporate box seats or golf outings. If they are doing what you need from them on the supply side and you aren't picking them over a superior supplier just because of the trips, I'm all for it. Life is too short to let HR nannies cramp an opportunity to have fun at work when there is nothing actually wrong with it.

Edited by Kevin.

Thanks Kevin. I'm meeting my old boss for some beers after work today and I'm going to discuss this with him. He's worked here for 37 years, so I'm sure he's got some good advice on this, and I know I can trust him to keep this between just me and him.

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of where you go, avoid MLK weekend (January 16-18 this year), and any time in February. I worked up in VT, and February was a nightmare from end to end. I usually didn't have a day off all month. Different states have different winter school vacations, so you end up with the Mass crowd one week, locals and NH the next week, NY/NJ the week after, and so on.

Last week in January, you're likely to hit some good conditions and get some decently empty slopes. Downside, January is definitely the coldest month of the year in VT. But skiing with Canucks, they shouldn't have a problem with that.

We really like Killington just not on MLK weekend. We like to do mid to late February, Monday thru Friday with skiing on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. I think (sorry, I know you're tired of it) that Killington is probably best due to the varied terrain on mountain, the variety of bars and restaurants off mountain and the large number of "nicer" hotels super close to the mountain. Also, Killington is one of the better know Vermont mountains to Joe Public and seems more prestigious (if that's the right word) to visit than Stowe. I would like to suggest Mt. Snow but am finding it difficult because there isn't shit to do apres ski and the mountain seemed to be comprised of a few trails that interconnected. I only mention it because the "ski in/ out" hotel was really, really nice. Maybe if you have a group of people and go on the weekend the apres activities might be better.

Edited by sexkitten