Are Skiing "Manners" Dead?

JollyJake99

Once again, I've been wondering where & how some individuals have learned, or not learned, the propper manners for skiing, particularly in the lift lines & riding the lift.

As for ski poles, is it not correct to remove both straps from the wrists at or just before the loading spot; then transfer both poles to one hand for the ride to the top (other variations seem O.K. here); and last, ski away from the lift at the top still holding both poles in one hand?

Where did the Generation Whine cohort get the idea the one skis away from the chair at the top by using the poles in the manner you would if you were busting out of the starting gate? Or is this just one more aspect of the personality we need to expect from Gen. Whine? I'd guess it's the latter since the local community college is now offering a course for businesses on how to manage this age group because of their delicate little egos.

Further, what's the thinking behind standing perpendicular to the lift line therby preventing those who really want to get on the lift from doing so?

Sib, if you read this, I'd appreciate your comments as your experience spans both the eastern & western areas.

• Like 1

Once again, I've been wondering where & how some individuals have learned, or not learned, the propper manners for skiing, particularly in the lift lines & riding the lift.

As for ski poles, is it not correct to remove both straps from the wrists at or just before the loading spot; then transfer both poles to one hand for the ride to the top (other variations seem O.K. here); and last, ski away from the lift at the top still holding both poles in one hand?

Where did the Generation Whine cohort get the idea the one skis away from the chair at the top by using the poles in the manner you would if you were busting out of the starting gate? Or is this just one more aspect of the personality we need to expect from Gen. Whine? I'd guess it's the latter since the local community college is now offering a course for businesses on how to manage this age group because of their delicate little egos.

Further, what's the thinking behind standing perpendicular to the lift line therby preventing those who really want to get on the lift from doing so?

Sib, if you read this, I'd appreciate your comments as your experience spans both the eastern & western areas.

I of course read posts from you, JollyJake.

Of course, it's not only a matter of politeness, but also safety to remove polestraps from your wrists so that the poles don't get lodged in the snow and yank you from the lift as you leave the station, etc. Simple common sense. And of course, any good skier in reasonable shape should be able to use their stomach muscles to simply stand up and ski off the lift without using their poles like some old woman. I mean, if Sibby, broken wrists, bad knee, big butt, etc., can do it, why can't these young studs do it???? If you don't have the stomach muscles, simply placing your one hand on the chair seat and pushing upwards should do the trick EVEN WHEN the darn chair seems to be down at ankle level because they haven't shoveled sufficiently. Seriously. If I can do it, anyone should be able to do it. And it's always these young MALE idiots who chose to plant their damn poles in between my skis to push off. Fortunately, I usually can spot these gapers before I get on the chair and I just don't get on the chair with them if I can avoid it. I achieve this because I usually ski week days and not holidays and there is usually no one around to care. And yes, I usually give an earful to those idiots who block the singles corral while they rearrange themselves prior to getting in line. Jake, all I can tell you is that these people have paper tickets. Where they hail from I don't know. Probably Texas......

Latest incident here - New Year's Day - Three of us locals getting on the lift. Last possible instant. OUT OF NOWHERE some snowboarder zings up, sits on the chair as it rounds the bend, not a word out of him, right before the guy on my left is about to sit down. Guy-on-left is already in the process of sitting as this happens and ends up in the kid's lap, now I have legs all over the place, I am jettisoned into the pit in front of us, along with guy-on-my-right. Two foot drop, then another one foot drop. I narrowly avoid the chair stanchion. Guy-on-right is cursing and this is a guy in his 30's, normally the super mellow type. I was fine, but I tell you, visions of more knee operations had passed in front of me. And what was this kid's problem? The line was like a two minute wait. All he had to do was ask if he could join us at any point and we'd have let him. Or if he'd found out he was odd man out in the group behind us he could have ridden alone no big deal, this is Montana. Instead, let's knock everyone over because you can't just SPEAK UP.

whats wrong with people holding both poles in one hand on the lift? i usually do that or sit on them so i have my hands free if i need to mess around with my jacket/helmet music ect.

He's saying you're supposed to do that.

every man for himself. you have to push away from the lift before you get taken out by up to 5 other people riding with you.

Everyone should just be standing up and skiing off. This isn't a race out of a starting gate. That's why you have accidents and the chair keeps stopping. If everyone would behave civilly and learn manners we wouldn't be having all these lift interruptions.

Everyone should just be standing up and skiing off. This isn't a race out of a starting gate. That's why you have accidents and the chair keeps stopping. If everyone would behave civilly and learn manners we wouldn't be having all these lift interruptions.

clearly you've forgotten the caliber of skier we have to deal with on any given weekend afternoon. after about 10am, blue mountain becomes survival of the fittest in all high-traffic areas, whether that's the lift line, unloading area, the lodge, or the trail.

clearly you've forgotten the caliber of skier we have to deal with on any given weekend afternoon. after about 10am, blue mountain becomes survival of the fittest in all high-traffic areas, whether that's the lift line, unloading area, the lodge, or the trail.

QFT

every man for himself. you have to push away from the lift before you get taken out by up to 5 other people riding with you.

Sadly this is true.

any good skier in reasonable shape should be able to use their stomach muscles to simply stand up and ski off the lift without using their poles like some old woman.

Even when my knees at in my chest because the lift pad is a disaster can I push myself off of the lift chair so I am right there with you on this one.

The six pack is actually scary to me after like 10 AM. I feel like I could honestly get taken out at anytime.

Camelback is no different (obviously).

Its almost like natural selection.

Edited by askier87

• 2 weeks later...

Using your poles in getting off isn't as bad as pushing off the chair.

Disagree. Its not really a push off of a chair... its more a push up to a standing ski position. Pole plants coming off the lift cause pileups. This is especially dangerous in PA/NJ where the lifties at the top are on cell phones/drinking a beer/beating off to pics of dougs old avatar/ripping their one hitter... lifties around here (with exceptions) pay poor attention and sometimes induce piles of people that seem inspired by Warren Miller vids. The only near guarantee- somewhere in that pile there will be someone wearing jeans or a one piece denim suit. Usually they're located near or at the bottom.

seriously? youre worried about how people use their poles to get off a chair? i like that you wanted sib to comment cause she lives out west. what difference does that make? do the westerners have different types of ski poles that allow you to get off lifts easier?

Why shouldn't people worry about this? Using poles can cause pile-ups. And honestly, you've got to be completely and utterly phucktarded to not be able to dismount a chairlift without using poles.

Its not a matter of not knowing how to use poles... its when these idiots plant poles between the skis of other skiers... Dayskiers amaze me with some of the idiocy they display. Just the other day I saw a guy lose his glove over the protective fencing by the bullwheel at Tanglwood... so the guy reaches over to grab it without thinking. One of the lifties was shoveling and noticed that this moron was about to be decapitated by a chair that was coming around and ran to yank mr. gaper out of the way before (further) brain damage could occur.

i just wait till the last second to get off. usually im in the singles line so im far right on the couch. that chair pretty much stops at the station so its really not that hard to get off. just stand up. you do it everyday when you sit down on a normal chair. its the same

Eh Doug, sometimes pole sitting is necessary when you have to take off gloves, etc. Granted, I prefer to be the one who's pole is sat on, but ya know. As for turning on traverses- Doug. KNOW THE CODE. haha. I don't know what that has to do with the situation, but it sure is fun to yell at bad skiers from the chairlift.