Next Years Goals/Hit List

Ride Delaware ?

• 3 months later...

Crossed Aspen off the list in favor of other points west, including Jhole/Targhee. Might try to swing up to Schweitzer while I'm out there. We're renting a place in New Hampster between xmas and new year's so I'll be checking out Gunstock and possibly Loon. Lee Peak/SkiVegas are new additions, may check out some other nevada mountains as well, time permitting. Powder Mag had a good feature on Nevada BC. Very timely! Euro trip looks more real, Mrs. Ghoul gave me a thumbs up to go. She's stoked to get my ass out of this house as much as possible. My plan works every year, :rock

Crossed Aspen off the list in favor of other points west, including Jhole/Targhee. Might try to swing up to Schweitzer while I'm out there. We're renting a place in New Hampster between xmas and new year's so I'll be checking out Gunstock and possibly Loon. Lee Peak/SkiVegas are new additions, may check out some other nevada mountains as well, time permitting. Powder Mag had a good feature on Nevada BC. Very timely! Euro trip looks more real, Mrs. Ghoul gave me a thumbs up to go. She's stoked to get my ass out of this house as much as possible. My plan works every year, :rock

I have to ask...why would you put Schweitzer before my ski area? Schweitzer's 80 miles further, the vertical drop has us beat by 80 feet, but we have more acreage and the summit is higher by 400 feet so our snow stays better. We both have fog and snowghosts. So, why did you pick Schweitzer?

Schweitzer:

194mountain_facts.jpg

Whitefish:

12-31-07_bigmtnpano.jpg

02-16-07_bigmtn.jpg

Edited by sibhusky

Good chance I'll be in Montana this year. Not going that far north though. Will probably just be hitting Bridger and Big Sky. Going to be doing a road trip starting in SLC and driving up to montana hitting resorts between.

hmm...maybe one day i'll get to Whitefish Mountain Resort :drool

I've been trying to get aerial shots of Hellroaring Basin and the back side, but haven't found them yet.

Found this:

pixel.gifpixel.gifDavid-Marx-Photo-001948-Cliff-Jumping-Alpine-Skier.jpg

Above is somewhere in Hellroaring Basin, presumably Picture Chutes with excellent snow cover.

Edited by sibhusky

I have to ask...why would you put Schweitzer before my ski area? Schweitzer's 80 miles further, the vertical drop has us beat by 80 feet, but we have more acreage and the summit is higher by 400 feet so our snow stays better. We both have fog and snowghosts. So, why did you pick Schweitzer?

Schweitzer:

194mountain_facts.jpg

Whitefish:

12-31-07_bigmtnpano.jpg

02-16-07_bigmtn.jpg

Schweitzer looks to have some nice wide-open areas and bowls, Big Mountain just looks great. You do a great job of promoting the mountain, they should give you a free season pass. It must be something about the location but as nice as it looks it never seems to be on anyones "hitlist". I'd still like to try it, but I'm having trouble justifying to many long distance trips after a fantastic season in Tahoe last year.

Schweitzer looks to have some nice wide-open areas and bowls, Big Mountain just looks great. You do a great job of promoting the mountain, they should give you a free season pass. It must be something about the location but as nice as it looks it never seems to be on anyones "hitlist". I'd still like to try it, but I'm having trouble justifying to many long distance trips after a fantastic season in Tahoe last year.

We do have more tree skiing than bowl skiing. There is Ptarmigan Bowl for more subdued bowl skiing, and then the "bowl" of East Bowl is treed. And Hellroaring Basin is not for the timid skier unless you stick to Hellfire. Most of the open areas there end up in tighter trees towards the bottom.

Aerial of Hellroaring Basin: Picture Chutes can be seen sort of in the middle, Gray's Golf Course is the area without cliffs on the left, Glory Hole is more in the distance on the right.

Rotating panoramic taken sort of over Hellroaring Basin and summit

Edited by sibhusky