quiver killers

Justin

2620101210113235414645l.jpg

saw this over on NS, anybody heard of them? they're claiming pretty extensive testing in all types of conditions, even with tele bindings, and they also claim they wont void any warranties on either skis or bindings because they're barely bigger than regular mounting screws.

basically they're inserts slightly bigger than mounting screws that you can either drill and tap into your ski or remount into your existing screw holes and set with epoxy. then you just use machine screws (they recommend blue loctite to protect against loosening) to mount your bindings and you can swap them around from ski to ski like a snowboard. pretty much like the old line system. seems like they would get loose from vibrations but then again snowboards have the same technology. I can imagine if you just keep an eye on the torque of the screws (like you would on a snowboard) these being fine.

$60 for a 36 pack, enough for two pairs of skis. kinda expensive but way cheaper than buying another pair of bindings.....plus you can take your bindings off and flatten out your skis so you can jam more skis into a bag when you fly with them.

if you think about it, it's basically the same exact thing as drilling and tapping in regular mounting screws.

http://www.quiverkiller.com

Looks like a stupid idea. If you can afford multiple pairs of skeeze I'm sure you can afford multiple pairs of bindings. I don't trust it and I doubt I'm mechanical enough to switch binders.

it's basically the same thing snowboards have used for years, it works. plus it allows you to easily fit two pairs of skis in a one pair bag when travelling cause you only need one set of bindings.

Looks like a stupid idea. If you can afford multiple pairs of skeeze I'm sure you can afford multiple pairs of bindings. I don't trust it and I doubt I'm mechanical enough to switch binders.

you can't turn a fucking screw driver?

i'm just amazed it's taken this long for you skiers to come up with this. i mean you've stolen just about everything else you can from snowboard design/development. this seems like it would have been one of the first things you guys latched onto being that it is so simple.

I'd rather not use a screwdriver let the experts in the ski shop deal with binder installs. I actually don't own a screwdriver but we have them at work. As for travel ski bags hold two pairs of fat skis and binders fine.

And why are screws $60

if you don't like them, don't want them, don't own a screwdriver, don't know how to adjust your bindings, don't comment.

My opinion is it's a dumb idea and with people adjusting their own binders there could be more injurys.

Except you could still have the ski shop mount the screws, so it's just screw into to the professionally setup binding location. Are you this worthless with girls as well? Time's up where's the photo?

Edited by Glenn
  • Like 2

I'd rather have enough bindings for each ride, but right now I only have 1 set of bindings. That said, I've put different bindings on every board I've owned, and I keep bindings alive a lot longer than boards. Why you wouldn't want the option is beyond me. The screw prices will come down if they get used more.

But then do you have to do a binding check with each remount? Oh and I use screwdrivers to screw bronze tabs onto bronze markers. I just don't trust my screwing to save me from a malfunction.

Ski bindings are simple devices with like 10 moving parts any idiot can figure out the basics in five minutes. The binding your skiing on is pretty much the same as one 40 years ago excluding materials of course. This device changes nothing about the way the binding operates so basically unless you fucked the original mount there is nothing to worry about.

couldn't disagree more. I'd love to grab a new pair of skis but really don't feel like dropping $200+ on another pair of bindings...I could take bindings off my skis now but then that would make them useless.

Their a great idea for pow, park or racing skis. You can switch between widths and stiffnesses. I would never mount a park binding on a pow ski tho. I'll stick with the original drilling tho, unless I want a rail specific ski, versus an all mountain ski.

seems sick if it would work... avoids the rediculous mounting fees also. the other day i checked in at the pelican in quakertown and they wanted 75 to mount skis and bindings that werent purchased there. rediculous

This is the one time where purchasing some stuff from shops comes in handy. Buy a pair of bindings once in a while or rack up a bill with other stuff. I came in to Nestor's with skis, bindings, and boots that were all not purchased there. No fitting fee, and I got the "I bought all this stuff here" price on the mount, because I bought footbeds, a ski bag, and 2 other pairs to have the bindings adjusted for the new boots. I got out of there about the cheapest I could.

seems sick if it would work... avoids the rediculous mounting fees also. the other day i checked in at the pelican in quakertown and they wanted 75 to mount skis and bindings that werent purchased there. rediculous

Shops now are trying to fight the internet so everything is going up. Its really not there fault just trying to stay in business.

Mounting bindings is easy, if your decent with tools you can do it no problem.

Shops now are trying to fight the internet so everything is going up. Its really not there fault just trying to stay in business.

Mounting bindings is easy, if your decent with tools you can do it no problem.

I wouldn't recommend DIY mounting here....its pretty simple but the slightest fuck up can really bite you in the ass. always better to have someone else do it, that way if/when they fuck up you can have a ball yelling at someone.

shops are always fucking nuts about mounting bindings. thats why I almost always buy skis with bindings and have wherever I buy them from mount them. even if I wind up not getting the best price I know I'll still wind up saving money by not getting my shit mounted. most places online and most shops will just do it for free if you get all your shit there.

The whole ski binding thing is really becoming a monopoly. They need to come up with some universal mount pattern and start selling skis with inserts thats NOT the line reactors. it's pretty ridic that you can have skis in one hand and bindings in the other and have to pay an insane amount to combine the two. it really defines logic especially since snowboards have add insert technology for years and years and years now.

I wouldn't recommend DIY mounting here....its pretty simple but the slightest fuck up can really bite you in the ass. always better to have someone else do it, that way if/when they fuck up you can have a ball yelling at someone.

shops are always fucking nuts about mounting bindings. thats why I almost always buy skis with bindings and have wherever I buy them from mount them. even if I wind up not getting the best price I know I'll still wind up saving money by not getting my shit mounted. most places online and most shops will just do it for free if you get all your shit there.

The whole ski binding thing is really becoming a monopoly. They need to come up with some universal mount pattern and start selling skis with inserts thats NOT the line reactors. it's pretty ridic that you can have skis in one hand and bindings in the other and have to pay an insane amount to combine the two. it really defines logic especially since snowboards have add insert technology for years and years and years now.

look at it this way. how different is one snowboard binding from next, aside from burton's EST system? they're all pretty much the same, with a baseplate, a highback, and some straps. the difference in the bindings comes in the highback and straps, and the material the baseplate is made from, but the shape of the baseplate, for the most part, is all the same. ski bindings don't work like that. look at the difference between the pivot/fks binding and something like a marker m11.0. the m11 has a dual cam heel, which allows the user to step into the binding really easily, but requires a longer mounting length for the extra parts, whereas the pivot/fks has the shortest mounting pattern of any high performance binding on the market, at the sacrifice of it being a huge pain to step into in soft snow. same goes for the toe piece. the marker is designed to have the least amount of elastic travel possible and provides a very 'locked in' feeling, whereas the pivot/fks is the complete opposite. it's designed to have the most elastic travel on the market, allowing you a split second to regain your balance before you get kicked out of the binding. the m11.0 is a great binding to go on a ski that's primarily used for carving groomers. it's a horrible binding to put on a park ski.

the problem with creating some sort of interface so that all bindings can use a plate or something with a standard mounting pattern is that you get into the issue of stack height. FIS limits your stack height to some specific number of millimeters off the snow (i think? i don't race...), so creating a binding with a mandatory plate under it would make everything race related far more complicated. same goes for park/freeride skis. i want to be as absolutely close to my ski as possible, with minimal stack height, hence why i use pivots. the pivot accomplishes this at the sacrifice of adjustability. if it used a track heel with a tab adjustment or wormscrew like most other bindings, you gain a lot more adjustability, but then you're adding at least half a centimeter to your stack height.

that was quite the brain dump, hope that all makes sense. line's idea was good, i just think it's going to be really, really difficult to make some sort of interface that works well in all scenarios.