utah

toast21602

Lol Moe all the guys going are in serious committed relationships...sucks. I hope this TR is at least as good as Nick and Glenns Montana gayfari.

They're all more than 100 miles from home. Toast started the thread low key and can build up a crescendo. Nick/Glenn's thread made a huge splash in the first few pages before the trip even started. They set the bar too high raising expectations to unrealistic levels. I think they intentionally played us and the trip was way better than they led us to believe.

Slow day here in the House of Moe, I'm on troll patrol.

got in late last night. went to bed around 330-400. woke up and opened up Powder Mountain. awesome day. no need to really talk about it. i would post pictures but i don't know how to link them with facebook's new stupid viewer. so here is a short video.

Pics look nice...Copy the "download" link and strip the ?dl=1 from the URL.

I've never been there but I've been told Powder Mt includes lots of flat unskiable terrain in their total acreage.

That's only kind of true but mostly irrelevant. With the exception of one day everytime I've been there its been empty bleachers. James/lightning may have 100 people in a day and that's probably the best riding on the mtn.

Their acreage is inflated with some shit that is really flat but the vast majority of the time there aren't enough people there to make a difference.

That's only kind of true but mostly irrelevant. With the exception of one day everytime I've been there its been empty bleachers. James/lightning may have 100 people in a day and that's probably the best riding on the mtn.

Their acreage is inflated with some shit that is really flat but the vast majority of the time there aren't enough people there to make a difference.

Yeah I've always heard it's empty and there is snow.

here are some photos from yesterday at Powmow. met up with dan and his buddy from home. quality sucks because picasa sucks.

DSC03763.JPG

DSC03766.JPG

DSC03772.JPG

DSC03774.JPG

DSC03773.JPG

GOPR0017.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

Yeah I've always heard it's empty and there is snow.

so empty. seems that way because there is so much terrain. the snow is freakin' awesome too.

I've never even heard of this Powder Mountain, but the TR makes it look awesome. I might have to add this one to the list.

Seriously?

Powder mountain is a great place, didn't see many shots from powder country in the trip report, mostly under the central lift, was the van not running?

I haven't been to Utah since the 80s. Back then it was all Alta and Snowbird. When did Powder Mountain open? I've heard of Silverton, CO at least.

No idea when it opened, it's a very basic, no frills resort some way out from the main cluster around SLC, actually just outside Ogden, not far from Snowbasin (heard of that one? also very nice). It might be my favorite Utah resort but for some it's not as challenging as places like snowbird. To demonstrate the "low key" approach, they have an area you can access from a lift served peak, but it runs down to the approach road, some awesome slopes, no grooming, nice trees, then they have someone drive a van up and down the road picking you up and ferrying you back to the base area where you catch a lift and repeat..... I've never seen anywhere else do this kind of thing and it just about sums up the place.

Cool.

Pow Mow has been around a great many years, its a smart persons hill. Slow and low with tons of snow, I love the LCC/BCC but your on the rocket hunt right out of the gate if it snows. Pow Mow you can ski as you like....in a weird way its what skiing should be.

Terrain does look pretty mellow from the video. Any areas where hop turns are required?

Really only two or three sections of the hill but James is pretty steep but that's hike to. Its certainly advanced meadow skipping but meadow skipping is unbelievably fun.

Thanks for the pics Toast, first time in a long time didn't get there this year......makes me smile just seeing the middle "lodge" and thinking of those fries.