DSC03796.JPG

Kevin

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Justin

IMG_0432.JPG

Korey

IMG_0456.JPG

Basin bacon cheeseburger (because what is a day of skiing without a report on food?)

IMG_0466.JPG

DSC03803.JPG

Kevin's 7 in the backcountry

IMG_0467.JPG

Justin.

Yesterday we skied Snowbird. Didn't take too many pictures, but there are a few that can be posted later. World Freeride Tour was there so we were watching people throw themselves off of cliffs and rip crazy lines. awesome day.

then they have someone drive a van up and down the road picking you up and ferrying you back to the base area where you catch a lift and repeat..... I've never seen anywhere else do this kind of thing and it just about sums up the place.

silverton does this

166818_966648880833_10222139_51733290_5230700_n.jpg

11 people with full gear in a pickup bed earlier this season

btw: great photos. Utah is looking great right now. Wish I could be there for sure. Although...another week of this crazy warm weather we have been having in colorado, and it'll be time for steep BC lines in no time. (maybe by my spring break (hopefully))

that was a little bit of a level....anyway I prefer terrain that requires mandatory GS turns..

i'm sorry, that was a bit harsh of me.. Billygoat lines sure are fun, but to say that anything less than that is lame is ridiculous. I have skied at quite a few places, but can think of only two resorts that even have the kind of terrain you are talking about; CB and Silverton. This is not to say that other places don't have steep, fun as hell terrain, just nothing that requires a reasonably good skier to do hop turns. It is quite easy to link up turns on 50+ degree pitches with no hop turns. That pitch sure gets my blood pumping though.

Glad you're getting the goods out there. I was out there last year and skied Alta and Snowbird. Liked Snowbird better than Alta even though I was looking forward to skiing an area that didn't allow snowboading. (no offense intended to our snowboarding friends. I was just so used to hearing that scraping sound behind me in PA from out of control boarders that I was looking for a relaxed ski experience. I ski with a friend who boards and just spent 5 days in VT with my nephew who is a boarder but I am not worried about them hitting me.) Well there is no "scraping" sound out west as the conditions are so good. Had a powder day at Alta and Snowbird. There are plenty of off the map places to find powder at Alta and Snowbird even with the rush on a powder day. Had a local show me some lines at Alta later in the day only because he said, "It wasn't crowded that day", and Snowbird was empty on Easter Sunday and there were plenty of lines all day. The Mormons were all in church and no one from out of the area is booking trips that late. I don't think I'll ever have as good conditions on such an uncrowded day.

A good friend of mine told me that Powder Mountain is the best place to ski out there on a powder day. Fresh lines all day and no crowds.

4bb950a6c2638.jpg

Photos from Snowbasin on Thursday:

DSC03800.JPG

bombs going off

DSC03796.JPG

Kevin

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Justin

IMG_0432.JPG

Korey

IMG_0456.JPG

Basin bacon cheeseburger (because what is a day of skiing without a report on food?)

IMG_0466.JPG

DSC03803.JPG

Kevin's 7 in the backcountry

IMG_0467.JPG

Justin.

Yesterday we skied Snowbird. Didn't take too many pictures, but there are a few that can be posted later. World Freeride Tour was there so we were watching people throw themselves off of cliffs and rip crazy lines. awesome day.

Good of you to stay sober enough to post a few pics. :drink:

i'm sorry, that was a bit harsh of me.. Billygoat lines sure are fun, but to say that anything less than that is lame is ridiculous. I have skied at quite a few places, but can think of only two resorts that even have the kind of terrain you are talking about; CB and Silverton. This is not to say that other places don't have steep, fun as hell terrain, just nothing that requires a reasonably good skier to do hop turns. It is quite easy to link up turns on 50+ degree pitches with no hop turns. That pitch sure gets my blood pumping though.

Jump turns can be linked, and it's how most people ski anything reasonably steep and tight. Although it may not be as dramatic as the full stop jump turns of the yesteryear and the ultra steep coulies in Euroland. In open terrain with halfway decent snow jump turns are kind of silly.

silverton does this

So did Berthoud when it was open. WP has a resort bus that serves multiple purposes but it aids in side country skiing, as does Big Sky/Moonlight. I know there have to be others out there too.

Jump turns can be linked, and it's how most people ski anything reasonably steep and tight. Although it may not be as dramatic as the full stop jump turns of the yesteryear and the ultra steep coulies in Euroland. In open terrain with halfway decent snow jump turns are kind of silly.

I agree, but still stand by the fact that very few resorts have anything tight and steep enough to justify hop turns. The terrain exists, but its usually not in bounds at ski resorts.

So did Berthoud when it was open. WP has a resort bus that serves multiple purposes but it aids in side country skiing, as does Big Sky/Moonlight. I know there have to be others out there too.

side-note, but have you ever poached the yellowstone club? if so..how easy is it to do. I have heard amazing things about that place.

I agree, but still stand by the fact that very few resorts have anything tight and steep enough to justify hop turns. The terrain exists, but its usually not in bounds at ski resorts.

Thats why you should come to Bridger. Not because you want to hop turn, but because it has terrain that most hills do not.

side-note, but have you ever poached the yellowstone club? if so..how easy is it to do. I have heard amazing things about that place.

I've never poached it. A friend works lifts there and said he would bring me up on an employee day and I could more or less "blend in". It looked cool from Big Sky but from the areas we could see it was more tracked out than the back areas of Big sky. It has some cool terrain. You can literally just ski over, there is no one keeping you out, but then you are stuck in a gated community or stuck trying to get up one of their lifts.

All 4 hills in the area let you come and go between, but if you are stuck without a ticket they can and do call the cops. The ticket checkers have really nice incentives for catching people.

Snowbird on Friday:

DSC03812.JPG

tunnel

DSC03814.JPG

kevin

DSC03834.JPG

tram

DSC03815.JPG

justin

IMG_0480.JPG

us

IMG_0508.JPG

justin

IMG_0505.JPG

para skier man

IMG_0511.JPG

korey

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

parking lot tinnies

went back to Powder yesterday and had a blast. i think there are some good pictures and video that we got so maybe i'll post that up later after we get back from Basin today.

Edited by toast21602

went back to Powder yesterday. Snowbasin today. and tomorrow we are going to finish up at Powder again. here are some pics from Powder yesterday. Sunny and warm. a few flurries fell. snow got a little choppy but we still found some awesome stashes to rip lines in and some fun stuff to jump off of.

here are some pics from Powder yesterday.

DSC03853.JPG

DSC03857.JPG

DSC03851.JPG

DSC03862.JPG

DSC03864.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

Good looking lines and a great looking apron here.

If memory serves me correctly this is just above the sun deck on one of the many really nice lodges, so you can see all the lemmings dropping in while you eat, "dinner and a show".

Back in the day Woody who I believe is now an ops manager drove the pow country "bus". The original bus was a flat bed truck with and aluminum sheet bed, sure as shit nearly every time he'd gun it to make the turn near sunshine people would get thrown out. I think the next year they added an overhead tarp which did absolutely nothing, now they got sweet as shit buses....wish they kept the flat bed's really weeded out the gapers. lulz

Woody was the shit....one night after a couple days of big dumps the access road was shit so everyone is riding the bus from that private club near Wolf. Woody's son dumps bus one in the ditch and bus two is still in the top lot trying to get out, he orders all of us to get in the back and start jumping while two snow mobiles and a cat are pulling from the front. Significantly shortened the life of that bus but we got out. There's got to be 1-2ft on the road and dude is doing like 40mph down the road, the fucking ass end of the bus is moving around like Michael J Fox on coke and he's on the radio yelling at his kid. Greatest feat of snow driving I've ever seen.

If you see woody ask him about his friend in Florida who sends him grapefruits and invented that floaty thing life guards use.......serious lulz

Oh Pow Mow how you've grown........

• Like 1

If memory serves me correctly this is just above the sun deck on one of the many really nice lodges, so you can see all the lemmings dropping in while you eat, "dinner and a show".

Its Mt. Ogden I believe from the John Paul lodge, the coke can and No Name/ Allen are to the right. Two peaks down is demoisy with Y Chute and Flamingo, the line in between those two requires linked jump turns but that area isn't open very much.

Edit for pic: demoisy.jpg

Snow basin has the easiest slack lines in UT, a little tram car will come and get you and bring you back to the base.

Edited by Johnny Law

pics from yesterday at Snowbasin after about 3" fell making everything tons of fun. most of the pictures were taken after hiking up Sister's bowl and dropping in.

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMAG0346.jpg

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

went back to powder today. got about 4-5" of new snow. might get around to posting those pictures soon. maybe not. once i get home i have a ton of shit to catch up on in the real world.