New Poll.... = )

phillycore

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go on a trip out west the last week of January??

• Jackson Hole
    • Jackson Hole / one day at Grand Targhee
    • Utah (Snowbird/Alta, Solitude, Brighton, possible day at Canyons)
    • Utah (Powder Mountain, Snowbasin possible day at Snowbird/Alta, Canyons or all)
    • Utah (Park City or other, leave comment below)
    • Tahoe (Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Heavenly, Kirkwood)
    • Tahoe (other, leave comment below)
    • Whistler, Montana,Colorado, Idaho, Taos, or other not listed above (leave comment below)
    • Save your money for a new mountain bike and just ski in the poconos.
    • Buy more skis instead because the 5+ pairs you already have just isn't enough...
  2. 2. What's more annoying?

• GSS' one word posts like Sickbird, RRaacckkk It, and JADIP
    • These Stupid Ass Polls
    • Waiting in Lift lines

Just booked my flight to SLC March 7-13th. Probably going to do Pow Mow, Snowbasin, Solitude, Snowbird, and probably hit Brighton the morning I get in and possibly again for a night session.

I haven't personally been to Canyons so I can't really speak from experience (wouldn't mind hearing others opinion on that resort), but from everything I have heard from friends in SLC, it isn't really worth going there in place of any of LCC/BCCC resorts. It is lower elevation, and I am told gets less snow than BCC/LCC areas once again not speaking from experience just relaying what I have been told...

Edited by Night Rider

Hmm, interesting list. I've been to Telluride, Steamboat, Vail, Beaver Creek, A-Basin, Copper (a lot), Aspen, Snowmass, Winter Park, Mary Jane, Breckenridge, Deer Valley, The Canyons, Park City, Alta, Snowbird, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Big Sky, Bridger Bowl, Red Lodge, Montana Snowbowl, Big Mountain, and Blacktail...and that's just in the Rockies.

the canyons is a blast. had a lot of fun there when i was out. but yeah, i somewhat agree that there are some better places to go.

obviously worth stopping by for a visit.

So my brother tells me canyons has a deal where you get two lift tickets two burgers and two beers for somewhere around $109..... Guess maybe I will give Canyons a go this trip.

Edited by Night Rider
  • Like 2

So my brother tells me canyons has a deal where you get two lift tickets two burgers and two beers for somewhere around $109..... Guess maybe I will give Canyons a go this trip.

that seems new, but DO THAT! burgers and beer outside at the base of the tombstone lift on a bluebird pow day is awesome! and basically you're gonna want to spend most of your time riding tombstone and 99 anyway. that's where some of my favorite tree skiing is, and if you're prepared for it and knowledgeable, there's really fun sidecountry out the access gate of 9990.

• Like 1

that seems new, but DO THAT! burgers and beer outside at the base of the tombstone lift on a bluebird pow day is awesome! and basically you're gonna want to spend most of your time riding tombstone and 99 anyway. that's where some of my favorite tree skiing is, and if you're prepared for it and knowledgeable, there's really fun sidecountry out the access gate of 9990.

Yea, heard 9900 is where the best riding is to be found. Did you do a little hiking while you where there?

I wouldn't ski an inferior place just for burgers and beer.

I don't know that it is inferior personally, I have just been told that you wouldn't want to not hit a Big or Little Cottonwood resort to go to Canyons if its a first trip to UT. I have been to all LCC/BCC resorts minus Alta and for that kind of deal it makes it worth checking out once for myself. Anywhere in Utah is awesome compared to East Coast riding so I don't view it as a loss.

Just booked my flight to SLC March 7-13th. Probably going to do Pow Mow, Snowbasin, Solitude, Snowbird, and probably hit Brighton the morning I get in and possibly again for a night session.

I haven't personally been to Canyons so I can't really speak from experience (wouldn't mind hearing others opinion on that resort), but from everything I have heard from friends in SLC, it isn't really worth going there in place of any of LCC/BCCC resorts. It is lower elevation, and I am told gets less snow than BCC/LCC areas once again not speaking from experience just relaying what I have been told...

Dont go to Pow Mow, its flat and not really all that fun.

• Like 1

I love Powder Mountain been there a few times. Yea its not snowbird (in terms of terrain) but that is also part of what makes it awesome is that its a low key no frills area. I have a blast there, you can ride fresh tracks all day when it there hasn't been new snow for days I had a great time in Powder Country.

We sort of liked The Canyons when we went, BUT most of it was closed because it was one of their first seasons and apparently they had "closed for the season" and then the snow started dumping, so they opened back up, but they couldn't get enough lifties to run all the chairs. But, we found some great cruising runs in the area that was open.

You should add Utah to your list, Snowbird on a good day will equal just about anything on your list so far and there is something quite unique about Powder despite its lack of really steep terrain.

I think it's funny how no-one even considers Tahoe, and most have no experience of it. I used to be something like that, but at least it keeps the tourist crowds down a bit.

If you had already done Utah, I might even have given my vote to your Tahoe list, we seem to be shaping up for another big snow year.

You're entitled to your opinion........

• Like 1

Clearly we're a different type of traveler. I think Shadows said it well...some PASRs go on adventures...we go on vacation. To each his own.

i think it's pretty unfair of him to comment on somewhere he hasn't been. if you know where to look, just like any other ski area more or less, there's really fun terrain to be found. the stuff off 9990 is on par with stuff i've skied at snowbird, powder, snowbasin, or whistler as far as fun factor goes. maybe not as technically difficult as some of the lines at bird, but you can't deny waist deep turns regardless of where you're getting them.

Yea, heard 9900 is where the best riding is to be found. Did you do a little hiking while you where there?

I don't know that it is inferior personally, I have just been told that you wouldn't want to not hit a Big or Little Cottonwood resort to go to Canyons if its a first trip to UT. I have been to all LCC/BCC resorts minus Alta and for that kind of deal it makes it worth checking out once for myself. Anywhere in Utah is awesome compared to East Coast riding so I don't view it as a loss.

yes, i've hiked off 9990. do i recommend it from a safety standpoint? no. it's technically out of bounds, and you shouldn't be out there without the proper gear and training. it's slid big before, and from what i've been told, more people have been seriously injured or killed on that face than any other in utah just because of how accessible it is to a lot of people who probably shouldn't be there. it was definitely risky for us to hike that, but the few times i've hiked it, the snowpack was relatively stable and avy danger was low. it still wasn't smart, but the snow was really good and the terrain is fun if you like a wide open bowl the dumps you into some tight trees, followed by a band of cliffs anywhere from 5 to 25 feet, then more open bowl, then more trees right back down to the bottom of the lift. easy half hour sidecountry laps. i think we hiked it like 6 times in one day the one time i was out there.

• Like 2