Journey to Beehive State - 2013

RidgeRacer

Alta was an excellent choice today. They kept the good shit closed during the storm yesterday and finally dropped the ropes on it today so more freshies were had this morning as we hauled ass to the ballroom then to the wildcat area. Just took a run in west rustler before lunch. Few pics below.

post-264-0-58548100-1361989962_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-73383200-1361990313_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-90764600-1361990657_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great day today. Bluebird, sunshine. We made opening on the Collins lift around 9:15, immediately made our way over to the ballroom along with the masses. Luckily we were among the first in line so we found untracked lines. We made another run before it was officially tracked out. It was then over to wildcat and rustler

After lunch we took the rope over to Sunnyside and sugarloaf. We headed skiers right to the supreme chair, took off the skis and hiked it over to Catherines. Rode sugarloaf a few more times, skied greeley then it was back down to the rope to Collins. Made our way up to high rustler 2 more times and threw a few speed runs in off of Collins to the base. Ended up closing the lift that we opened this morning.

Great day. the snow was great but nothing like yesterday. People on the lift were still raving about conditions yesterday at snowbird. Alta closes the good stuff off until the storm is over so this morning was excellent. Dan has some pics that I think he'll post later.

• Like 2

Awesome last day at solitude. Started the day off skiing the trees skiers left (parachute, milk run) off the powder horn lift. From there we made our way over to the sunrise lift then to the summit for a foray into honeycomb canyon. After that we skied down and back over to the opposite side of HC down "here be dragons" which is my favorite name for a run anywhere. It was a little thin and crusty on this side so no more dragons. After skiing the groomers off eagle express we made our way over to diamond Lane and the cirque.

After lunch was when things got really nice. We spent the entire afternoon finding stashes in head wall forest and even more in the evergreen forest. Sweet. We closed the summit lift and made our last run down head wall forest down to the apex express. Back up powder horn to eagle ridge to sunshine bowl to the car.

Solitude is a nice change of pace mountain. Its also deceptively steep. Really steep in spots. The trees hold snow and we even found some untouched lines in evergreen and headwall forest. Great day.

• Like 2

Glad you liked them. I'm blowing this one up and framing it.

Anyway great trip. Unfortunately it was limited to 3 ski days this year but snowbird on Tuesday was one to remember. It was also nice getting a new place (solitude) under my belt. I'll see if I have anymore pics to post while I'm waiting to board.