Interesting Article...

toast21602

how/why are you spending so much for a trip out there? it can be done for <$1000 pp easily... including food and beer.

Was going with $500 a person for flight (obviously the biggest variable) and 140 a night for the hotel * 7 days = $2K.

Going to throw it out to a couple friends the more the better the cost gets.

Edited by vinnyv11

Southwest is about $500 round trip, unless you catch a deal, and they seem to be less and less frequent these days. Its so easy to rack up a free flight every year with their card. I think the most expensive lift ticket you will find in Utah is to the Bird, and i dont think the window price has even hit $80 yet. Get tickets at the ski shop on the way to the mountain and save a few more bucks. kind of ridiculous how cheap the tix are in Utah compared to Co. Last year i booked our car through southwest, and it seemed like depending on what day it was, the price of the car was different. I want to say the car cost us ~ $250 for 4-5 days.

lots of misinformation going around in here. i think i've paid over $300 for a flight to ski out west once, ever. Sure, you can theoretically get a direct flight from philly to utah and ski for free the same day you land. we tried to do it last year, but logistically, unless you have like a 5am flight, are somehow not checking bags, and taking a shuttle service to the mountain, it's pretty near impossible to do. we landed before noon, but by the time luggage came, we got our rental car, and got everything loaded up, we would have been able to get in like an hour of skiing, maybe. not worth it to drive up to canyons for an hour when it wasn't at all on our way to our condo.

regarding lodging, i've either stayed with friends, or gotten a condo up in eden near powder and basin. if you can get a group of people together (6+) it'll be considerably cheaper and way nicer than staying in an econolodge or something down in sandy. the issue that brings up is transportation. with 6 people, you need a midsize SUV or minivan, and they book up quickly mid season. we've been fortunate to have friends that live out there, so we could get away with renting 'less vehicle' than we really need, because we could spread gear/people between two cars. there were also times when we didn't need to get a car at all, if there were 4 or less of us going, since we could all fit in friends' cars. stuff like that keeps the cost down for us considerably.

i took a gamble last year and booked a rav4, and then upgraded at the counter when i saw they had a bunch of SUVs sitting around unaccounted for. i was only charged $100 more for the week for than the rav4, and we got a baller ford explorer. the rental car ended up being more than $100 a person, but i think it was pretty nice to not be super cramped when piling 6 people plus gear into the thing every morning.

lift ticket prices: i've never used liftopia, but i'd definitely check it out if you want to ski any of the big name areas. snowbird tickets are not the most expensive. while snowbird is up to $92 a day for a regular priced adult ticket, deer valley is $108 and i believe park city will break $100 this year once their full rates go into effect. utah is just as expensive as elsewhere if you want it to be, but i don't really give a crap about skiing park city or deer valley. we have always had some luck getting hookup tickets at basin and snowbird, and getting vouchers for powder at the grocery store or ski shop in eden, which all have saved us a lot of money.

• Like 2

Southwest is about $500 round trip, unless you catch a deal, and they seem to be less and less frequent these days. Its so easy to rack up a free flight every year with their card. I think the most expensive lift ticket you will find in Utah is to the Bird, and i dont think the window price has even hit $80 yet. Get tickets at the ski shop on the way to the mountain and save a few more bucks. kind of ridiculous how cheap the tix are in Utah compared to Co. Last year i booked our car through southwest, and it seemed like depending on what day it was, the price of the car was different. I want to say the car cost us ~ $250 for 4-5 days.

Lift tickets are creeping up as are flights

Snowbasin $86

Snowbird $92

Alta $79

Powmow $65 (not even worth it, dont go to Powmow)

Canyons $75 (dont think thats full price)

Park City $85

Deer Valley $108

Solitude $74

Brighton $68

Lift tickets are creeping up as are flights

Snowbasin $86

Snowbird $92

Alta $79

Powmow $65 (not even worth it, dont go to Powmow)

Canyons $75 (dont think thats full price)

Park City $85

Deer Valley $108

Solitude $74

Brighton $68

quoted for accuracy of powmow sucking. those summit series people ruined the place, not worth going to anymore.

and yeah, canyons and PC rates that are on their sites right now are for early season. they don't have enough open yet to warrant full price. you know, since $85 is a great deal...

i think we paid $60 last year for brighton tickets at a ski shop in cottonwood heights? and $58 for powder if i remember correctly? cat laps off lightning ridge went up in price too, they're not just an extra $5 on top of your lift ticket anymore.

Toast flys Southwest non direct to keep airfare low..under $300 I think. Shares a non AWD rental car amoung alot of people and shares a condo amoung alot of people and skis places like pow mow where lift tickets are $50 vs $80-$100 for the big resorts. Also doesn't spend much on food. It just depends how you want your vacation to be. When I'm on a ski vacation I spend $$$ like its Monopoly money...prob $80-$100 a day just on food and drink.

Actually I often do that in Allentown as well.

$100 a day on drink, fuck food