Upstate VT recommendations/suggestions...

indiggio

Heading to upstate VT next week with the family.

Never been to the northern areas.

Staying in the Stowe area, so obviously going there.

More than likely hit Jay, MRG and maybe Sugarbush, if the legs hold out.

Looking for places to go, stuff not to miss, etc.

Appreciate the info from all you who've done them all.

Thx!

well, you're going to the sweet spot of vt ski areas.....so I don't think you'll go wrong no matter where you go.  having said that I've been to stowe, smuggs, and sugarbush.  don't overlook smuggs, especially if they get some snow. also, the tree skiing at smuggs is very good (if the trees are still open, lol).

mad river glen should have had a good season as well, so you should def check that out as well.

Jay is sink or swim and has been overrun with Canadians, that's not bad but if the weather isn't right its glacial.

Madonna off Smuggs is legit legit and the best muffin place in the EC is at a gas station out that way.

MRG is MRG, just go, everyone should go at least once. Check out Paradise

Stowe used to be real tits mcgee and still is but the spruce goose shit has really changed that hill. Still notch stuff like Hellbrook compensates.

The one nobody goes to that is chronically underrated is Burke, BMA has like 20 Olympians including Shiffrin. Not as big as the other NVT hills but excellent trees and the best fries in VT.

Still apparently some soft up in these parts if you really look.

Snowbowl ain't really NVT and those not in the know would disagree but the soft shit really hangs on there and lines are plentiful....not really for this point of the year but the future

You're gonna have a blast.

There was a ton of snow up there two weeks ago, so I would imagine everything is still open.  I've skied Stowe a lot- tell me what you enjoy and I'll point you in the right direction.

One that is really mandatory - Bruce Trail > Matterhorn.

Park your car at the Matterhorn on your way in.  Grab the free shuttle or hitch a ride to mountain.

End of day, catch last chair on the Four Runner Quad.

The Bruce trail is technically out of  bounds, but everyone knows about it, and dozens ski it every day.  You can ask anyone there for the trail head - it's rather ironically marked by a giant sign telling you not to ski in this direction any further.....anyway, PM me for more details if you want.  Otherwise, really, ask anyone....

Bruce trail is one of the oldest - maybe THE oldest cut trails in america.  It will lead you down to the cross country trails - follow signs to the road way....basicly just keep going straight.  You'll have some pushing to do - maybe more than a little of the snow is slow.  But you end up right next to the matterhorn.  

Have;

Karma Citrus IPA

Matterhorn Bowl

Firecracker roll

Wings.

Also, the Bench replaced the Alehouse (which I don't think was that old....) and it has about 20 beers on tap including Hill Farmstead.  Food was good not great.  Fries were awesome.  Beer was awesome.

• Like 2

Heading to vt mid April for closing weekend at Stowe and some east coast BC touring with a a friend who runs a shop up there. Super stoked and will be following this thread to see what's good up in VT!

Was one of the reasons why I started the thread, so others can use it as a reference for future trips.

Thanks all for the information!

As mentioned, the Matterhorn is a must-do apres spot.  I'd also hit the Den at Stowe one day for a few.  Usually have music on the weekends.

Then, in town at the Top Notch Hotel and Spa there is a bar....forget the name....has good beer on tap and a great shuffle board table.  Good times.   

Heading to vt mid April for closing weekend at Stowe and some east coast BC touring with a a friend who runs a shop up there. Super stoked and will be following this thread to see what's good up in VT!

Nice dude where your touring ? Notch ?

We are looking at King sometime in April, maybe a tuxs trip in May too. Weather up there is still full on winter mode so everything had to get pushed back.

• Like 1

Nice dude where your touring ? Notch ?

We are looking at King sometime in April, maybe a tuxs trip in May too. Weather up there is still full on winter mode so everything had to get pushed back.

probably gonna be doing Stowe and then whatever terrain we can hike/tour to from there, no real plans yet honestly. First weekend in May might work for me if that's when you're tryin to do tux
  • Like 2

probably gonna be doing Stowe and then whatever terrain we can hike/tour to from there, no real plans yet honestly. First weekend in May might work for me if that's when you're tryin to do tux

Cool Cool, let's see if we can't find a weekend in May that works, I haven't been to Tuxs in a long time. Might have to leave thurs night to get a spot up at hermit, shit gets crazy full.

The one nobody goes to that is chronically underrated is Burke, BMA has like 20 Olympians including Shiffrin. Not as big as the other NVT hills but excellent

Burke was our go-to mountain for prez weekend for years. 2k very also so not that small. However, not in greens and does not get the microclimate greens do. Hence pond skimming is this weekend.

Also, this time of year, Jay is not glacial (at least after morning thaw) but yeah I have experienced what JL has spoken to many times, get off the lift and shortest route to the trees or else!

Just got back today from Smuggs; skied Friday and Saturday. The resort is 100% open- my son and wife spent about 60% of their time in the glades. Great coverage, no issues to be had! Lot's of untracked stuff in the trees yet. They were able to ski almost top to bottom by jumping from glade to glade. Lot's of bumps on FIS and on the Liftline runs. Harvey's was big soft bumps. No liftlines on Friday, maybe waited 5 minutes on Saturday on the Madonna lift, almost ski on at the Sterling lift. Was snowing all day Friday, had nice powdery conditions. Bluebird day yesterday, snow was firm on the trails. Conditions were first class! Thier website ski report appeared to be very accurate as far as coverage.