Huge News: Hunter Sold to Peak Resorts

Ride Delaware ?

The one and only time I was at Hunter was jr year of HS. Someone organized a weekend bus trip and somehow we all convinced our parents there were chaperones. My friend and I were last on the bus because we were waiting for someone to bring us beer. Two 12 packs of Coors Light (you heard me) that i had to bust open and spread throughout my full size 80's style suitcase. Ah, good times.

Smart move. Belleayre is looking do a massive expansion on the taxpayers dime that the other mountains in the area can't compete against.

As a skier I approve of taxpayer funded ski area expansion. But I really can't imagine Hunter has anything to fear from Belleayre.

• Like 1

As a skier I approve of taxpayer funded ski area expansion. But I really can't imagine Hunter has anything to fear from Belleayre.

Hunters skier visits have declined by 60% in the last two decades while Belleayre has been successful partially from all the free vouchers they used to handout along with their new high speed quad several years ago.

Hunters skier visits have declined by 60% in the last two decades while Belleayre has been successful partially from all the free vouchers they used to handout along with their new high speed quad several years ago.

Even with the full planned expansion which will mean you can take 1400' runs off of one lift instead of maxing out at 1100', the bottom part of it is so flat that nobody able to do the runs off the top would find that part remotely interesting.

I love it as a way to get away from the crowds and as an area that leaves more of their terrain ungroomed. But those are not things that are going to draw big crowds. It is also a longer drive from NYC than Hunter.

15 min if no traffic but often 30 on weekends. And it is not great for intermediates unless they ride slow lifts and get off halfway. It is like half a parabola, steep up top then flattening out.

Windham is the best place for intermediates in the Catskills. Same driving time as Belleayre without traffic but better road that is less likely to get mired in traffic.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

15 min if no traffic but often 30 on weekends. And it is not great for intermediates unless they ride slow lifts and get off halfway. It is like half a parabola, steep up top then flattening out.

Yup just like camelback. Windham is the place for intermediates.

Dot Nebel is one of my favorite runs at Belleayre.

I don't know ski2live, that seems like a pretty bold statement. Bell is 35 min off 87 while Hunter is another exit north plus some windy roads. Google is showing them 2 minutes apart...

Yeah I thought they were similar time...both are 3 hours from Allentown with zero traffic. Both around 200 miles away.

I don't know ski2live, that seems like a pretty bold statement. Bell is 35 min off 87 while Hunter is another exit north plus some windy roads. Google is showing them 2 minutes apart...

That is my personal experience having driven to both places from NYC area dozens of times from 92 to 2010. In good weather 87 is a lot faster than Google figures it to be as they calculate based on the speed limit (actually 5 mph below I believe, so they generally overstate highway driving times). And the Hunter road is only windy for a couple miles and is much shorter than the road to Belleayre, which can be quite slow. If they widen the road from 87 to Belleayre, and improve their snow removal efforts there, they could make the travel time the same as Hunter.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski