Huge News: Hunter Sold to Peak Resorts

Ride Delaware ?

Nice, maybe some deals for JFBB pass holders.

They said they would begin working on reciprocity for this season. I don't know to what extent.

Peak has the NY metro area covered now. Lots of opportunity there for them.

I agree that there appears to be lots of opportunity, but I haven't quite figured out the move. Are they looking to expand Hunter and cash in with more hotels/condos/trails, or are they using it as a feeder for Mount Snow or Attitash? From what I hear, they paid a premium, so they must see growth potential somewhere...

90 mins from nyc? always growth potential there with that market....

I understand the geography, but what is the play? If they don't have plans for expansion, it won't expand. There will be no growth. So what do they gain, and what's the actual "potential" there?

Reasoning is right there in the article..

“Its reputation as one of the premier snowmaking resorts in the East makes it a perfect fit for our portfolio and strategy."

"Our roadmap for growth calls for a mix of organic growth and resort development as well as acquisitions that will let us build our portfolio of ski resorts in the attractive overnight and day-drive segments of the market. We expect this transaction will be accretive to Peak Resorts' Reported EBITDA in the third quarter of fiscal 2016 and we will continue to evaluate other potential value-add acquisitions,"

Make of it what you will.

Edited by RidgeRacer

90 mins from nyc? always growth potential there with that market....

Hunter is farther than that 2+ hours from NYC The Catskills peaked from the 60s to early 90s and since has declined economically. There's alot of poverty up there and alot of the former businesses in the town of Hunter closed down around 2000. The demographics changed alot. In the 80s and early 90s Hunter was a wild playground for NYC skiers and riders. There were rowdy bars and even a hotel with a grotto. That demographic of yuppies wifed up and had kids and made places like Okemo super successful.

??Ride-DE?? you need to stop looking at this like Hunter will be operated as a single mountain, owned by a single owner as it has been in the past.  Open your eyes.  They don't need to dump tons of money into it, for right now, they just need to turn the key.  My bet is major expansion isnt likely.  Keep in mind Peak Resorts has done well with their recent purchases, at least well enough to keep acquiring ski joints.  They may be looking for some volunteer ski patrol to help run their resorts, so ring them up someday.  

Connect the dots to all the ski resorts they own.  Kind of bridges the gap between JFBB and Mt Snow.  They offer different passes up North, like the Nor'easter pass.  I would say you would see a pass like that targeted more like JFBB/Hunter/Mt Snow. Currently i think lift tix are 50% off for JFBB passholders at Mt Snow.  I doubt Mt Snow is overwhelmed by the amount of people that take advantage of that.  Theres a good chance they throw out a few freebies this year to current JFBB passholders to get the ball rolling for next years multi-mountain lift ticket.   Its a good move on their part.  Hunter definitely wasnt a fire sale though.   

The 2 largest revenue generating resorts they have, include lodging.  

Hunter boasts somewhere around 275-300K in skier visits.  Hunter is doing pretty well in that department, looking at their other resorts.  Mt Snow reports around 468K skier visits.  that to me seems like alot.

• Like 2

But I still need to know the which Peak resorts employees won "employee of the month" the each of last 12 months in addition to each individual's favorite color and hobby.

Finally Peak spelled backwards is "kaep". I'll need to understand the play there. ;)

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 1

There were rowdy bars and even a hotel with a grotto.

We stayed there sometime in the early 90's, the name of the place started with a Z as I recall. Restaurant had good food. My buddies pregnant wife tore the pool ladder out of its anchors as she was getting out of the pool.

2 hours is realistic time from exiting GWB to pulling into Hunter if no traffic. Allow extra time for getting to and over GWB, and for traffic, especially on the way home.

Add 15 for Windham or Belleayre, add 45 for Plattekill.

Mountain Creek under an hour from GWB.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

2 hours is realistic time from exiting GWB to pulling into Hunter if no traffic. Allow extra time for getting to and over GWB, and for traffic, especially on the way home.

Add another 15 for Windham or Belleayre, add another 45 for Plattekill.

Mountain Creek under an hour from GWB.

The for the info!!!!

Why don't you like hunter???

The mtn itself is fine though it's a little too vertical in design, everyone ends up on top of each other. The people that ski there however are the worst people on earth......if I'm going to the catskills it's because we are skiing with my daughter and didn't want to drive to VT and then I'm skiing platty or bell.

• Like 1