Deer Valley 1/24/16

toast21602

Fantastic morning at Deer Valley. I mean Blue Mountain. With the huge snowfall yesterday the groomers sure felt like deer valley for the first hour or so before traffic hit. Awesome day. Awesome conditions. Some left over fresh on the side of some trails.

af7586173a259443475c12cf67dacc79.jpg

dc22725332c6bab9a20a4ffe8c41ffb4.jpg

4c4dcf05ba7d2ec86fec464ac07feddb.jpg

ae9b8b09c8c584b02ecf5b814144565f.jpg

Thank you Ryan for the beer - since everybody else forgot.

Good people. Good turns. Good beer.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 8

I left my house at 5:38am for the ride to Blue. Roads weren't too bad honestly. It was slow going still and there were a few spots that definitely needed some attention. Passed KT right before the LV exit on the turnpike he was looking baller with his big black hat on. I arrived at the lot just before 8 as JfDan, Toast and company were making their way to get first chair. KT, Mbike Mike and Nastar Glenn pulled in as I was booting up. The four of us made our way to the 6er the snow felt a bit sticky at the base. We went down Razors first which was simply amazing. Super smooth and edge-able all at the same time. Next run was Nightmare -Dreamweaver, surprisingly it was left natural which was great.....just not for me at the time as my left arch was cramping up in my boot. I stopped off to the side where the paradise merge is at for a minute but I just had to get the boot off. I went to the lot, ended up pulling my insole out to get a bit more room and just went without it. Switched skis from my skevic's to my prophet 98's. I'm just not feeling good on the skevic's...they're light and agile but definitely not a confidence building ski.

I'm having a hard time wanting to ski anything other than the prophet right now. They are just an overall awesome ski.

Anyway, I got back out there and eventually ran into JLAW, Mbike and Nastar Glenn again. We made a few runs together than Mike and Glenn went one way and I followed JLAW to the bottom where he went to the lot. Found myself on my own again and ran down challenge which was nice but it wasn't as nice as Razors little crusty at the top, then Lazy to falls....Nothing new there, sidewinder which was strange...cookies coming through on the trail but fun soft stuff on the sides....main st....much better than it is most days....and switchback.... This was also ungroomed like NmDw....but a bit softer and extremely fun challenging on the legs. Easily my favorite run of the day. Almost forgot I was at Blue as it skied like a west coast run. That wore my legs out though so I went to the lot where everyone was. Except Toast, he had already left.

Relaxed for a bit than back out with the real KT, pilot Doug, Glenn and Mbike..... Kt, Doug and I got split from Mike and Glenn eventually and we hit up switchback, sidewinder, than Doug and I split from KT as he was going to grab his Park skis. We hit NMDW and my legs were shot for the day.

Rough start out with my boots and glasses fogging up like crazy but great day and amazing conditions.

Hit my usual turnpike accident delay on the way home.... Only one this time thankfully... Can't seem to avoid them for some reason this year...

post-1572-1453671338626_thumb.jpg

Switchback was an absolute gem today..... You just don't get that in Pa very often....

Edited by phillycore
  • Like 2

Was there with one daughter.  We thought NM>DW would be the run of the day....until we hit switchback...wow.  That was so fun...just incredibly nice. 

We tried barney's and bailed half way and cut back over the switch because it was just so much better...

Hit a bike trail > blue glade, but was just ok - just not deep enough yet.  But fun to just be in the woods, even if it was just for a few minutes.   Sidewinder had some fun spots on the sides.  We were going to try the 6-pack line which looked see, but we bailed on the high speed lifts because the crowds were soul sucking down there.  

Spent most of our time on switch back after lunch.  

Great day.