Blue 2-6-17

Ski2Live Live2Ski

Got here around 1115. Just came in. Spur of the moment trip, since it's gonna rain all day tomorrow. More crowded than normal. Razors closed for racing.Sidewinder closed, looks like they're building. Did everything except Burma. Everything really nice except Challenge. Yuck, full of ice marbles again. Nice to have sun all day.

• Like 2

Challenge and Main Street were both filled with cookies when I started at 11:30 but softened up nicely before I left after 20 runs at 345. Troughs in the bumps om NMDW and Barneys were too scraped to be much fun. More fun in the small gladed areas. Best conditions were on Switchback followed by Burma, but most of the rubs were decent groomed conditions. Weird how the line on the 6 pack varied from run to run with a 5 min wait one run and nothing on the next.

Met a woman on the lift who lives on my block so we may carpool to do some skiing in the future.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

Yeah, I noticed the line thing, too. It was either nobody or everybody. I never count my runs. Started to today, but quickly forgot about it. I figure I ski about 3-4 hours, no breaks. Almost always ride the 6 pack. That's a lot of runs

Starting when I was in 11th grade 1995-96 ski season I wore an Avocet watch that kept track of vert skied and runs based on Barometric pressure. It was pretty accurate within 5% perhaps. That season I skied about 2 million vertical feet in 48 days and the following 2.6 million in 66 seasons. Back in those days three were rarely lines for the quad( the six pack was a double) and a normal weekend day for me was 730-5 with a lunch break...Indiggio types of days. In college I stopped tracking vert then did again about 11 years ago for two seasons. Anyway figures for the six pack are if you are only skiing razors and challenge fast and lift doesn't stop 8 runs an hour..a variety of runs and skiing onto lift every run 7 runs an hour. Normal uncrowded skiing 6 runs an hour. Second hour on a weekend or weekday afternoon with some short lines figure five runs an hour.

• Like 3

I hate carpooling

Oh

Congrats on the affair!

Maybe they're swingers woooo

Ive ridden the double before. What year did they put the 6 in? 2006?

2006-07 season on the six. Quad was 94-95

And the challenge chair used to start at the end of shuttle and bottom of falls...but was extended to the valley for the 1992-93 season to boost the vertical drop from 923 feet to 1052..then it became 1082 with the quad.

• Like 2

Wow kind of cheesy doing that to boost the vertical, and it does seem likely it was done just for that reason as it adds no particular thrill.

If it gives you the highest vert in PA it's worth it. Nobody else can say that or make changes to take that away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow kind of cheesy doing that to boost the vertical, and it does seem likely it was done just for that reason as it adds no particular thrill.

Wasn't cheesy they needed to expand into the valley for a parking lot, lodge and tubing. Tubing opened in 96 FYI and that's the first and only time I went tubing.

Long walk from lot or lodge to the bottom of the lift.

Huh

• Like 1

the bottom lodge wasn't there in the 90's?

It was more like a trailer when the challenge lift was extended in 1992 and I remember port o John's down there and the lower lot continued to expand into the 2000s to include tickets, rentals and cafeteria. No bar down there until several years ago. Most of the 90s it was just the summit lodge.

challenge double was soooooo slow

Was a normal speed fixed grip lift 450-500 feet per minute but was long at over 4,000 feet long and frequently stopped. Before blue put in the quad liftlines for the challenge double and Main Street and Burma lifts often exceeded 20 minutes. I remember once in 8th grade taking the raceway tbar cause all the lines were so long on a Friday night. Back then blue wasn't the top dog like it is now. Places like camelback, montage and Jack Frost had much more efficient lifts like triples and quads. Camelback put in their Stevenson express quad and cliffhanger and Nile mile the same year that blue put in their quad 1994...

Paradise opened at blue in 1996 and back then there was no razors edge but the top razors headwall was cut so you could ski that and then finish up on challenge.