Ski Season 17 - 18 thread

RidgeRacer

12 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

My 184cm/98mm underfoot/27m radius daily drivers ski "bigger" than my 193cm/119mm/30m radius power boards.  Things like tip & tail rocker have a profound impact on how a ski behaves on the snow.

How? Isn't the rocker just a gimmick to make skis float better and reduce edge contact length? Yeah, it helps to turn by making it easier to skid the skis.

How do you maneuver with a 30m radius ski on a busy slope?

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

How? Isn't the rocker just a gimmick to make skis float better and reduce edge contact length? Yeah, it helps to turn by making it easier to skid the skis.

How do you maneuver with a 30m radius ski on a busy slope?

I'm not a fan of rocker (or even early rise tip/tails) for groomer skis, but I know why manufacturers do it.  For intermediate skiers it makes the skis easier to turn.  My big skis are full rockered (no camber under foot) so it's exaggerated, but having a ski that's already already in the shape of the turn means once it gets up on edge and the full running length of the ski engages with the snow means very little effort is required.  They're amazing in powder, but I can rip them on groomers, too.

Compare my fully rockered 30m pow skis to my 27m "classic" fully cambered ski, and the classic ski requires a lot more muscling to make the same turn.

13 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Wide skis doesn't mean they aren't good on groomers. They are 108mm. I have 115mm and 95mm as well as some park skis that come out once a year and slalom skis.

Nice collection. And good for me, since so you should know how they ski in comparison... Do you notice in general that fatter skis have worse edge grip than SL skis? I skied my 70mm back to back with two other wider pairs (still a far cry from 115mm) once and was unpleasantly surprised by how they constantly wanted to wander off to the side from underneath me. And I knew for sure that they were quite sharp and with decent 0.5/3 bevels... Yeah, they were skiable, but in a more gentle, cautious way. It took many runs to find the right balance of force to maintain control, and it made my legs hurt a lot in the process. I simply could never learn to fully trust them. IDK whether they were just bad pairs or that's a general rule, the wider the ski, the less the edge grip. What do you think?

13 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

I'm not a fan of rocker (or even early rise tip/tails) for groomer skis, but I know why manufacturers do it.  For intermediate skiers it makes the skis easier to turn.  My big skis are full rockered (no camber under foot) so it's exaggerated, but having a ski that's already already in the shape of the turn means once it gets up on edge and the full running length of the ski engages with the snow means very little effort is required.  They're amazing in powder, but I can rip them on groomers, too.

Compare my fully rockered 30m pow skis to my 27m "classic" fully cambered ski, and the classic ski requires a lot more muscling to make the same turn.

I've seen a few guys on fully rockered skis while waiting for a lift. It looked like the area of contact hardly extended beyond the bindings. How does it feel to ski slow speed or straight on such skis?

I also saw a guy, perhaps on park skis, perhaps on fully rockered ones on Midway last weekend skiing it like a border. He got to the middle, then turned sideways, almost backward, then again forward. And it wasn't that hard braking skidding turn, it was done with no effort, like fooling around.

Most of the PASRs have fat skis for out west.  I had Nordica blowers for about five years and have had my shiros for almost four years.  I ski them about half the time at Blue.  The only thing they don't excel at is when it's firm cord.  Last year in Jackson hole there wasn't much new snow and I was on my mantras out there a lot. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Just now, eaf said:

I've seen a few guys on fully rockered skis while waiting for a lift. It looked like the area of contact hardly extended beyond the bindings. How does it feel to ski slow speed or straight on such skis?

I also saw a guy, perhaps on park skis, perhaps on fully rockered ones on Midway last weekend skiing it like a border. He got to the middle, then turned sideways, almost backward, then again forward. And it wasn't that hard braking skidding turn, it was done with no effort, like fooling around.

mantras are the best ski

I prefer skis on the narrower end of the spectrum. I have fully rockered volkl rtm-81's that I love. I've taken them out west and wasn't disappointed.  my other skis are blizzard brahma sp (88 mm, tip and tail rocker). had those out last weekend and they killed it....looking forward to seeing what these do in "the greatest snow on earth" in march.  in the end.....ski whatever makes you feel happy!