12/14/17

toast21602

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How many layers are you wearing?  I was super comfortable last night.  

That's the thing. Plenty. T-shirt, underarmor, sweater and a jacket, and still was freezing. Only 22F outside. Don't know what to think. There were girls who seemed like wearing nothing and still doing alright, and I was hardly warming up on the way down and then again going blue on the lift.

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

That's the thing. Plenty. T-shirt, underarmor, sweater and a jacket, and still was freezing. Only 22F outside. Don't know what to think. There were girls who seemed like wearing nothing and still doing alright, and I was hardly warming up on the way down and then again going blue on the lift.

For me a hoodie makes a big difference. Last night I wore a t-shirt, 2 sweaters, a hoodie, and jacket, and I was fine. My face was getting frostbite until I put on my face mask, though.

Edited by saltyant

8 hours ago, saltyant said:

For me a hoodie makes a big difference. Last night I wore a t-shirt, 2 sweaters, a hoodie, and jacket, and I was fine. My face was getting frostbite until I put on my face mask, though.

Wow you don't wanna get frostbite.  Five layer player right there..my man!!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, eaf said:

Ditch the t shirt layer.on cold day..id go underarmor, mid layer like a thin fleece, puffy and jacket...I'm puffy enough so don't need a puffy but it works well with thin folks. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

yea i caught them in a bad way on one of those zero viz mornings, lucky to walk away. good thing it was warm and the bumps were soft. i had a deep bruise on my ass cheek that lasted halfway through the summer. i was on a rampage with patrol as there were no lollipops or markings above them. they finally added markers and paint

I remembered they got someone, just couldn't remember who.  Ouch! 
Typical BM SP, not doing their job!    The other morning, they didn't have a tape across Chute and some people went down it to the drop and had to hike out.
Guess all they do in the morning is track up the slopes to get their first runs in.

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Typical BM SP, not doing their job!    The other morning, they didn't have a tape across Chute and some people went down it to the drop and had to hike out.
Guess all they do in the morning is track up the slopes to get their first runs in.

Years ago me and Atomic Jeff closed switchback and we had the run to ourselves a few times before patrol opened it back up. 

19 minutes ago, indiggio said:

It isn't their job to patrol stupid people. 

13 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Switchback is way too fun to get sketched with the freeze /thaw that will inevitably occur. I'm intrigued by the the idea though. I'd nominate widowmaker as guinea pig trail.

The other year when we got that good snowstorm, they left Switchback ungroomed.  Best run on the mountain that weekend.  Was just like an old trail in Vermont and hardly any traffic to speak of.  If Switchback would bump up, it wouldn't get the traffic it does now, so freeze/thaw shouldn't be as much of a problem and they could periodically blow new snow overtop to fill in the ruts and/or mow it down every so often.
Widowmaker is useless now that the racers have Razors.  Once they open Razors for the season, they should seed Widowmaker from side to side, top to bottom, save the crossing trail.  It would be a perfect bump run, with lots of lines.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, indiggio said:

The other year when we got that good snowstorm, they left Switchback ungroomed.  Best run on the mountain that weekend.  Was just like an old trail in Vermont and hardly any traffic to speak of.  If Switchback would bump up, it wouldn't get the traffic it does now, so freeze/thaw shouldn't be as much of a problem and they could periodically blow new snow overtop to fill in the ruts and/or mow it down every so often.
Widowmaker is useless now that the racers have Razors.  Once they open Razors for the season, they should seed Widowmaker from side to side, top to bottom, save the crossing trail.  It would be a perfect bump run, with lots of lines.

Switchback is a steezy speed run and one of the only blue trails on the mountain.  Leave it groomed except on pow days.  

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Switchback is a steezy speed run and one of the only blue trails on the mountain.  Leave it groomed except on pow days.  

I'm still not as big a fan of switchback as the rest of you. I think it gets too icy from being scraped off in the shade, doesn't get any love fro the snowmakers to refresh it every now and again, and the lighting there typically sucks. It is still a top 30 trail at Blue, though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I'm still not as big a fan of switchback as the rest of you. I think it gets too icy from being scraped off in the shade, doesn't get any love fro the snowmakers to refresh it every now and again, and the lighting there typically sucks. It is still a top 30 trail at Blue, though.

Me and Johnny Law are the biggest fans of switchback..it's a perfect run for people that don't make many turns..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I do feel for the bumpers...aside from the natural bumps on midway the one warm day they've neglected seeding bumps so far this season at Blue.  

It's pretty typical of early season at Blue.   Until the racers have their run, they typically set up gates on the right side of upper MS and they probably don't want to choke it by adding bumps on the left.   Plus the groomers are working hard to get the rest of the mountain open.  
There's always the spines, ditches and guns to run for fun until they seed the bumps.

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Switchback was the last trail designed by a professional and it shows, it's a straight build up of speed to narrowish left right left that sort of plays with a double fall line. That's probably the most complex turns on the hill, the top left right on NMDW and sometimes the big bottom left are better turns but switchback is the best actual interesting trail at blue. Doug is right too you have to ski it in about 4 turns.

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

That's the problem.  They ignore it too much!

No way that trail is way too complex for the zinc-ies, the top is flat so they blow into the actual turns way too hot to trot, slam on the brakes and then flail around the corners. Before the first turn is generally pretty firm as again they just slam them sideways in a desperate attempt to kill speed, then because it narrows a burm forms on the left hand side which funnels people into a smaller and smaller track which makes the final left more of a straight. Bumps on that trail would straight up murder people and destroy the speed that makes a mostly flatish trail interesting. Bump up Widowmaker top to bottom, it's a straight down the mtn trail and Blue has two better ones in Challenge and Razors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

I can't remember ever being cold when I'm skiing. Yet I'll be freezing when I walk to my car from a building which takes 30 seconds, even though I have layers on.

I'm way colder doing errands around town in my khaki pants, polo shirt and light jacket than when I ski on the coldest days.  I think I need to buy a winter jacket since it could be an actual cold winter.  For years I just would wear a hoodie or fleece