MLK

Mess

First day out for me.  Arrived at 9:15.  Crowds were small to start the day.  Snow was pretty good.  Only a few icy spots.  My son and I worked our way across the mountain.  Started on snowflake/ridge and did all of the blues before taking a break to warm up a little.  The lodge was full when we went for our break.  I find it funny that people throw their bags on and under tables and think that they have claimed the area.  We got a coffee and hot chocolate and sat down and a father/daughter came in from skiing and acted annoyed that we were sitting in their spots.  I gave him a friendly hello.  He didn't respond and started riffling through his bags.  Also a lot of women just sitting at tables reserving for their families as the rest skied.  

After our break we skied the rest of the mountain. Thunderbolt was nice, challenge had some small moguls skiers right next to happy land, East Mountain was really nice snow.  River shot was a lot of fun.  We did it about 5 times and Floyd's was also good.  Most times I am there I avoid Floyds because of ice.  This was my son's first time on Floyd's.

Great day overall.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mess said:

We got a coffee and hot chocolate and sat down and a father/daughter came in from skiing and acted annoyed that we were sitting in their spots.  I gave him a friendly hello.  He didn't respond and started riffling through his bags.  Also a lot of women just sitting at tables reserving for their families as the rest skied.  

Haha. Today someone was trying to interrogate my daughter about how she dared to move all the stuff that used to be at the table where she sat. After some back and forthing it turned out that someone else has moved the bags before we came. Poor dude left looking for them. Anyway, that served him well. There is plenty of storage in the Summit lodge, and it's a crime to reserve a table on such a busy weekend.

7 minutes ago, Mess said:

Not sure why people don't use the free bag check

People are lazy. Plus some want to reserve the best spot for themselves. Plus some have so much stuff that no bag check will accept it. They bring backpacks, coolers of food. At JF a Chinese family reserved an entire looooong table with their stuff, left a grandma to look after it and took off skiing. We got tired of searching for a spot, and just sat there despite all the protests.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Complaining about people reserving a table with bags in a ski area lodge on a crowded day is like complaining about a public restroom smelling like pee and poop..

Twisted logic. It would be ok to "reserve" a table on a quiet day because it wouldn't inconvenience anybody - plenty of other spots to choose from. It wouldn't even be "reserving" - just leaving your stuff there, and it's ok because again, nobody would care. On a busy day such stunts are a no-no because there is simply not enough space to accommodate all.

10 minutes ago, Mess said:

I understand putting gear under table but for someone to be annoyed when you sit at a table is my problem.

Tell them there's no reserved tables..if they get nasty then alert security. I'm surprised people leave their stuff unlocked..there's lockers for a reason. 

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

I never understand the need to being anything in the lodge, or the need to rent lockers. Just boot up at the car like I do and get on the snow. Leave your junk in the car!

Yup yup yup you can always use the hotel for free wifi or wait for Eaf and Ski2Live at the firepit or next to the water slides 

• Confused 1

Blue has taken to adding "monitors" to the summit lodge dining area who will promptly redirect anyone trying to bring in food and/or bags to the storage lockers by the restrooms and those looking to extend their stay by bringing laptops or whatever into the other, bigger area.  

I guess they've received enough complaints from people buying food and not having a place to sit and eat.

10 hours ago, eaf said:

We got tired of searching for a spot, and just sat there despite all the protests.

When I'm skiing anywhere bigger than Blue on a busy day, this is what I have done,  only I'm more friendly about it.  When I see someone guarding a table and I want to sit to eat, I just sit down, and tell them in the most enthusiastic friendly way possible that I'm joining them for lunch, and don't really give them an option to say no.  Usually works out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RootDKJ said:

When I'm skiing anywhere bigger than Blue on a busy day, this is what I have done,  only I'm more friendly about it.  When I see someone guarding a table and I want to sit to eat, I just sit down, and tell them in the most enthusiastic friendly way possible that I'm joining them for lunch, and don't really give them an option to say no.  Usually works out.

They're lucky to have you join them. 

15 minutes ago, Shadows said:

i am looking forward to a bottom lodge renovation. would love a spot to chill outside and look at the mtn. apres ski fo sho. nice two level deck/patio thats heated. maybe a rooftop bar. floor to ceiling glass for the inside peeps.

It would be nice to just post up down there around a fire pit working on a goggle tan, but the beer is free in the lot if you bring it. No worrying about getting a table or seat. Just pull it out of your trunk. Its fun drinking around the fire pits at the top lodge, though.

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

It would be nice to just post up down there around a fire pit working on a goggle tan, but the beer is free in the lot if you bring it. No worrying about getting a table or seat. Just pull it out of your trunk. Its fun drinking around the fire pits at the top lodge, though.

I remember last year, or maybe the year before (it's all a little fuzzy) a bunch of us were drinking pocket beers around a fire pit in the valley.  Maybe this was during Winterfest Weekend?

52 minutes ago, Shadows said:

i am looking forward to a bottom lodge renovation. would love a spot to chill outside and look at the mtn. apres ski fo sho. nice two level deck/patio thats heated. maybe a rooftop bar. floor to ceiling glass for the inside peeps.

I prefer staggering around the lower lot