1 minute ago, SallyCat said:

Not disagreeing, but I'd want to look at the profit margins involved in running a ski resort before complaining about ticket prices. Maybe they are unreasonable. They are certainly high from a consumer perspective. But it takes a lot of money to run a ski area; I wonder what role day-pass buyers play in the bigger picture. I mean, I think Blue's day pass prices are crazy for what you get, but if I ran the place I'm sure I'd say: "You live in Pennsylvania and we covered a mountain with snow. What do you expect?"

(Though if I ran Blue I would damn well find a way to pay for afternoon grooming.)

you are probably right, i just like to bitch about things lol.  but honestly, you could make the argument blue has more room to make high ticket prices than vermont, because blue relies 100% on snowmaking

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saltyant said:

Well did a few runs and sold my ticket for $60. Not bad considering I paid $85 for it and got a few fresh runs. Also made some guys day because I just saved him $55 and 20 minutes of standing in line. It was an easier sell at Snowshed because the line was so long for tickets. K1 no one was interested and I got yelled at by an undercover Killington agent. Probably because I went up to the window and asked how much a ticket was so I could set my price accordingly, and then they saw me panhandling. Sales is not my strong point so I'll leave that field open for people like Steeze who can sell ice to an igloo or whatever the saying is.

Doing big business Salty..that $60 can go towards a lot of mcdoogles and 5 packs of root beer 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

believe it or not, multiple posters will probably complain about the nice hustle you pulled off.  its ridiculous cause there is literally no losers....you saved money and the guy you sold the ticket to saved money.

Well tha ski resort lost out. It's equivalent of a a.bartender hooking up customer that tips well. Customer and Bartender makes out and the owner gets screwed. 

I think the guy who bought the ticket was just desperate to get out on the snow instead of standing in the ridiculously long line. If Killington had a more efficient process for buying a lift pass, it might be much harder to sell a used ticket. At Camelback people complain because they buy a pass online and still have to stand in line for 20 minutes. Not sure what Killington does but I imagine it's the same thing, unless you buy a direct to lift ticket like I did.

I know we all want the mountains to be profitable, and I know it's expensive as hell to run a mountain. But I have zero guilt because mountains price gouge customers at any opportunity they can. Not even talking about just the lift pass, but the $20 buffalo chicken wrap and $15 for preferred parking, and rentals, lessons and so on. So It works both ways. That's the great thing about free market capitalism.

Edited by saltyant

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

For the Wookies reading this thread!!

Some old-school bragging: I saw Phish perform  that song at a little bar in Syracuse called "Hungry Charley's" in the very-early 90s.   Everybody in the crowd hilariously did randomly-timed pogo dancing throughout the song. It's one of my very favorite memories. 

Edited by SallyCat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SallyCat said:

A little part of me dies every time you say "Trax."

Why did you quit skiing!?

Just had enough skiing for a while. I like it but I'm not as passionate about it as everyone on here. Plus I got spoiled from virtually crowdless skiing all week (except Thursday morning), so when I saw the long lines at 9:30 I felt it was time to move on and return home after scoring a killer sale.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Wow. That's not usually what you read after a ski trip. Salty props for at least making the trip as well as your honesty.

Thanks. It was a great trip but just wasn't feeling like skiing today with the giant crowds.

Edited by saltyant

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty any idea how much money your trip cost you? I'm guessing maybe $1500 total maybe a few dollars more since you took the ferry. 

Nah couldnt have been that much. I don't want to add up the costs and I'm afraid to check my portfolio. 

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Nah couldnt have been that much. I don't want to add up the costs and I'm afraid to check my portfolio. 

even if it did, that's still pretty good for as long of a time as you spent up there. for a long weekend i figure it's gonna run us about $700 to $800.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

even if it did, that's still pretty good for as long of a time as you spent up there. for a long weekend i figure it's gonna run us about $700 to $800.

I was just thinking $100 per night lodging and $100 per day lift tickets..maybe a little less than that but then a lesson as well and waffles, mussels, salad bar, mcdoogles, calzones, wings, Capri sun, coffee and new gloves..plus gas, tolls, ferry ride...The ben and jerrys tour and seeing the mural in Burlington with me on it essentially free. 

I don't really think about food costs on a ski trip because when I'm at home I also spend money on food..not as much though. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I might try skinning up the mountain in the early morning next year to improve my stats. Was talking to people in line today about it and it sounds so fun.

You just need to buy an alpine touring setup..maybe mount some marker Dukes on your Elons..Toast can help you with skins...that would be badass. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I was just thinking $100 per night lodging and $100 per day lift tickets..maybe a little less than that but then a lesson as well and waffles, mussels, salad bar, mcdoogles, calzones, wings, Capri sun, coffee and new gloves..plus gas, tolls, ferry ride...The ben and jerrys tour and seeing the mural in Burlington with me on it essentially free. 

I don't really think about food costs on a ski trip because when I'm at home I also spend money on food..not as much though. 

Wow you remember everything. I'm so impressed. Didn't think anyone noticed the mural.

9 hours ago, guitar73 said:

all three of my cats are literally in my face.....i thought cats were solitary creatures...ours are very clingy and needy for atttention....

I thought cats were supposed to be quiet, too, but mine yowls all the time, like Ethel Merman screaming through a bullhorn. 

Re Salty: Are you allowed to skin trails before the mtn opens? Aren't there groomers and snowmobiles zooming around not expecting skiers?  

I can see it being enjoyable in the backcountry--great workout, peaceful solitude, natural beauty. I don't get what would be pleasurable about skinning up a resort groomer. It seems like the difference between going for a trail run in a beautiful natural area vs. running on a treadmill in a gym.

Edited by SallyCat

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

Re Salty: Are you allowed to skin trails before the mtn opens? Aren't there groomers and snowmobiles zooming around not expecting skiers?  

That's what I was wondering. A guy in line with me said he skinned up Ramshead yesterday morning. So I guess some mountains allow it. I was thinking of skinning up Marjies to get an extra FirstTraẍ run in before it gets crowded.

Edited by saltyant