1/24...nice snow..sausage Sunday.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

1 minute ago, eaf said:

If you were offered to share 6-pack with another pair and you declined, I'm inclined to call you a paranoid fool 'cause you chose to breath same air with a tons of other people foot away instead of leaving them behind and enjoying the breeze.

Eaf shut up..everybody has their own threshold for Covid risks.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Eaf shut up..everybody has their own threshold for Covid risks.  

It's not about thresholds. It's about common sense. Riding alone or only two per six-bench increases your time in line and all the associated risks.

But anyway, the cribbing was not about individual decisions. It was about lack of initiative on the attendant's part. All he had to do was to offer, but I guess he was too cold to open his mouth one extra time.

Edited by eaf

8 minutes ago, eaf said:

But anyway, the cribbing was not about individual decisions. It was about lack of initiative on the attendant's part. All he had to do was to offer, but I guess he was too cold to open his mouth one extra time.

I'll speak from experience as a former lift attendant. When the line was long, at first I'd suggest people pair up and they wouldn't. I couldn't force them to, so I just stopped caring because I was getting paid the same rate no matter how long the line was. 

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

Yeah, lifties don’t get paid enough to put up with bullshit. And probably no matter what they do someone doesn’t like it. 

They really don't but some of them are super nice and seem to enjoy their jobs. 

Saw something interesting yesterday at the Quad. A teenaged looking girl lift attendant came up to the guy directing traffic in line and said she was sent over to that chair specifically to enforce mask wearing. They chatted for a minute and he told her to start just walking around the line and talk to anyone who had their mask down or not on at all. 

• Like 4

I've ridden the six pack solo a few times despite a large line. I don't feel like coordinating pairing up with people every time I board. I just wanna listen to my music and can't be bothered with talking to strangers. So I just jump on when I'm next in line and if someone rides with me that's cool. If no one does that's cool too. Usually 1 or 2 people will ride with me. 

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I've ridden the six pack solo a few times despite a large line. I don't feel like coordinating pairing up with people every time I board. I just wanna listen to my music and can't be bothered with talking to strangers. So I just jump on when I'm next in line and if someone rides with me that's cool. If no one does that's cool too. Usually 1 or 2 people will ride with me. 

I'd say that it should be in your interests that the line moves as smooth as possible. That includes yelling at the other guy who was paired up with you but decided that he'd rather ride solo at the very last moment. Yeah, that happens really often these days too. Some rebel by not wearing any mask, some would quickly forget the 20 min wait that they had to endure and would rather reward themselves for all the sufferings with a royal ride to the top.

For both kinds of extremes there are lifties that generally can knock some common sense into the selfish heads. I hope that those who don't bother because they don't feel like they're paid enough for it, don't stay lifties for too long.

Can't wait for this pandemic to be over, at least so that I can see again how individualistic asses are getting smashed together 4 or 6 on one bench like in good old times and lifts working to their designed capacity.

Edited by eaf

Nice on Monday. Was lazy today, so after a warmup run on Paradise to get the knee oil running (Sidewinder closed due to blowing snow), I spent the morning on Razors and the quad. Excellent shape.
Challenge seemed to have been widened, but I figured it couldn’t be better than Razors was this morning. Plus there were marbles on the falls.

14 hours ago, eaf said:

If you were offered to share 6-pack with another pair and you declined, I'm inclined to call you a paranoid fool 'cause you chose to breath same air with a tons of other people foot away instead of leaving them behind and enjoying the breeze.

Oh, shit, they’re eating their own!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Yeah, lifties don’t get paid enough to put up with bullshit. And probably no matter what they do someone doesn’t like it. 

I actually enjoyed being a lift attendant. It was the easiest job I've ever had. Stand there for 30 minutes, occaisonally hit the slow or stop button, pick up skis and poles dropped by jerries, then do nothing for 30 minutes while rotating with someone else. 

Edited by saltyant

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I actually enjoyed being a lift attendant. It was the easiest job I've ever had. Stand there for 30 minutes, occaisonally hit the slow or stop button, pick up skis and poles dropped by jerries, then do nothing for 30 minutes while rotating with someone else. 

And in the rotation you ride up or down the lift right?  Any other perks like maybe a discount on food?

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

And in the rotation you ride up or down the lift right?  Any other perks like maybe a discount on food?

No, we took turns staying in the warming hut. Hah, it was at Eagle Rock so no discounts. However, when the manager was a young guy who didnt give a funk about anything, we were allowed to ski on our 30 minute rotations which was badass!!! Then when a new manager took over all the fun and shenanigans stopped, so I quit 

Edited by saltyant

3 hours ago, eaf said:

I'd say that it should be in your interests that the line moves as smooth as possible. That includes yelling at the other guy who was paired up with you but decided that he'd rather ride solo at the very last moment. Yeah, that happens really often these days too.

I'm a nihilist and feel that any action or inaction taken by me with respect to pairing up with strangers will have no material impact on the lift lines. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

No, we took turns staying in the warming hut. Hah, it was at Eagle Rock so no discounts. However, when the manager was a young guy who didnt give a funk about anything, we were allowed to ski on our 30 minute rotations which was badass!!! Then when a new manager took over all the fun and shenanigans stopped, so I quit 

What year were you at eagle rock?

26 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

What year were you at eagle rock?

Lol I cant remember, 2015 and 2016 I think? I'd have to go thru my tax returns.

I worked weekends while also working my current full time job for something to do over the winter and to meet some groovy ski chicks (of course that didnt happen). I also had an interest in skiing but didn't have the slightest clue about how to get started. Working at Eagle Rock got me into skiing and to ultimately meet JFDan so I'm eternally grateful for that.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I worked weekends while also working my current full time job for something to do over the winter and to meet some groovy ski chicks (of course that didnt happen). I also had an interest in skiing but didn't have the slightest clue about how to get started. Working at Eagle Rock got me into skiing and to ultimately meet JFDan so I'm eternally grateful for that.

Malvern is grate 

• Thanks 1

We moved on to JFBB in 2013. When you were there was it closed to the public?

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How has camelback been?  Crowded? I saw that season passholders dawn do first tracks starting at 730am which is rad 

It’s been grate! Doing first tracks and riding right up to the lift until around 9. Then the lines start forming, by 1030 they’re about 15 minutes but the trails are still empty. We leave around 11. Friday nights still about a 5 minute line, drinking by the fire pits in front of the lodge is good, not hard to grab a spot. Parking in lot 10 with a 100 foot walk to the Stevenson is easy too. We’re really glad we made the switch.

• Love 1
  • Boner City 1

1 hour ago, poconoceancity said:

We moved on to JFBB in 2013. When you were there was it closed to the public?

Yes, when I worked there it was closed to the public. I'd love to go back just one more time to ski Baldy, which was the very first slope I ever skied. But of course I don't know anyone who lives there so it's impossible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yes, when I worked there it was closed to the public. I'd love to go back just one more time to ski Baldy, which was the very first slope I ever skied. But of course I don't know anyone who lives there so it's impossible.

I know a guy. Covid doesn't make things easy but I can look into it for you. 

• Thanks 1