12/22 - Real good... Real crowded...

eaf

Finally some winter spirit and winter conditions.

The snow was great right from the start, no ice, no cookies, grippy and fast with just some freshly blown spots, since the guns were still on. Both Quad and and Main Street Express working, though the MSE had a period when it was slower than the slowest lift at JFBB. Paradise is still narrow, which took some fun out of it, esp. after crowds came, Burma was at timed impassable with all the people on it, but Main Street and Midway were plain spectacular, and so was the Coming Soon.

It got kinda crowded 90 mins into skiing, and by 12 it became unbearable with the Quad line up to the gates. Luckily they started the line management, and the single lane absolutely rocked.

Great morning, people were still pouring in at 12, and the new and slick parking on top got its first paying customers.

• Like 5

I dunno, for me "Real good" & "great" is stretching it.  Your bar is set way lower than mine.  After the first run, I'd say ok, at best.  Well, better than nothing.

Rolling up 946 by the school, a bald eagle crossed the road in front of me.  Maybe it'll be a good day...
27' in the lot as I pulled in.  As I look across the row while booting up, there's a Jerry wearing sweatpants tucked into the tops of his boots. 
Nope, guess it's gonna be one of those days...

First run down took P-dis and it was probably ROTD with new snow and all but a single SP track down the upper.  Lower had some washboard and slick in spots.
Coming Soon was next and marbles already appearing and the headwall must have only had a skitch of snow blown on it because it was already slick and had to dodge a boarder sitting in the middle.  Now I know it's gonna be one of those days.

Over to the other side to get Burma done before the masses. Vista, with its fan guns, had some of the best snow on the mountain.
Welp too late, had to dodge early rising beginners down Burma.  Icy in the usual spots...

Midway was already marbled up by the time we got there with some slick spots down the middle.
Lower main was fair, but it too had marbles appearing.  They had 3 slow signs to the far right at the merge, leaving just enough space between them and the edge to sneak past, but you had to watch for incoming people that wanted to swipe right into your path.
Later the left side of Midway had some softer scrapings forming into bumps with the middle being scraped off pretty good, but annoying beginners were standing on the side right in the line.

By 11:30am both lift lines were back to the readers, so we called it.

• Like 6

Thought today was pretty decent.  Midway was skiable mini marbles, and lower main was pretty good.  Crowds were horrible by 10:30.  The slow signs are just making getting through there worse.  This weekend is gonna be super interesting with crowds.  

lower upper main looks like its getting filled in, but upper upper main didnt look like it had as much snowmaking on it.  Upper Razors was getting treated, but looks like they turned them on not long before opening, as they were just making stuff white.  Lazy had a fairly impressive amount of snow on it compared to upper main.  

i think they still have some guns on.  

• Like 5

Meh, IDK. I sharpened my skis yesterday following GSS's report, perhaps that made some difference. And I'll disagree about Midway and Main Street. They held up way, way better than what I've seen this year before. As for borders, there was truly a heap of them today. I never know how to pass them safely, but at least they weren't trashing the snow that bad, due to cold and firmness.

• Like 4

Blue never used to be that busy until December 26th…I think bear creek not being open and not much better skiing up north right now is making them extra busy plus so many season passholders.  I’m still wondering how many Ikoners are at Blue and would be interesting to know how much Blue gets from each visit.  Prob like $35 or something, can’t be much.  

I’m sick of the slow sign lower Main Street to shuttle shit..but better than not skiing.  Some forecasters are hinting at a pattern change after one more shitty weather week.  

Thanks for all the reports, today was the first day I missed this season and won’t be around this weekend as I’m playing Santa Claus for young and old relatives.  

• Like 1

Just returned from a quick jaunt.  Only did three runs all down coming soon.  One look at the lower main/shuttle nightmare and thought best to avoid it.  Generally pretty firm on the center of everything I rode.  Milked the pushed off snow from the center down skiers left and flirted with the ditch a little.  Traffic from the bottom of coming soon to lift was horrendous.  Looking forward to an “open” run in the morning for sure…

IMG_2523.jpeg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

I thought MS was the best of the year today.  I love that you clowns all start on the quad for some reason.  There is no way that Paradise or CS is going to be better than MS.  And that held true today.

Dang clowns 🤡, dont they know you cant get into Barbs way from the quad!!