Elk report Wed 3-29

bigdaddyk

I made it out for the second day, this week and conditions were pretty good again. It was warmer today, which made the snow soften up quicker. There were also more people there, which lead to the snow being pushed around more. I went to the west side a little more today. The farthest trail, lenape looked like it was getting thin in spots and shrinking. On a few other trails, a few thin spots were popping up, but overall there is still a decent amount of quality snow quality. I'm one who worries about scratching the bottoms of my skis, but I still wasn't too concerned about that today, because of the amount of snow.

I did notice, toward the bottom of Susquehanna, that there were yellow patches popping up. It didn't seem like mud and it wasn't :snowpee: . Only thing I could think of is that it might be oil from when the snow was made, from the hose lines?? :confused . Anybody know anything about what that might be?

We get lots of oil in our snow. It comes from the Areco guns---the one's that look like cement mixers. I have to bring a rag to wipe down my skis every time out, now that the snow layers have melted down. If you remember from last year, you can actually set our snow on fire with a lighter.