06-07 plans

Tyler

bullshit on that VTMark, maybe if you were argueing with a bunch of idiots, but how anyone can deny the exsistance of global warming is beyond me. Its really a simple concept, even those scientists that are 'against' global warming don't say that it isn't happening, just that its not happening to the degree others say, or that greenhouse gasses don't change the atmosphere like other scientists say it does. None of the scientists out there will argue that humans have no effect on the climate, some just say less effect than the dooms-dayers.

Think of a glass of water. If you put hot water out on a table, eventually reach room temperature. The amount of time it takes depends on the thermal conductivity of the glass, but eventually it will happen. Now look at the earth, it is basically the water in the glass, and our atmosphere is the glass itself. The atmosphere has a pretty much constant thermal conductivity. One side of hte earth heats up, one side cools at any given moment. Clearly the atmosphere can't dissapate heat at an infinite rate becuase at night when you are facing space, the temperature drops only a few dozen degrees, not the hundreds of degree shifts that happen in space between shade and light.

Well now put that glass of water over a fire, and look - it heats up. Everything is the same as before, same amount of water, same room, same glass, but the extra energy from the fire heats up the water. THe glass still dissapates heat at a certain rate, but now there is too much heat to get out at that rate and it climbs even higher (lets just say it never boils).

Well in this case, the earth is over a fire. That fire is the use of energy by humans. We are adding energy to the system that wasn't there before. All of our energy is at some point or another heat, with probably the exception of solar power. THere is all this extra heat, the atmosphere can only dissapate it at a certain rate, so everything is slightly warmer. Now this doesn't seem like a big deal becuase we have seen its not a huge amount, but lets look at melting rates around the world, and we all know from snowboarding that the differance between snow and rain is just a few degrees. Not even factoring in if green house gasses do something or not, the extra heat around is melting snow that wouldn't otherwise have been melted, etc etc etc. Eventually we will have a problem.

Now on the other hand, a massive volcano (killamanjaro) can drop worldwide temperatures and average of 2, 3, degrees a year. So if we just nuke a volcano every decade or so, we can equalize global warming right? Not a good idea? Why?

Sorry, hate to hijack the thread but the whole "I don't believe global warming" thing is a rediculous notion perpetuated by selfish people.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bullshit on that VTMark, maybe if you were argueing with a bunch of idiots, but how anyone can deny the exsistance of global warming is beyond me. Its really a simple concept, even those scientists that are 'against' global warming don't say that it isn't happening, just that its not happening to the degree others say, or that greenhouse gasses don't change the atmosphere like other scientists say it does. None of the scientists out there will argue that humans have no effect on the climate, some just say less effect than the dooms-dayers.

Think of a glass of water. If you put hot water out on a table, eventually reach room temperature. The amount of time it takes depends on the thermal conductivity of the glass, but eventually it will happen. Now look at the earth, it is basically the water in the glass, and our atmosphere is the glass itself. The atmosphere has a pretty much constant thermal conductivity. One side of hte earth heats up, one side cools at any given moment. Clearly the atmosphere can't dissapate heat at an infinite rate becuase at night when you are facing space, the temperature drops only a few dozen degrees, not the hundreds of degree shifts that happen in space between shade and light.

Well now put that glass of water over a fire, and look - it heats up. Everything is the same as before, same amount of water, same room, same glass, but the extra energy from the fire heats up the water. THe glass still dissapates heat at a certain rate, but now there is too much heat to get out at that rate and it climbs even higher (lets just say it never boils).

Well in this case, the earth is over a fire. That fire is the use of energy by humans. We are adding energy to the system that wasn't there before. All of our energy is at some point or another heat, with probably the exception of solar power. THere is all this extra heat, the atmosphere can only dissapate it at a certain rate, so everything is slightly warmer. Now this doesn't seem like a big deal becuase we have seen its not a huge amount, but lets look at melting rates around the world, and we all know from snowboarding that the differance between snow and rain is just a few degrees. Not even factoring in if green house gasses do something or not, the extra heat around is melting snow that wouldn't otherwise have been melted, etc etc etc. Eventually we will have a problem.

Now on the other hand, a massive volcano (killamanjaro) can drop worldwide temperatures and average of 2, 3, degrees a year. So if we just nuke a volcano every decade or so, we can equalize global warming right? Not a good idea? Why?

Sorry, hate to hijack the thread but the whole "I don't believe global warming" thing is a rediculous notion perpetuated by selfish people.

Method is correct! I'm turning off my heat next winter and never driving my car again!

please if you insest on having an argument with me that your not goign to win start a thread in the longe

I'm not selfish, I'm just not a sucker for liberal propaganda and bullshit.

thank you!

Method is correct! I'm turning off my heat next winter and never driving my car again!

sounds good to me maybe you wont be able to get to the mountian next year.

sounds good to me maybe you wont be able to get to the mountian next year.

Maybe it will be so "Globally Warm" that they will never make snow again. Enjoy the new Bitch Pack with no snow! Maybe those condos at Blue will be beachfront after the meltdown! Now that would be cool, surfing in Palmerton!

:ph34r:

Maybe it will be so "Globally Warm" that they will never make snow again. Enjoy the new Bitch Pack with no snow! Maybe those condos at Blue will be beachfront after the meltdown! Now that would be cool, surfing in Palmerton!

I'm not shure if tahts sarcasm or if its the reason our education system is in the crapper. <_<

Guess whose back in the mo-fo house with a fat d*** in his mo-fo mouth

Who? Doug Slifkin?

I ski Blue mountain yes I do...I ski Blue mountain yes I do...I ski Blue mountain yes I do..yes I do yes I do

I ski Blue mountain yes I do...I ski Blue mountain yes I do...I ski Blue mountain yes I do..yes I do yes I do

I ski Jackson Hole less than Blue..yes I do yes I do...I ski Jackson Hole less than Blue...yes I do yes I do

I ski Stowe less than Jackson Hole..yes I do..yes I do...I ski Stowe less than Jackson Hole..yes I do yes I do

I ski Hunter less than Stowe..yes I do..yes I do..I ski Hunter less than Stowe yes I do yes I do

I ski Camelback less than Hunter yes I do yes I do...I ski Camelback less than Hunter yes I do yes I do

I hit up the Tanglewood once in my life...I once skied Doe mountain but never Bear Creek my favorite

icon is take a leak..take a peak at the RSN channel when I'm in Stowe or Bellows falls..got big balls..this rap

goes out to all of y'all yes I do whoop dee do ha ha ha ha delirious mysterious furious curious George the

curious little monkey when it comes to kong it's got to be donky Funky Spunky singing off Key mad oldschool

like Robert E Lee...A is for apple S is for scrapple..driving a Buick Regal looking at Seagals with a Beagal

named Snoopy feeling kind of Loopy eyes are droopy from lack of rest put you to the test cause my Rhymes

are the best..

That is GAY! My first graders could come up with something better than that! I was trying to be nice!

the only good thing about surfing in palmerton would be that i dont have to drive two hours to get to the beach. i'd have to pass on that though, as i dont really want to develop anemia from all the zinc that would be in the water.

the only good thing about surfing in palmerton would be that i dont have to drive two hours to get to the beach. i'd have to pass on that though, as i dont really want to develop anemia from all the zinc that would be in the water.

The zinc won't hurt you. Ask all the people in Palmerton. They are all normal. Not!

The zinc won't hurt you. Ask all the people in Palmerton. They are all normal. Not!

o man, when we go and cut the palmerton hospital grass and shit, its so wierd.

im not sure if everyone says this or if its just the guys i work with

a TRUE palmeranian has one no teeth, and walks with a limp.

then theres the "palmerton worm" that is like the biggest palmeranian there. it has one big tooth in the front (hense the worm analogy)

Edited by Shadows

please don't get any of us started on this we had a LONG disscusion on this a wile back and it whent no were good. if anything it was pretty much global warming is just a natural process... or at least if i remmber correctly thats what it ended at.

Not a good way to look at it really, Yes the Earth does go through cycles of warming and cooling, But the earth has never warmed at the rate that it is warming now, so yeah it's a natural process but humans are speeding it up, and we aren't really sure what that it will do. Nor are we prepared to deal with the changes that are coming.

Sorry to bring it up, but I can't beleive a bunch of skiers walk around totally ignorant to one of the biggest issues facing us as skiers and humans.

BTW, feel free to comment if you like, but I won't respond anymore, you'll never change my mind, not that I couldn't change my position, just that someone I know once made the point that if a person isn't a sceintist and can't suspend their feelings and just look at the scientific findings/data and determine for themselves what is happening, then they should just stay out of the conversation. I've done my research, and I've made my decisions based on the information I saw, for and against. Don't just look at what is being told to you, go right to the source and decided for yourself.

Edited by dwnhlldav

the only reason why global warming became political is because it requires that people actually do something about it. no one cared when they started coming up with crazy new physics theories or math concepts, but all of a sudden we have a theory that actually impacts daily life, and people get pissed off because it might make them realize that in fact, they themselves are not the center of the universe. THe people who are against global warming are against it because they don't want enviremental restrictions on businesses and people because they don't want to be bothered with the inconvience. THen it becomes a political issue and partisan cronies toe the Republican line on it and start putting out essays here and there that go against it. But when someone says that a hurricane can hit New Orleans and swamp it with water creating a huge catastrophe, the government went right ahead and built up the levees even though some other poeple kept looking at history and said "look, the hurricanes haven't been THAT BAD, why waste my tax money on it becuase I need an extra $100 in my pocket now damn it.". Thats the same thing with global warming, some people in this country don't want their taxes to go up a tiny bit, but the government says, no lets take the cautious route and listen to the majority of scientists becuase if they are right, we are in serious trouble. Thus the great strides forward we have made.

Whoops, wrong universe.

Scientists predict, people don't listen, government doesn't act, people get screwed.

A great example, my dad is an executive at a paint company. Decades ago they used to clean out the paint vats with paint thinner, dump it into a 55 gallon drum, take it out back and kick it over. It evaporates right? Well decades latter the ground is contaiminated with lead. Ignore what all that solvent did to the atmosphere. My dad is no friend of the EPA or the envirment, but looking back he wished the people before him had never done that. Why? Becuase now it costs them millions of dollars a year to pump clean water beneath their site so the lead doesn't get into the city's ground water. The cost of disposing it back then compared to the cost of cleaning it now is crazy. So now they don't even wash the vats. They make the light colors first, and the cleaner for the tank is actually included in the next batch, so it goes like yellow->blue->green and eventually they make black paint with the end. It only has to be cleaned once for every 10 or so batches. If we just make everything more efficient we won't have as many problems. Go ahead and drive your car next year, and run your heat. But explain to me why we aren't researching fuel cells more? Why waste our time and money on ethanol when it doesn't do anything consequential, whereas fuel cell technology would?

java script:ViewImage('http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/member/pictures/1147379795NSPhoto.jpg');

we need one of these

another pic:http://www.newschoolers.com/ns3/web/content/pictures.php?img=76908&