March 16th - lifts closed because of snow

Timeless

Just come back from fantastic conditions at CB, but they have shut down nearly the entire hill because of the snow!!!!!

They now have one lift running (The Bailey, a slow double) which really limits you to a couple of runs without hiking at both ends.

The poor guy (Mark) turning people away from the quad was embarrassed to be having to tell people they were shutting it down because they are worried about the snow sticking to the chairs, even my kids were dissin' such a lame excuse.

Amazingly nice conditions though, 6-8 inches of creamy poe :drool

The snow still coming down hard, this could be a massive dump by the time it's finished.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Blue run their 6er and quad in the wind? Yes

Does Blue run their 6er and quad in the rain? Yes

Does Blue run their 6er and quad in the sleet? Yes

Does Blue run their 6er and quad in the snow? Yes

Does every other resort in the country run their high speed lifts in the snow? Yes.

Does Camelback? No.

Sorry Camelback, you lose.

Here we go, the direction of the wind has more to do with it than anything. I am also pretty sure that if the grips get too much of a build up of ice and or snow they become faulty. Remember how long ago CB got there detachables? When did Blue get theres? Just maybe they have improved on the tecnology in recent years. Who else has high speed lifts in the pocono's that are more than 10 years old?

As for the daily reports from Craig...why should he waste his time when all you guys do is whine about them.

Here we go, the direction of the wind has more to do with it than anything. I am also pretty sure that if the grips get too much of a build up of ice and or snow they become faulty. Remember how long ago CB got there detachables? When did Blue get theres? Just maybe they have improved on the tecnology in recent years. Who else has high speed lifts in the pocono's that are more than 10 years old?

You can not defend CB on this one.

Sorry.

As for the daily reports from Craig...why should he waste his time when all you guys do is whine about them.

If you can't run your lifts in the VERY light wind we had today, they should be condemed and replaced. If it is so dangorous to run them in these winds, something is wrong. Big time. Sure, the grips can get a buildup of ice and snow, but wouldnt every lift in the country get a buildup when it snows or sleets? I don't think you get the point. Nobody else closes their lifts around here because of snow or ice. Craig explained to me in person, very indepth, about why Camelback closes their lifts. He's a very good at what he does (marketing/sugar coating), but if the issue with the lifts at Camelback is true, then why doesn't every mountain have them? There are plenty of quads around world that are older then Camelback's in much more windy areas, and they turn. Either Camelback needs to stop adding on to their water park and invest some money in lift maintence, or get their tail from out between their legs and run the lifts. It's bad for skiers in general. I hate to see fellow PASR's that don't get to enjoy the same epic powder that I get to at Blue, where both high speeds were running.

Ski patrollers at Camelback must love it when they get the day off.

This just in: Camelback Ski Area will not open for ski operations during the 2007/2008. Winter is a very cold time of year and for the safety of the public we feel that it is better for everyone to stay inside where it is safe. On a related note, it is very impractical to make snow anyway because it wil just melt eventually.

:lol

camelback is always good for a few laughs.

my old car couldnt drive above 70 miles an hour because it was older then 10 years and the wheels might not be able to take it. anyone else know of any cars older then 10 years in america that have gone faster then 70?

Wow, I really feel bad for Craig on this one...it's like his boss just walked up to a baby and slapped it. There no good excuse.

When I called Sno this afternoon to make sure they weren't closing early because of the snow, they sorta made me feel like an idiot for even asking----which I took as a good thing.

Truth be told. I was helping the lift department today by working the Stevenson from 7:30-4:30. At around 9:30am the Stevenson was having a tower fault running at its regular speed for every chair that past tower one. We found the lifts sweet spot which was about half its regular speed where it wouldn't fault and they let it run for a couple more hours until the mechanics were set to get it repaired and we shut it down and opened up the Raceway.

The Raceway closed down at 4 because by the end of the day shift we had only 2 night lift operators show for work when I was leaving. Some day shift stayed later in the day to help out until some extra help was called in for the night shift. You can't run lifts without operators.

As for why the Sullivan was shut down in exchange for the Bailey was a direct order from the big man himself. I'm not sure why this call was made, possibly due to old technology but I don't think that was it. Bad decision in my opinion but I am uneducated in the reasoning behind it. The rest of the lift issues today could not be helped.

If this isn't understandable to the Camelback haters, I don't know what to tell ya lifts don't get shut down just to piss people off.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

Of course we close them just to piss people off! It obviously has nothing to do with safety, wind, ice, or anything like that. For the number of people that were here, the Bailey lift was plenty. The groomers got out on the rest of the mountain early, so whatever falls later tonight will be on top of fresh groomed. It will be sweet. We had wind around 25-30 with gusts up to 60mph coming straight up and from the north west across the mountain. Maybe our exposure is different than other places, I don't know. I would prefer to not have to do a lift evac because someone wasn't being cautious. If you made your decision to not come out tonight because you can only ride high speed lifts, than I feel sorry for you. I had a whole bunch of really good runs in some really good snow. Tomorrow is even going to be better, because the east side was preserved a little.

Go ahead and fault us for leaning towards safety and cautiousness. Remember that when your stuck on a lift that was derailed by the wind and you have to wait to be rescued.

Camelback is suck a joke! I went there once this year and I wouldn't go again unless someone gave me a free lift ticket. I think its time they ditch about half the ranger staff that work there because there all on a power trip and use the money for something useful like a lift that works in snow. Camelback you SUCK!

Of course we close them just to piss people off! It obviously has nothing to do with safety, wind, ice, or anything like that.

I worked a Doppelmayr quad that was installed the same year as CB's and we'd run it in crosswinds up to 55 miles per hour. We'd run it non-stop on days where it would snow five inches an hour. I ran it all season and had zero (0) lift evacs. This is all antecedal evidence, but I find it extremely hard to believe that CB wouldn't have kept that lift running if it were a holiday weekend.

For the number of people that were here, the Bailey lift was plenty.

Hahahahahaha.

For the number of people that were here, the Bailey lift was plenty.

There's your problem right there. Camelback thinks its acceptable to close their quads, because Customers don't care about getting to the top fast, but they care more about using the correct lift due to crowds. I guess thats how you guys over at CB rationalize dumb decisions.

I worked a Doppelmayr quad that was installed the same year as CB's and we'd run it in crosswinds up to 55 miles per hour. We'd run it non-stop on days where it would snow five inches an hour. I ran it all season and had zero (0) lift evacs. This is all antecedal evidence, but I find it extremely hard to believe that CB wouldn't have kept that lift running if it were a holiday weekend.

Hahahahahaha.

Game. Set. Match. :bow:

i talked to my parents about how camelback is always closing and how they make such suckish terrain parks, and now my home mountain next year is either blue or BB!

choose BB, I need some kids for David to hang with.

I think it has more to do with people not showing up to work because the roads were pretty crappy unless you have a 4x4. My friend's Nissan got stuck in the lot last night and we had to dig him out this moring. Made the best of it and went to the Tannersville Inn then stayed over in Bartonsville for the night. I get through because I have a 4x4. Not everyone who works there has all wheel drive or a 4x4.

Winds on top of mountain about 6:30 p.m. were about 45+ mph blowing from the NNE and directly up the hill and the snow was drifting. I was laughing because it was almost making a coronus on top of some trails.

In the parking lot it was funny watching a Mercedes all wheel drive SUV rocking back and fourth for 10-15 minutes to try and make it out of their parking spot last night. I guess the old Ford is a lot better than some forign car in the snow just lock the 4x4 and make your own parking spot.

The "back" way in was closed last night so had to take the normal way down. On the hair pin turn going down even my truck lost all traction and would not stop, had to steer straight and out of troubble rather than making the turn.

CB was even plowing the access road all the way to the light in Tannersville and the roads were still pretty shitty.