what will be the new signal for "winter is here"?

rgrwilco

the boards have been slow, so i decided to try and get a thread going with good discussion and speculation.

personally, i paid more attention in the past to what killington was doing with regards to snowmaking to signal the start of winter, however early. when k opened, it usually meant that there would be riding in at least southern ny or Massachusetts within a few weeks.

now with the new ownership doing away with early seasons, which mountain do you guys think will signal the start of east coast skiing and riding?

i think that belleayre, sugarbush, or mt snow will be the ones to open earliest for the northeast(yeah i know north carolina beat out Vermont last year). and we all pretty much know that in pa its going to be between 7springs, sno, and boulder.

so what do you guys all think?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i need to get the fuck out of pa

Wanna bum it for a few years? We'll be roommates...

As for early season, i could see probably Sugarloaf/Sunday river opening first obviously because they are the furtherest north. Maybe Sugarbush.

Im planning on making a few trips in november to ride, but of course that all depends on the weather. The weekend of Nov 24th i'll be in VT, so somewhere up there better be open....

Edit: Doug, im sure you could find a REAL job in some bigger city out west.. Sure you'd probably ski alittle less but not if you can find the right job. The skiing would be 1000x times better than riding Blue all the time anyway...

Edited by KnuckleDragger

Sno's pr release said they plan to be the earliest to open in the Poconos. At one of the meetings, a Sno rep (I forget which one) said that they would take advantage of the first cold stretch in late Nov or early Dec, rather than waiting until mid-December, as Montage had in the past.

Until Sno builds a jib following, attendance in late season won't keep the lifts running like at BB. But everyone is jonesing to ski/ride by November, so it makes sense to open early.

Doug, leave his current job? Are you kidding me?

I love to ski, but I'd never want to live out west unless I was wealthy. Living on $8.50/hour wouldn't be fun. I'd do something like Sibhusky, make my fortune (but take it out before the market crashed :banghead ) and then move out west, but that's not happening any time soon.

So true..I have alot of job security...It would be cool to retire to a ski town and just live a life of leisure...just ski everyday and when ski season was over travel somewhere...I guess I should be saving money for this.. :crymore:

"Ski Towns" are few and far between anymore, and these days they are becoming rediculously expensive to even live in anymore.

Edit: and doug you must not be core enough, if your not willing to drop everything to ski all the time :banghead

Edited by KnuckleDragger

I love to ski, but I'd never want to live out west unless I was wealthy. Living on $8.50/hour wouldn't be fun. I'd do something like Sibhusky, make my fortune (but take it out before the market crashed :banghead ) and then move out west, but that's not happening any time soon.

if you didnt have PA plates everyone would think you live in jersey/NYC.

Same with you and nearly everybody here on PASR..Sibhusky and DHarrisburg are the only core members..I already dropped everything to ski all the time and I ended up skiing less than I currently do, due to no night skiing..

edit: And this coming from the guy who didn't ride for 6-7 weeks in a row during the best part of the ski season..

Wow, learn to take a joke....

Sno's pr release said they plan to be the earliest to open in the Poconos. At one of the meetings, a Sno rep (I forget which one) said that they would take advantage of the first cold stretch in late Nov or early Dec, rather than waiting until mid-December, as Montage had in the past.

YES!!! competition is a good thing.... not only are they going to beat each other open, hopefully they will try and out do each other in quantity and quality...

Wow, learn to take a joke....

and or get a life.

YES!!! competition is a good thing.... not only are they going to beat each other open, hopefully they will try and out do each other in quantity and quality...

Sno's new system is is very similar to BB's. All things considered, including source water temp and average daily highs, it will come down to who wants it more. And as we all know, that early window of opportunity lasts for about a week before temps jump back up. Any area that passes up on that first cold week can end up losing three weeks of early season skiing and a lot of really good press.

I'll be reminding the Sno higher-up's of this repeatedly in Oct/Nov. :yes

I've been thinking about doing a VT roadtrip. Start at Jay Peak and just work my way down 100 south since most of the ski resorts are relativly close to that highway.

We did it a couple of times when I lived in Massachusetts...drove up to Jay, then worked our way down to Snow, where I worked weekends. Pretty easy to hit seven in a week, or even more.

MRG has a few snowboarders hiking for turns a lot of weekend mornings. They used to have a policy that if you showed up with a board at the ticket window, they'd give you free rental skis (eh, for whatever that was worth).

Doug, have you heard whether Magic will be open this winter for sure?

I read several Magic reports on Skivt-l this past season. I just went to their webpage and yes they'll be open this next season. They are already selling 2007-08 season passes. They had a pretty bad 2006-07 season but I guess their low overhead is keeping them alive.

http://www.magicmtn.com/seasonpass.php

Cool, thanks. Their snowcats had been repoed and it looked really bad for them just a few years ago. I didn't read a lot about it, but I was interested because I used to ski there every once in a while in the late 80's. I vaguely recall that a group from Philly (like Sno) were going to buy the place. It sort of reminded me of skiing Haystack, but with two pretty steep runs thrown in.

Yikes..it sometimes doesn't snow here at all until January...more like if temperatures get below freezing and humidity is low for snowmaking then it's winter..

eh. he's got a good point

Edited by kyle

• 1 month later...
I read several Magic reports on Skivt-l this past season. I just went to their webpage and yes they'll be open this next season. They are already selling 2007-08 season passes. They had a pretty bad 2006-07 season but I guess their low overhead is keeping them alive.

http://www.magicmtn.com/seasonpass.php

I had a couple of really good days up there last year, the day before Valentine's or Valentine's can't remember, was pretty sweet. The best thing is that it is a good place to stop on the way to the bigger stuff in NEK. .....PASR should throw together a Jackson or UT trip together, the hostel in Jackson is cool and cheap and ECer's go ape shit when they get out there. I remember when then UVM kids from TGR went to Jackson and just charged off of everything, be warned though they all moved out there after graduation.

I had a couple of really good days up there last year, the day before Valentine's or Valentine's can't remember, was pretty sweet. The best thing is that it is a good place to stop on the way to the bigger stuff in NEK. .....PASR should throw together a Jackson or UT trip together, the hostel in Jackson is cool and cheap and ECer's go ape shit when they get out there. I remember when then UVM kids from TGR went to Jackson and just charged off of everything, be warned though they all moved out there after graduation.

I remember watching those videos. The UVM crew charged hard. I think they all moved out there last season, but how many of them actually stayed for this season to?

As far as a big trip. It's hard to organize something like that. I'd be all for it, but getting a set week in is hard between people in school and peoples jobs.

It's funny that you say the EC'ers just explode when they get out there because a local i talked to in one of the Shops in teton village said the same thing.