Aspen Stoke

AtomicSkier

No shit :blink: ...the goal would be to get it before it got like that. I know the only appeal of a powder day for you is hucking off rocks and cliffs, but skiing a 44 degree pitch with almost 2' untracked like they had in the bowl for today is pretty appealing to me.

If that was blank, yeah, I would probably hike for it. If people started passing my slow ass I'd probably drop in early too just to get mine before they tracked it out. I'd be doing spray turns too, really milking whatever snow I got. You show a picture of a tracked bowl and say you feel bad for people who didn't hike for it and it doesn't make me wish I had.

Still I'd probably rather just find something in the BC that I don't have to race people for. Something that isn't featureless and something I can ride a week or two after the storm and it's still a blank canvas.

If that was blank, yeah, I would probably hike for it. If people started passing my slow ass I'd probably drop in early too just to get mine before they tracked it out. I'd be doing spray turns too, really milking whatever snow I got. You show a picture of a tracked bowl and say you feel bad for people who didn't hike for it and it doesn't make me wish I had.

Still I'd probably rather just find something in the BC that I don't have to race people for. Something that isn't featureless and something I can ride a week or two after the storm and it's still a blank canvas.

I regularly hike for worse snow than that, but I enjoy the hiking part, and getting the workout. Sure, i would RATHER ski untracked in the BC, but you simply can't ski terrain like that in the BC mid winter unless you are an idiot (at least not in Colorado)

Sure, i would RATHER ski untracked in the BC, but you simply can't ski terrain like that in the BC mid winter unless you are an idiot (at least not in Colorado)

Every year is different. In my experience this is not true. The first 2 of 3 years I was able to get some goods. This wasn't an every day event, I timed things right and had my eye on the pack the whole time. I'm pretty sure I stayed in bounds a number of days it was good and stable in the BC as well.

On the other hand last year was so bad I only got on 1 BC slope steep enough to slide. It slid to the ground when I ski cut the pillow on the entrance roll into the pitch. This is more or less what I was hoping for. I was going to hike out if I couldn't get something to release. The stuff below was a beautiful low pitch pillow field and mountain lion tracks leading to a hut.

Nearly all of my untracked runs were NOT in guidebooks though. They did not have a boot pack or skin track taking you there either.

• Like 1

Glenn how was this past weekend at Bridger?

No idea. Work took priority this week and weekend. I went to the now defunct Bear Canyon ski resort and hiked for some very tracked heavy untracked which we opted out of for some very tracked groomer like snow. Not a bad day, but next time I'll just go all the way to Ellis.

I'm in my room at the Best Western Salina, KS. Two days down. One to go.

I called you a few minutes ago...there is a chance I'll be in Aspen much later then expected. I'll call you tomorrow when I'm in either Dulles or O'hare when I know more about my day. If my 6am flight gets canned tomorrow, I'm going to try to arrive in ASE around 7pm.