Aspen Stoke

AtomicSkier

For those of you still following this thread on page nine, here is a mini TR. Yesterday was quite the day. As soon as Jeff left it started snowing and didn't stop until one p.m. yesterday when the sun came out. There was six inches reported but it seemed much deeper in Hanging Valley. At one point I was about to get on the Sheer Bliss lift alone, when some guy with a wicked snowbeard and a brand new pair of Volkl Gotamas rode with me. He is a Stowe season passholder and is visiting his Son who lives in Aspen now. He had never been to Snowmass before (his kid was working that day), and he asked if I could show him the goods. I obliged and proceeded to show him some of my favorite shots into Hanging Valley. As a Stowe local he obviously could deliver and pushed me pretty hard.

Our first run was down the Hanging Valley headwall. We dropped in and saw somebody with their skis crossed in the snow, with a crowd gathered around. I skied down and asked if anybody had a phone. Nobody did, so I called 911, asked for the Snowmass ski patrol, and told them exactly where he was, using my "local" knowledge of the area. I told them he was, "skiers right of West One." The patrol knew exactly what I was talking about. West One is a cliff band that is not on any map. Yeah, local knowledge. By the way, nobody thanked me, but I wasn't looking for any acknowledgment, just that he get some help. My good deed of the day was complete.

Howie (the Stowe local) and I rode up the lift with some guy from Telluride. He is Tom Cruise's neighbor and told us that Tom is a wild and crazy guy in real life. I could have told him that by watching the Oprah, and Scientology stuff. He then proceeded to call Sams Smokehouse (an on mountain BBQ restaurant) and make reservations. I don't think you can make reservations there but he was persistent and acting like a D-Bag to the person on the other end of the phone. I was sitting between Howie and Telluride guy and realized that I would much rather be a soulful person like Howie, than a Douche like Telluride-guy.

Howie and I tracked out Hanging Valley and then I had to call it a day to get back to my secret parking spot on the other side of the mountain. Wow, what a day. I was so tired that I had to wait until today to post the TR. Here is a picture of the area we skied. It looked just like this photo, although I will admit that this is a shot taken when Jeff and Jay were here.

I am now posting up this TR waiting for the rest of my family to arrive in the Roaring Fork Valley. Rumor has it that we are in for a four day storm starting tomorrow.

194393_10150104689827804_715437803_6662944_623380_o.jpg

• Like 1

For those of you still following this thread on page nine, here is a mini TR. Yesterday was quite the day. As soon as Jeff left it started snowing and didn't stop until one p.m. yesterday when the sun came out. There was six inches reported but it seemed much deeper in Hanging Valley. At one point I was about to get on the Sheer Bliss lift alone, when some guy with a wicked snowbeard and a brand new pair of Volkl Gotamas rode with me. He is a Stowe season passholder and is visiting his Son who lives in Aspen now. He had never been to Snowmass before (his kid was working that day), and he asked if I could show him the goods. I obliged and proceeded to show him some of my favorite shots into Hanging Valley. As a Stowe local he obviously could deliver and pushed me pretty hard.

Our first run was down the Hanging Valley headwall. We dropped in and saw somebody with their skis crossed in the snow, with a crowd gathered around. I skied down and asked if anybody had a phone. Nobody did, so I called 911, asked for the Snowmass ski patrol, and told them exactly where he was, using my "local" knowledge of the area. I told them he was, "skiers right of West One." The patrol knew exactly what I was talking about. West One is a cliff band that is not on any map. Yeah, local knowledge. By the way, nobody thanked me, but I wasn't looking for any acknowledgment, just that he get some help. My good deed of the day was complete.

Howie (the Stowe local) and I rode up the lift with some guy from Telluride. He is Tom Cruise's neighbor and told us that Tom is a wild and crazy guy in real life. I could have told him that by watching the Oprah, and Scientology stuff. He then proceeded to call Sams Smokehouse (an on mountain BBQ restaurant) and make reservations. I don't think you can make reservations there but he was persistent and acting like a D-Bag to the person on the other end of the phone. I was sitting between Howie and Telluride guy and realized that I would much rather be a soulful person like Howie, than a Douche like Telluride-guy.

Howie and I tracked out Hanging Valley and then I had to call it a day to get back to my secret parking spot on the other side of the mountain. Wow, what a day. I was so tired that I had to wait until today to post the TR. Here is a picture of the area we skied. It looked just like this photo, although I will admit that this is a shot taken when Jeff and Jay were here.

I am now posting up this TR waiting for the rest of my family to arrive in the Roaring Fork Valley. Rumor has it that we are in for a four day storm starting tomorrow.

194393_10150104689827804_715437803_6662944_623380_o.jpg

This post is pure win and on behalf of the dude who was hurt in hanging valley.....Thank you. That's the least you could have gotten.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20110302/OBITUARIES/110309967&parentprofile=search

Brandon John Zukoff passed away on Feb. 22, 2011 in an avalanche skiing the backcountry of the Snowmass ski area. He was 26.

Brandon was born on Oct. 22, 1984 in Flint, Mich. to William and Cynthia Wright Zukoff. Brandon will be missed by many and life will never be the same without him. He died doing what he loved and has touched many lives. Brandon loved everything outdoors and lived life with passion to the extreme. Everyone's life he touched was better for knowing him.

Rest in peace, you will be missed.

Brandon graduated from Central Michigan in May 2008 and was a resident of Snowmass for four years. Brandon's family would like to thank the Timberline Condos, Aspen Mountain Rescue, Snowmass Ski Patrol, Pitkin County Sheriff's Office, Aspen Skiing Co., and everyone that has helped us through this tragedy.

Brandon is survived by his parents; and brothers William Donald, Brent Michael and Bradely David Zukoff.

He was preceded in death by his grandmother, Barbara Wright; grandfather, Donald Wright and grandfather, John Zukoff Jr.

A memorial service was held Sunday Feb. 27, 2011 in Snowmass with Edgell Pyles officiating.

Family suggests memorial contributions be made to the Snowmass Ski Patrol, Mountain Rescue Aspen or the Aspen Animal Shelter.

The price increase just went into effect. Yikes. I can see the end in sight for me out here and I am getting depressed (no word yet, on whether I can stay longer). I'll be lucky to get 40 total days this year. P.S. I ran my first Nastar race of the year yesterday at Highlands and beat the Pacesetter. I was feeling good until some dude from Australia showed up and laid down a 3 handicap.

The price increase just went into effect. Yikes. I can see the end in sight for me out here and I am getting depressed (no word yet, on whether I can stay longer). I'll be lucky to get 40 total days this year. P.S. I ran my first Nastar race of the year yesterday at Highlands and beat the Pacesetter. I was feeling good until some dude from Australia showed up and laid down a 3 handicap.

See you at Blue :rock

Part 2 of the MSP kicker in action:

193835_10150120726402042_106030702041_6360886_5693047_o.jpg

The wife took a header today on Snowmass and broke her nose. The Snowmass ski patrol was awesome and gave her a toboggan ride to the bottom of Two Creeks where I picked her up and took her to the Aspen Valley Hospital. The waiting room was filled with injured skiers. The worst was some kid who probably took a jump like seen above and hurt both his heels. You could hear him screaming in the ER as they were trying to take his boots off.

Part 2 of the MSP kicker in action:

193835_10150120726402042_106030702041_6360886_5693047_o.jpg

The wife took a header today on Snowmass and broke her nose. The Snowmass ski patrol was awesome and gave her a toboggan ride to the bottom of Two Creeks where I picked her up and took her to the Aspen Valley Hospital. The waiting room was filled with injured skiers. The worst was some kid who probably took a jump like seen above and hurt both his heels. You could hear him screaming in the ER as they were trying to take his boots off.

Holy mother of kickers. Hope everythings okay with your wife.