Aspen Stoke

AtomicSkier

I wonder how many people are still reading this thread on page eleven? Anyway, temperatures have been in the fifties since the last storm on Tuesday in Aspen. I took off yesterday and had every intention of taking off today as well due to the temperatures. When I woke up this morning, Snowmass was in a cloud and there was over an inch at the house. I logged onto aspensnowmass.com to find that six inches had fallen overnight and it was going to snow all day today. I quickly changed my plans and headed up to the slopes. I was pleasantly rewarded. I got kind of a late start due to the time change but even with my late start there were still fresh tracks to be found mid-mountain.

Picture001.jpg

I quickly made my way up the Sheer Bliss lift to find a long line at the Cirque poma lift. I decided to wait out the line by hiking into the Cirque for a warm up run. I decided to finally hit Gowdy's for the first time this year from the top. Gowdy's is the steepest run in the valley at 50 degrees, and it is also a chute between a cliff band. The snow was coming down pretty hard and the visibility was pretty nonexistent. Gee, let's ski a 50 degree pitch in a whiteout, by one's self; that seems like a smart idea. I took a picture but it is really hard to make out the cornice at the top of the run.

Picture008.jpg

Wanna guess how I got into Gowdy's? Yup, hop turns. For the misinformed youths that ski Loveland and the Vail bowls that said there is nothing in Colorado that requires hop turns to get into, try coming out to Snowmass sometime and ski what I ski. Of course maybe you would prefer a Moebius Flip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAF9iTdFfTc

Most of the snow in Gowdy's was black from all the bombs they dropped in there this morning, but once you broke free, the turns were some of the best of the year. I quickly made my way over to Hanging Valley and lapped the Wall until my last run of the day. Because I was by myself, and the Sun wasn't really out, these scenery pictures might not do the place any justice.

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture007.jpg

I finished out my day with a run down the Baby Ruth chutes doing what else? fucking hop turns. I blew by a bunch of snowboarders in the chute who apologized for getting in my way as I did hop turns straight down with Style. They actually hooted and hollered as I ripped down the chute. The snow in the glades after the chutes was up to my knee. I stayed in the expert areas until they closed them at 2:45. I had fifteen minutes to cross the massive Snowmass to get back to my secret parking spot. I didn't make it in time and had to duck the rope to get home. I saw a patroler and dropped a few local names and he said no problem, have a good day.

I was actually getting kind of jaded with all these fifty degree days lately. Today definitely recharged my batteries. How was your day?

• Like 2

Jstyle...you are living the dream :drool . Any word on the work front?

BTW Doug, these pictures are evidence of why there is really no rush on a powder day at Snowmass. Middle of the day and the wall/below the wall is looking noice :bow:

Sadly I spent my off day reviewing deposition testimony, but things could still change.

Most of the core people were forced out of town in the 90s due to the rising costs, and the ones that remain were probably at Highlands today.

After ten inches of powder yesterday, it hit fifty degrees today. It was a good day to stay in the shade on Ajax. As a result I found myself hanging out in some of the many shrines that locals put up. None of these are on the map, but if you look real close, or you know a local, you might be able to find a place to take a break and soak up some of that Rocky Mountain High.

Jerry Garcia Shrine:

189400_10150112006207804_715437803_6732692_3201788_n.jpg?dl=1

198166_10150112006287804_715437803_6732693_6164475_n.jpg?dl=1

189828_10150112006412804_715437803_6732695_3496352_n.jpg?dl=1

While the Jerry Garcia shrine is a nice place to stop in the afternoon, I've always been partial to the John Denver Shrine.

197718_10150112006502804_715437803_6732696_1513524_n.jpg?dl=1

199870_10150112006687804_715437803_6732699_6812344_n.jpg?dl=1

These are linked to FB, so let me know if you can't see the pictures.

• Like 2

Wanna guess how I got into Gowdy's? Yup, hop turns. For the misinformed youths that ski Loveland and the Vail bowls that said there is nothing in Colorado that requires hop turns to get into, try coming out to Snowmass sometime and ski what I ski. Of course maybe you would prefer a Moebius Flip?

I have been to Snowmass quite a few times and have skied gowdys many times (as well as AMF and whatever that other chute near there is). It certainly does not require hop turns (not that you can't do them if you want to). I never said nothing in colorado requires hop turns, but I have skied quite a few places in colorado (all the main ski areas at least) and the only two places where I have ever found myself in a tight spot that I needed hop turns to safely ski out have been at Crested Butte and Silverton. I am just speaking from my experiences.

I have been to Snowmass quite a few times and have skied gowdys many times (as well as AMF and whatever that other chute near there is). It certainly does not require hop turns (not that you can't do them if you want to). I never said nothing in colorado requires hop turns, but I have skied quite a few places in colorado (all the main ski areas at least) and the only two places where I have ever found myself in a tight spot that I needed hop turns to safely ski out have been at Crested Butte and Silverton. I am just speaking from my experiences.

Keep in mind...JohnnyStyle is Mr. Hop turn. His hop turns are amazing and he loves to do them. No joke. He did a hop turn on the steepest part of the elevator on pure ice, and stuck the landing without even sliding an inch. Everyone else tried to, but couldn't hold it. Watching him pick his way between two rock bands on Hang on Halvins is fun to watch :bow:

• Like 1

Some really unwarranted shit talking and brown nosing in here.

When I am referred to as a "misinformed youth" who "ski's loveland and the vail bowls", I feel like I have a right to respond, especially since I have skied the run which has been used as an example to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

When I am referred to as a "misinformed youth" who "ski's loveland and the vail bowls", I feel like I have a right to respond, especially since I have skied the run which has been used as an example to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

In a round about way that's part of what I was saying. I wasn't saying you were talking shit at all Jordan.

It has been warm since the last storm and I spent the day on Aspen Highlands. The views into Maroon Creek are outrageous. Ignore the ugly dude in the front, as the real beauty in this shot lies in the two 14k' peaks (Pyramid and the Maroon Bells) beyond. This is the Western side of Highlands in the Olympic (Oly) Bowl. Rumor has it that there will be more snow falling tonight and tomorrow. I don't want to jinx it, but tomorrow is looking like a good day.

193149_10150113737717804_715437803_6747158_8021725_o.jpg

A 73 year old from Allentown died in a collision at Snowmass.

I had dinner with my neighbor who is the director of the Snowmass ski patrol, and he is also the coroner. He was telling me all about it. There were some other deaths in the valley this week as well. The more interesting story is a snowboarder who slammed into a little girl and hurt her pretty bad. Her family videotaped the whole thing. The family then proceeded to assault the snowboarder after he hit the girl. He is now trying to press charges before the family goes back to Brazil. Crazy.

She's home now. I am in the "No Names" which is a little higher than "Deception" and "Aerobie" but still the same area. The bumps were nice and soft today. It hit the 70s downvalley today. The temps are dropping and the wind is picking up now. I'm praying for snow tonight.

lol 70 one today, snow the next. JADIP.