Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

38 minutes ago, saltyant said:

American Airlines says the bag can only be up to 45 inches. This bag is 47.5. Are they going to charge me $100+ extra or some BS if it's not exactly 45 inches? I didn't buy it yet.

That’s not for a carryon bag that’s for regular checked baggage...like a full sized suitcase. Ski bags can be longer. My ski bag is 200cm which is 78 inches 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Salty your reading comprehension or communication sucks.  It’s 45 linear inches allowed for carryon on American Airlines.  22x14x9..that rollerboard picture you sent me where your ski boots fit in would be just fine..you could squeeze a lot of clothes in that as well but I wouldn’t expect to fit a helmet in there.  

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty your reading comprehension or communication sucks.  It’s 45 linear inches allowed for carryon on American Airlines.  22x14x9..that rollerboard picture you sent me where your ski boots fit in would be just fine..you could squeeze a lot of clothes in that as well but I wouldn’t expect to fit a helmet in there.  

American's policy states: "Your boot bag can be up to 45 inches (length + width + height) and must contain only boots/bindings, helmet and life preserver. If you put anything else in your boot bag, you’ll have to pay an excess bag fee. You may be asked to open your bag at the airport."

Sorry to the weather thread for threadjacking. I'll make a trip thread eventually.

Edited by saltyant

Just now, saltyant said:

American's policy states: "Your boot bag can be up to 45 inches (length + width + height) and must contain only boots/bindings, helmet and life preserver. If you put anything else in your boot bag, you’ll have to pay an excess bag fee. You may be asked to open your bag at the airport.

Sorry to the weather thread for threadjacking. I'll make a trip thread eventually.

That bag you showed is too large...if your checked luggage doesn’t arrive would you prefer to be without skis and poles or without skis poles and boots??  

Just now, saltyant said:

I'm considering carry-on suitcase with boots & clothes, and then rent skis & poles at a shop like Ski2Live said. This is because Frontier charges you to check a bag AND to bring a bag on board. I don't mind renting skis but I want my own boots.

You’ll spend less on checking a ski bag than on renting skis and you’ll have the skis you like and are comfortable with.  What’s the point of spending $600 on a pair of top of the line skis if you can’t ski them at the best place you’ve ever skied.  If you were a pair of skis would you want to be left in Pennsylvania while your owner goes to Colorado...and cheats on you with some skis that were passed around like a doobie at a Phish concert????  This isn’t like my 2nd favorite Avril Lavigne song..it’s simple.  First checked bag is $30 second is $40 on AA..with one pair of skis in a double ski bag you could get by with just the ski bag with skis and most of your stuff and a carryon with boots and whatever else fits in carryon. When I go on ski trips I take ski bag suitcase and carryon. I haven’t paid for baggage in years..I get free baggage because Atomic Jeff books my ticket so I’m considered his companion...no homo and take southwest to CO which offers free baggage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You’ll spend less on checking a ski bag than on renting skis and you’ll have the skis you like and are comfortable with.  What’s the point of spending $600 on a pair of top of the line skis if you can’t ski them at the best place you’ve ever skied.  If you were a pair of skis would you want to be left in Pennsylvania while your owner goes to Colorado...and cheats on you with some skis that were passed around like a doobie at a Phish concert????  This isn’t like my 2nd favorite Avril Lavigne song..it’s simple.  First checked bag is $30 second is $40 on AA..with one pair of skis in a double ski bag you could get by with just the ski bag with skis and most of your stuff and a carryon with boots and whatever else fits in carryon. When I go on ski trips I take ski bag suitcase and carryon. I haven’t paid for baggage in years..I get free baggage because Atomic Jeff books my ticket so I’m considered his companion...no homo and take southwest to CO which offers free baggage. 

Thanks!!! I change my mind every 30 seconds during this intense planning. Some of those seconds I just say fudge this, I'm not going. But I think I'll still go. I'll start a thread so the weather junkies can get back to weather discussions.

How 'bout these temps???

8 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I'm considering carry-on suitcase with boots & clothes, and then rent skis & poles at a shop like Ski2Live said. This is because Frontier charges you to check a bag AND to bring a bag on board. I don't mind renting skis but I want my own boots.

I thought you were flying American. 

Just now, saltyant said:

Thanks!!! I change my mind every 30 seconds during this intense planning. Some of those seconds I just say fudge this, I'm not going. But I think I'll still go. I'll start a thread so the weather junkies can get back to weather discussions.

How 'bout these temps???

You’re welcome. I get a little bit of empathy towards my parents in what it was like for them to deal with a stubborn kid whenever I try to help you.  It’s ok I’m not giving up.  Not until I see you and Matt Edge do powder 8’s in Ver-beer

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

the $117 flight wasn't coming up and it went up to $600 but now it's back as an option so I think I'ma book it really quick. Before it goes away again.

I like how the airlines create urgency by constantly switching prices around.  I had a customer come in Monday and she liked a monument we have outside...she asked if I’d reserve it for her while she discusses with relatives and I said sure but only for a week and she’s coming in Friday to buy it.  Maybe I should be like the airlines and jack the price up $300 lol

4F434FA2-2313-4AC9-AC11-068D98C4637C.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, saltyant said:

the $117 flight wasn't coming up and it went up to $600 but now it's back as an option so I think I'ma book it really quick. Before it goes away again.

American let's you hold the flight locking in the price for 24 hours, I think. It's how they get around not having to give you free cancellation within 24 hours of booking

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You flew to Boston enroute to Sunday river???  I guess accounting for 55 cents a mile wear and tear on your car you actually saved money. Just the thought of getting on a plane for an eastern ski trip is weird and I flew to Burlington Vt when I was in college and didn’t have a car a few times. 

Was flown round trip to Boston for work function. Friend with place at Sunday River picked me up for 3 days skiing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzslope said:

Do you use a hard case or a soft case for your skis when you fly?

The only person I know that uses a hard case is Nastar Glenn.  They weigh a lot and the metal pin used to close it is super complicated for the baggage scanners. 

Something like this is ideal. And I worries about damaged skis. 

03D52EAF-FF4C-499B-A6A5-F5C8148DC639.png