Pocono Record article about death of ski patroller Brian Lock

C1erArt

That is truly a shame. I noticed the article stated that he was wearing a helmet. In my opinion helmets for the most part are a false sense of security and I have been telling this to people for years. I think helmets work well for slide or skid type of falls and prevent scratching or cutting your head but they are for the most part useless when it comes to impact type crashes, such as hitting a tree. Please keep in mind just because you wear a helmet does not mean you are fully protected.

That is truly a shame. I noticed the article stated that he was wearing a helmet. In my opinion helmets for the most part are a false sense of security and I have been telling this to people for years. I think helmets work well for slide or skid type of falls and prevent scratching or cutting your head but they are for the most part useless when it comes to impact type crashes, such as hitting a tree. Please keep in mind just because you wear a helmet does not mean you are fully protected.

I agree/disagree with that, helmets do protect you alot, yes people think.they are invincible with a helmet but think of.how many concussions a helmet prevents. Plus had.this ski patroller not been wearing a helmet he could have died.on impact. Although they do bring a false sense of security thehre not 100% safe.

sorry but this is ridiculous. As someone who has been protected from concussions more than once from wearing a helmet...PLEASE DISREGARD THIS PERSON'S POST!

• Like 3

sorry but this is ridiculous. As someone who has been protected from concussions more than once from wearing a helmet...PLEASE DISREGARD THIS PERSON'S POST!

Well there you have it. The subject matter expert has spoken. I was really confused until you cleared everything up for me. Thank you so much. I guess we can all go home now. Saying ignorant things such as

• Like 1

you did a google search and picked out 2 articles against helmet usage when there are hundreds that disagree with your statements. get real, you are an idiot. the purpose of a helmet is to transfer energy from a collision to padding and the shell where it is dissipated, kind of like a bumper in a car is designed to crush to dissipate energy from a crash. Its not rocket science to understand that less of that energy going directly into your skull will reduce head injuries, including concussions. Do a test for me....slam your head into a brick wall, then push your head into the wall at a much slower rate of speed...see which one causes the concussion. Helmets are designed to slow down the impact and transfer some of the kinetic energy into friction. Obviously they cannot protect you from every possible head injury but most studies on them agree that they substantially reduce injury rates.

o0o0o0 look i can search google too

http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html

In part:

One of the most common criticisms of ski and snowboard helmets is that they supposedly only protect the wearer from impacts occurring while skiing in the range of 11 to 14 mph (17.7 to 22.5 km/h), while studies have shown that skiers typically average around 27 mph (43.5 km/h). This conclusion is derived from the specified impact velocities in the CE, ASTM and Snell tests. It is often used as part of a highly misleading argument against the efficacy of current ski helmets. In a word, it's a myth.

Under the ASTM and Snell standards, ski helmets are tested in 2 meter drops that achieve about 14 miles per hour (22.5 km/h) at impact, onto a flat anvil. Motorcycle helmets are routinely tested using 3 meter drops which acheive about 17 mph (27.36 km/h), yet it is widely accepted that motorcycle helmets have proven to provide substantial protection against brain injury at much higher speeds. It should be noted that the differential between motorcycle helmet drop rig test speeds and the average speed of motorcycle riders is far higher than the differential between the ski helmet test speeds, and average skier speeds. And yet no one seriously questions the efficacy of motorcycle helmets, there is simply too much data proving their effectiveness.

sad to hear about this accident

as riveting as yet another internet forum helmet debate can be :yawn i think you guys should take your threadjack elsewhere out of respect for this guy

I think it is important to clear up misinformation on the helmet issue. People could take this guy's advice and lives can be affected. That would be more of a dis-service to Brian's memory than anything else.

Jordan

• Like 3

I think it is important to clear up misinformation on the helmet issue. People could take this guy's advice and lives can be affected. That would be more of a dis-service to Brian's memory than anything else.

Jordan

As someone that has thoroughly "tested" both motorcycle and snowboard helmets in the past, I can attest that they do indeed, work quite effectively. I would most probably have been dead in both cases without a helmet, I dont fall (or fall off in the bike case) so often but when I do it seems to be a big one.

Sad news about the ski patroller, at least he went out doing what he loved.

“get real, you are an idiot”??? Sure why don’t we get real. I’ll be the idiot in this debate since you seem to be the genius and self proclaimed subject matter expert here with all your wonderful facts that you have presented. Oh, that’s right you didn’t present any other than regurgitate what you’ve already read. If you actually read the articles that I provided you will see that they do not suggest anyone not wear a helmet. They simply reinforce what I am stating here and that is that helmets will only give you a LIMITED amount of protection. You got that genius? LIMITED PROTECTION. Meaning that if you impact with an immobile object with your head with a certain amount of force you will most likely suffer some type of head injury most likely a concussion. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? It’s such a simple concept. When your head is moving at a high rate of speed and comes to an abrupt stop your brain continues to stay in motion until it makes impact with your skull! Can I make it anymore simple than that??? I still have my doubts that you will understand this concept.

Thank you for your wonderful explanation of what a helmet is designed to do. You know what? I AGREE with you. That is what a helmet is designed to do; otherwise what the hell is the point of wearing one? What you seem to NOT understand or NOT want to believe for your own selfish reasons is that what the helmet is designed to do only works in very few limited circumstances. As I said before and I’ll say it again, helmets work well to protect your head from topical injuries such as scratches, abrasions or skull fractures. Helmets have a very limited function when it comes to protecting your brain from impacting with your skull. You can give me all of the theories that you want but you will not dissuade me from believing simple physics and what I have seen with my own eyes. When I was younger I played ice hockey and football. Both of those sports require all the athletes to wear helmets. Despite wearing helmets I still saw people getting concussions. Are you going to tell me that I was hallucinating and that I only imagined what I saw?

As a matter fact I spoke to a good friend of mine today who is an ICU nurse. He has seen patients come into the hospital for just about anything you can imagine. So I asked him based on his own experience how many patients has he seen who came into the hospital with concussions who were actually wearing a helmet during the time of their accident. He said he lost count and that in his expert opinion he believed helmets did very little or next to nothing to help prevent concussions. If you don’t believe me then go do your own research and walk into any emergency room and ask them how many patients they have seen who suffered concussions who were wearing helmets at the time of their accident. Maybe you will believe medical experts since you don’t believe me.

I don't really think your post even warrants a response, but I'll respond anyway. You admit that it requires a certain magnitude of deceleration of your head to cause various head injuries, including concussions, correct? (you seem to admit this) That amount of deceleration is somewhere on the order of 300 G's according to the various organizations responsible for testing helmets. You also admit that helmets work to dissipate energy and reduce the deceleration of your head during an impact. However, you can't seem to connect these two facts that you will readily admit are true to the only logical conclusion. I think you should take a step back from the "simple physics" as you put it; that you clearly don't seem to understand, and invest your time in a deductive reasoning class instead.

Your class may also help you understand your flawed logic paraphrased below:

"My friend who is a nurse tells that people have gotten concussions while wearing helmets;

therefore helmets are essentially useless in preventing concussions"

And by the way, nobody cares about your stupid transcript. If you had half a brain you would keep your personal information private. While you’re at it why don’t you post your social security number and your credit card numbers online too? Genius.

Have fun trying to steal my identity with an unofficial transcript from my school with no sensitive information on it. Let me know how that works out for you!

Edited by jordan