Is Your Season Over?

Ride Delaware ?

They always close Hellroaring Basin (which has the "best" skiing, but the worst lift) on March 31, at least since I've been here. And, I think it makes sense that the "back" side close as well, the habitat is similar. But...the front? We're allowed to hike for two more weeks after closing, does that sound like they are worried about bears? No, the real reason is they've told the employees since last year that a certain day is the last day. Many of the employees DO have other jobs lined up and there's a handful of South Americans who have already left. So, while I believe that if they polled their employees and did some shuffling of jobs that they could run Chair 1, it might be tough to keep open the restaurants and stuff. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM, THOUGH, IS THAT IN SPITE OF OUR PHENOMENAL CONDITIONS, THE PLACE IS EMPTY. On Monday and Wednesday, for instance, I heard that the total number of people was in the mid-400's, which includes people like me who have season passes. Unless all the tourons are getting shitfaced in the bar, you can't keep paying the salaries of all the employees. Yesterday was busier, but you'd still ski right on the chair at any of the lifts. I'm guessing there might have been 700 people yesterday. And, who is showing up for ONE day midweek? You got it, locals, aka season passholders. It makes for longlasting terrific conditions, of course, but it bugs me because I want them to make enough money to stay open longer!

More pics from today:

East Rim Face in the AM, leaving my "signature":

215511_10150157180317488_691667487_6551980_5128229_n.jpg

Langley trees in the AM, too bad the sparkles in the snow didn't show up:

215168_10150157183607488_691667487_6551997_1504395_n.jpg

East Rim Face around lunch time, still NICE stuff:

207729_10150157187722488_691667487_6552016_2447587_n.jpg

The nose at East Rim, friends coming down. The zoom takes away some of the sense of height and steepness. I came down this with Siblet a couple days ago, more to the right in the pic, beyond that rock. I now find out it's a double black, which I have a rule against!!! No wonder I was so freaked.

215498_10150157198767488_691667487_6552042_937933_n.jpg

PASR trip....Jackson Hole..WY..2012...stayed tuned for details....

Oh lord I can already imagine the stories from that one. I don't think all will make it back to PA.

As for the season I think I may be done unfortunately unless Nightrider has rrom in the car for the trip to Mount Snow this weekend lol or I can convince the wife that a trip to Sugarloaf the week of April 17th makes sense. It does right......

Edited by vinnyv11

Oh lord I can already imagine the stories from that one. I don't think all will make it back to PA.

As for the season I think I may be done unfortunately unless Nightrider has room in the car for the trip to Mount Snow this weekend lol or I can convince the wife that a trip to Sugarloaf the week of April 17th makes sense. It does right......

Yes it makes sense. Set the ski trip precedent in your relationship right away and if she gives you crap about it, just go anyway with out her. Just don't do anything stupid on the 1st trip (injury, arrest, blow up the car) and you'll be golden forever. Separate mini-vacations are good thing.

More pics from today:

East Rim Face in the AM, leaving my "signature":

215511_10150157180317488_691667487_6551980_5128229_n.jpg

i hope you entered that one in glenn's photo contest. seriously one of the coolest looking shots i've seen in a while. and i'm really jealous that you're skiing that and i'm skiing big boulder this weekend.

• Like 1

i hope you entered that one in glenn's photo contest. seriously one of the coolest looking shots i've seen in a while. and i'm really jealous that you're skiing that and i'm skiing big boulder this weekend.

Unfortunately, to him that is "scenery", therefore not eligible.

Unfortunately, to him that is "scenery", therefore not eligible.

Meh, it's got tracks. I'll allow it.

Edit: By tracks I mean in a individual and unique sense, not a tracked out or indistinct sense.

Edited by Glenn

If Belleayre, Plattekill or Hunter is open on 4/16 I might get one more day in if there's sun in the forecast.

I'd done.

Every place in the Catskills closed up yesterday. Closest options are Killington, Okemo, or Whiteface all about 5 hours away.

Judging by the HUGE base and still occaisional fresh snow, I'm guessing we have many weeks left here in the "far left". Conditions this weekend were perfect spring weather and snow, from the best groomers first thing in the morning

post-109-0-59091400-1302536507_thumb.jpg

To soft spring conditions in the afternoon, here is my son having a harder time with this than his sister or I (on boards)

post-109-0-49626600-1302536506_thumb.jpg

This was honestly one of the surprisingly best days, not hot enough to destroy the snow but sunny and no wind, great surface conditions (4-9 inches of fresh 2 days ago and cold since), we rode from first to last lifts and came home completely exhausted but very happy.

• Like 2

Got 11 inches two days ago yesterday was sunny and beautiful

got to test 195 super 7 from rossi sick sick ski

i haven't skied on them, but i tried out the s7, and flexed the super 7 in a shop. i'm on 179 obsetheds for my all mountain ski now, and the 195 super 7s really didn't seem that much longer, but do they actually ski a lot stiffer than the s7?

Squaw announced that they are open until the end of May. We are there this weekend and at least two weekends in May but already have non-riding stuff planned for the other weekends! K-wood will prob be open on July 4 and we plan to hit that, they were last year and we've got at least 100" more.

i haven't skied on them, but i tried out the s7, and flexed the super 7 in a shop. i'm on 179 obsetheds for my all mountain ski now, and the 195 super 7s really didn't seem that much longer, but do they actually ski a lot stiffer than the s7?

They aren't much stiffer but enough that you notice

Johnny law where are skiing in Colorado and Cali?

I'm at beaver/vail right now hanging out and testing next years boards. Will hit aspen friday then abasin sat then dia to reno.

Got to test rossi,nordica, head and blizzard. Dynastar and volkl tomorow.

• Like 2

They aren't much stiffer but enough that you notice

I'm at beaver/vail right now hanging out and testing next years boards. Will hit aspen friday then abasin sat then dia to reno.

Got to test rossi,nordica, head and blizzard. Dynastar and volkl tomorow.

What Volkls? Test some pow boards for me...sickbird :wiggle

What Volkls? Test some pow boards for me...sickbird :wiggle

Got to try the bridge which is shit no metal too soft. Mantra is about the same too narrow.

Next years goat is amazing like always, stiff crazy stable and easy to turn. Graphic is a simpler black and gold pattern that I really like though graphics are like a persons choice in music.

Got to try the bridge which is shit no metal too soft. Mantra is about the same too narrow.

Next years goat is amazing like always, stiff crazy stable and easy to turn. Graphic is a simpler black and gold pattern that I really like though graphics are like a persons choice in music.

There is a thread in the gear forum you may want to look at :nana