Is Your Season Over?

Ride Delaware ?

honestly, i'd hit mount snow over hunter at this point. i was at hunter a few weeks ago and the amount of terrain that was open seemed pretty limited to me, and a lot of the more difficult trails are all essentially the same. mount snow is really not much longer of a drive at all either. it can be done from the valley in about 4 hours pretty easily.

Really? 4hrs? I was looking on google Maps from my house in West End Allentown it said like 5 1/2. At that point which is the better MT Magic, Stratton, or Mount Snow.. They all were about 5 1/2 hrs on google maps...

Edited by Night Rider

let me get this straight..Jive turkey says colorado now sucks because of something regarding gaper day? you are a weirdo man. Summit country is not whack, its just the people who think like you that are whack.

Out here there is still 2 months left in lift served (1 month at Loveland). I am probably going to be skiing less and less in bounds as spring goes on (its almost peak bagging season), but my ski season is far from over. I'll be skiing regularly (~2 times a week) until june, then maybe a little less after that as mtn biking and rafting takes over. There is so much snow right now that plenty of terrain will probably stay pretty good until at least mid to late june.

Really? 4hrs? I was looking on google Maps from my house in West End Allentown it said like 5 1/2. At that point which is the better MT Magic, Stratton, or Mount Snow.. They all were about 5 1/2 hrs on google maps...

mt snow can be done in just under 5 - maybe 4.5 in the middle of the night - but i usally figure 5. i like ms over stratton, never been to magic

let me get this straight..Jive turkey says colorado now sucks because of something regarding gaper day? you are a weirdo man. Summit country is not whack, its just the people who think like you that are whack.

Out here there is still 2 months left in lift served (1 month at Loveland). I am probably going to be skiing less and less in bounds as spring goes on (its almost peak bagging season), but my ski season is far from over. I'll be skiing regularly (~2 times a week) until june, then maybe a little less after that as mtn biking and rafting takes over. There is so much snow right now that plenty of terrain will probably stay pretty good until at least mid to late june.

You raft?

Our area closes this weekend, i can't believe it, there is over 12 feet of snow at the summit and 6 feet at the base. Today was just about the best ski day YET, deep powder everywhere and just unbelievable on every run. But....it's "grizzly habitat" and supposedly they MUST close because of their agreement with the Forest Service. Driving me NUTS!!!

Our area closes this weekend, i can't believe it, there is over 12 feet of snow at the summit and 6 feet at the base. Today was just about the best ski day YET, deep powder everywhere and just unbelievable on every run. But....it's "grizzly habitat" and supposedly they MUST close because of their agreement with the Forest Service. Driving me NUTS!!!

A friend took a trip to Whitefish last weekend and said he saw a grizz from the lift. Not sure if he knows what to look for but at any rate they saw a bear.

Thanks, maybe I will push it a little bit and head to VT after all.

I'd pick Mt. Snow. I like it better than Stratton. I like Magic the best but they have limited snowmaking and the base is getting thin.

The latest I have skied is April 8th at Stratton 2007. 4" of fresh snow that day with mid winter conditions on Easter Sunday, their last day of the season.

April 4th also Easter Sunday last year at Snowbird, a powder day.

Hope to set a new "latest date" this year at Alta or Snowbird on April 24th, also Easter Sunday.

little bit. Hoping to really get into it this summer. I have a good friend who is a guide on clear creek, and she said we can go pretty much whenever I want.

Oh cool. Clear creek is pretty much the junkiest rafting destination in CO. Definitely talk your lady friend into trips to the Ark, Cache la Poudre, or Gore Canyon if you trust her with your life.

I'd pick Mt. Snow. I like it better than Stratton. I like Magic the best but they have limited snowmaking and the base is getting thin.

The latest I have skied is April 8th at Stratton 2007. 4" of fresh snow that day with mid winter conditions on Easter Sunday, their last day of the season.

April 4th also Easter Sunday last year at Snowbird, a powder day.

Hope to set a new "latest date" this year at Alta or Snowbird on April 24th, also Easter Sunday.

Yea, sounds like everyone here likes Mt Snow. Appreciate the the info. I hope you make it out to Snowbird...My brother lives in SLC and he is having a baby first week in May so most likely when I go out to see the baby I will get at least one more day in there.

Yea, sounds like everyone here likes Mt Snow. Appreciate the the info. I hope you make it out to Snowbird...My brother lives in SLC and he is having a baby first week in May so most likely when I go out to see the baby I will get at least one more day in there.

Snowbird is saying they are open until Memorial Day so you should get a day out there. All the others will be closed by May even with a 200" base.

But....it's "grizzly habitat" and supposedly they MUST close because of their agreement with the Forest Service. Driving me NUTS!!!

If you lease from the NFS you close when they say. Jackson closed yesterday because they lease and the NFS says here come the elk and all that shit so no more lifts.

It kinda sucks but it is their land....jealous of Jordan wish we had 3 more months here.

If you lease from the NFS you close when they say. Jackson closed yesterday because they lease and the NFS says here come the elk and all that shit so no more lifts.

It kinda sucks but it is their land....jealous of Jordan wish we had 3 more months here.

The NFS lease thing is mostly made up

some resorts use it as an excuse to take the blame off of them for closing early, but mostly its just a rumor made up by people who don't know anything about how ski areas operate. Resorts in the west close for the same reason resorts in the east close: people just aren't interested in skiing later in the spring. Ski resorts must either operate at a loss for the die-hards or just close.

For example: I have heard in the past that vail needs to close by the 2nd week in April every year because of elk breeding. It is interesting to me how the elk are willing to wait an extra 2 weeks this year to start breeding (Vail closes on Easter Sunday this year...April 24th). Obviously, the reason for the late closing has nothing to do with Vail trying to cash in on another holiday weekend right? I guess the elk are just giving up sex for lent or something.

from the JH facebook:

It is not the Forest Service that limits the length of our season. Each year JHMR submits a operational plan to the Forest Service. We pick the opening and closing dates not the Forest Service. It is possible to amend the annual plan and

some resorts use it as an excuse to take the blame off of them for closing early, but mostly its just a rumor made up by people who don't know anything about how ski areas operate. Resorts in the west close for the same reason resorts in the east close: people just aren't interested in skiing later in the spring. Ski resorts must either operate at a loss for the die-hards or just close.

For example: I have heard in the past that vail needs to close by the 2nd week in April every year because of elk breeding. It is interesting to me how the elk are willing to wait an extra 2 weeks this year to start breeding (Vail closes on Easter Sunday this year...April 24th). Obviously, the reason for the late closing has nothing to do with Vail trying to cash in on another holiday weekend right? I guess the elk are just giving up sex for lent or something.

from the JH facebook:

No shit, thanks man that is some eye opening shit about JH. I knew alot of them made it up but I always thought JH was for sure due to their lease restrictions.

You learn knew shit everyday.

As an aside a splice of the tram cable must be a pretty interesting job....

The elk migratory paths are not set in stone. I'm positive the NFS at least takes into account the movement of elk before issuing extensions. If this wasn't an issue at all, then why wouldn't A-bay and Loveland apply for longer term permits.

I agree, most resorts close because they aren't making money. Nearly every resort has the opportunity to apply for extensions, and virtually no one does. To say that the NFS has not considered the welfare of the forest and it's wildlife is a bit of a stretch though. Whitefish in particular has large grizzly populations and they are getting the point where they are coming out of hibernation and they are hungry and irritable. Grizzlies are the real deal. Whitefish apparently closed down their best terrain recently because of grizzly habitat. It says so on the map when it will be closing.

All that said, the NFS is a messed up organization. Without the lengthy details, if you have enough money you can have your way with the rules.

why wouldn't A-bay and Loveland apply for longer term permits.

They do have longer term permits. The past few years, the closing dates have been announced at the beginning of the season for both ski areas. They don't have a permit until mid april, then apply for an extension.

If you are asking why they don't close later....Loveland doesn't have the business (i bet the operate at a loss the last couple of weeks), and at A-Bay..the terrain that they can safely open is severely limited by early June (they are scared to death of wet slides, and are very conservative in this regard)

also, notice how I said "mostly" made up. I bet the whitefish thing is the real deal especially if it has anything to do with public safety, but I honestly doubt the FS lets elk dictate ski area permitting extensions.

besides...elk aren't even phased by people...ever been to estes?

Edited by jordan

They do have longer term permits. The past few years, the closing dates have been announced at the beginning of the season for both ski areas. They don't have a permit until mid april, then apply for an extension.

Oh well this is a change from at least my first year in CO

If you are asking why they don't close later....Loveland doesn't have the business (i bet the operate at a loss the last couple of weeks), and at A-Bay..the terrain that they can safely open is severely limited by early June (they are scared to death of wet slides, and are very conservative in this regard)

Nope I get that

also, notice how I said "mostly" made up. I bet the whitefish thing is the real deal especially if it has anything to do with public safety, but I honestly doubt the FS lets elk dictate ski area permitting extensions.

besides...elk aren't even phased by people...ever been to estes?

Have you ever been on any run besides the slowest traverses where any moderately sized wildlife jumps on to the trail? It's terrifying and 100% more dangerous than gapers. Now imagine a full herd of elk. Not being phased by people is a bad thing for us and for the animal for nearly all species.