2011-2012 season...

burton71

Didn't they have 3-4 good nights of snowmaking?? Would make sense to concentrate efforts on a few runs instead of thin cover over everything.

Yeah they did. It's bullshit. I was just there to check things out. They have thin coverage over every trail when they could have a decent base over a couple trails, open with that, then go from there.

“At 27 degrees humidity is irrelevant (and for three days at BC the temp fell below that).”

AT 27 DEGREES ANY HUMIDITY LEVEL ABOVE 25% REFLECTS POOR SNOWMAKING.

“Whats happening is a simple law of physics. You have all the guns on, the pressure through those guns is going to be less than just a few blowing.”

NOT AN ISSUE.

“Yeah they did. It's bullshit. I was just there to check things out. They have thin coverage over every trail when they could have a decent base over a couple trails, open with that, then go from there.”

I’D SAY 95% OF THE FAN GUNS ARE NOT MOVABLE, SO THEY CAN”T JUST MOVE ALL THERE FAN GUNS TO ONE OR TWO TRAILS AND POUND THEM.

It's ridiculous they're blowing over the entire mountain. This BS excuse about "high humidity" is ridiculous. At 27 degrees humidity is irrelevant (and for three days at BC the temp fell below that). Whats happening is a simple law of physics. You have all the guns on, the pressure through those guns is going to be less than just a few blowing. Pressure is finite. Now the forecast is not looking good for the weekend with marginal temps. Good luck BC, you need it..

Looks like someone already ripped apart your flawed logic, but snowmaking in pa above 28 is a rarity. Humidity is a factor until at least 20 or so. Also, I'm not super familiar with the finer points of bears snowmaking system, but they might have several pumps/compressors so blowing one side of the mtn may have no effect on blowing elsewhere.

• Like 1

“At 27 degrees humidity is irrelevant (and for three days at BC the temp fell below that).”

AT 27 DEGREES ANY HUMIDITY LEVEL ABOVE 25% REFLECTS POOR SNOWMAKING.

“Whats happening is a simple law of physics. You have all the guns on, the pressure through those guns is going to be less than just a few blowing.”

NOT AN ISSUE.

“Yeah they did. It's bullshit. I was just there to check things out. They have thin coverage over every trail when they could have a decent base over a couple trails, open with that, then go from there.”

I’D SAY 95% OF THE FAN GUNS ARE NOT MOVABLE, SO THEY CAN”T JUST MOVE ALL THERE FAN GUNS TO ONE OR TWO TRAILS AND POUND THEM.

i wasnt saying to move fan guns to certain trails. obviously the pole mounted fan guns dont move. but they can certainly control what guns are on and which ones arent. do what boulder, blue, and everyone else are doing. focus on a couple trails. get those open, then blast the shit out of everything every chance you get. dont drag your feet.

• Like 1

Allow me to educate, as an accomplished snow maker myself... Humidity at or below 27 degrees is much less an issue than closer to 32 degrees. Even at 70% RH and 27 degrees, snow can easily be put down, and remember, early season blowing is not being made entirely for perfect ski conditions, but rather for getting down a firm base that will freeze hard and provide a longer lasting surface during mid-winter warm-ups. Yes, water temps are important here and if the temps were a bit warm, they hopefully were aerating the pinds to drop the temps. Bear creeks guns are very intelligent and can fine tune pressures and air speed (among other factors) while the addition of Snomax extends the range at which good snow can be produced. The bottom line is Bear opened up last year, 100%, though VERY thin cover, within 60 hours . If they are trying to accomplish that this year, they goofed again. Like someone said, better to open half way and with good base than to open 100% and ride on near-dirt.

Poor snowmaking at 25% at 27 degrees? Absolute bullshit.

Allow me to educate, as an accomplished snow maker myself... Humidity at or below 27 degrees is much less an issue than closer to 32 degrees. Even at 70% RH and 27 degrees, snow can easily be put down, and remember, early season blowing is not being made entirely for perfect ski conditions, but rather for getting down a firm base that will freeze hard and provide a longer lasting surface during mid-winter warm-ups. Yes, water temps are important here and if the temps were a bit warm, they hopefully were aerating the pinds to drop the temps. Bear creeks guns are very intelligent and can fine tune pressures and air speed (among other factors) while the addition of Snomax extends the range at which good snow can be produced. The bottom line is Bear opened up last year, 100%, though VERY thin cover, within 60 hours . If they are trying to accomplish that this year, they goofed again. Like someone said, better to open half way and with good base than to open 100% and ride on near-dirt.

Yes, and year after year bear creek proves they don't get this. Over the past three seasons I'd argue theyve gotten worse at it, while resorts that used to suck (ahem blue) have improved dramatically. With talk of a full on resort at blue mountain, bear creek needs to stay on its A-game...

• Like 1

Poor snowmaking at 25% at 27 degrees? Absolute bullshit.

Yes, and year after year bear creek proves they don't get this. Over the past three seasons I'd argue theyve gotten worse at it, while resorts that used to suck (ahem blue) have improved dramatically. With talk of a full on resort at blue mountain, bear creek needs to stay on its A-game...

Well, it's no secret there has been a major cleaning out in the offices and elsewhere recently and some of the smarter people were left go. The manager (with a degree in zoology i might add) seems to not be steering the boat in the right direction at times but his inner staff of managers is affraid to go against his grain. It's getting to be a soft dictatorship there. Good luck to 'em, with all that $$$ behind them though, they don't necessarily wince at a bad opening or early closing.

BC isn't big enough to only open with 1 or 2 trails. They have done it in the past and it was horrible and dangerous.

The weather for them just hasn't coperated and it will probably be another week or so before they can open. Oh well, plenty of other places are open already or opening this weekend.

Edited by burton71
  • Like 1

I don't know what any of you guys are talking about, there has been pre-Christmas (and generally closer to Thanksgiving) riding in PA for the past like 5 years at least. Bear not opening until Christmas (or especially later) would be very detrimental to them, that's prime money-making time. The fact that Boulder opened last weekend, and apparently everywhere else is opening this weekend, with no word from Bear, isn't good. But hopefully they surprise everyone and have something up.

• Like 1

I don't know what any of you guys are talking about, there has been pre-Christmas (and generally closer to Thanksgiving) riding in PA for the past like 5 years at least. Bear not opening until Christmas (or especially later) would be very detrimental to them, that's prime money-making time. The fact that Boulder opened last weekend, and apparently everywhere else is opening this weekend, with no word from Bear, isn't good. But hopefully they surprise everyone and have something up.

comparing bear to boulder or any place in the pocs is like oil to water. it just wont happen. its been too warm down here lately. did they miss out on some chances to blow? yes. is there anything we can do about it? no. bear is doing the right thing by not announcing an opening date yet. if they say theyre gonna open monday and they dont then shit is gonna hit the fan worse then it is right now.

comparing bear to boulder or any place in the pocs is like oil to water. it just wont happen. its been too warm down here lately. did they miss out on some chances to blow? yes. is there anything we can do about it? no. bear is doing the right thing by not announcing an opening date yet. if they say theyre gonna open monday and they dont then shit is gonna hit the fan worse then it is right now.

I wasn't saying "Since Boulder opened, Bear should too," nor that they should claim they are when they aren't. All I said was that Bear not being able to open when Boulder, Blue, Springs, possibly Roundtop, and whatever other pocono places will be opening, isn't good for them.

I also completely agree with the sentiment that if they can have 1-2 trails open with decent cover, they'd be crazy not to. You don't pass up making money because someone coming from the south may not be enticed.

I was a bear pass holder since the switch over and I don't remember them ever opening before the 15th, one year they opened and then closed again for almost a week in early January and there was another year were it got really close when the ponds were low. Shit the last year I was there they opened on Dec 18th or something like that. It was after the 15th of the month because I remember getting paid and thinking fuck why should I even buy a pass and hence I moved on to blue.

You can only blow when mother nature allows you to do so, no amount of bitching is going to drop the temps in Macungie 3 degrees. Bear had/has a 100 days policy and I've never seen any evidence of them intentionally not blowing.

I wasn't saying "Since Boulder opened, Bear should too," nor that they should claim they are when they aren't. All I said was that Bear not being able to open when Boulder, Blue, Springs, possibly Roundtop, and whatever other pocono places will be opening, isn't good for them.

I also completely agree with the sentiment that if they can have 1-2 trails open with decent cover, they'd be crazy not to. You don't pass up making money because someone coming from the south may not be enticed.

Springs is on the complete opposite side of the state and in a different climate.

I was a bear pass holder since the switch over and I don't remember them ever opening before the 15th, one year they opened and then closed again for almost a week in early January and there was another year were it got really close when the ponds were low. Shit the last year I was there they opened on Dec 18th or something like that. It was after the 15th of the month because I remember getting paid and thinking fuck why should I even buy a pass and hence I moved on to blue.

You can only blow when mother nature allows you to do so, no amount of bitching is going to drop the temps in Macungie 3 degrees. Bear had/has a 100 days policy and I've never seen any evidence of them intentionally not blowing.

http://www.newschoolers.com/memberphoto/166891.0/Bear-Creek-Mountain-Resort--PA----11-24-08--?s=33111&t=1&o=8 November of 2008

I really hope bear is open when I come back for xmas

• Like 1