Winter Storm Watch

RootDKJ

i've been looking at generators ever since we moved into our house. i'd like to get one of those natural gas generators, but i really don't have a ton of space in my back yard. a full-house generator would be nice, but all we really need is enough power to supply our boiler's circulating pump & maybe our refridgerator.

I'd like a generator for my apartment for the two times every three years I lose power, I'd hook my alarm clock, cell phone charger, stove, refrigerator and TV. Id boil water on the stove for showers.

You could take a cold shower and forget about the boiling water piecemeal strategy...

you can run a ton of shit around your house on a 10k generator. you want to size it over what you need for startup of motors and the like, but if you need 10k, and get 15k, really all you are doing is burning that much more fuel, and when you get up into that size genset, they are not really kind on fuel. a friend of mine just bought a house with a 16kw propane Generac with auto transfer...its a really cool set up. totally automatic.

still no juice up on the hereford hill. Met ed is saying friday or possibly this weekend. I don't doubt it either, there are still two roads completely blocked on my way to work in boyertown.

On the upside I have lots of down limbs to buck and split to keep me busy. Also burning scented candles all night is starting to make the house smell fantastic haha.

you can run a ton of shit around your house on a 10k generator. you want to size it over what you need for startup of motors and the like, but if you need 10k, and get 15k, really all you are doing is burning that much more fuel, and when you get up into that size genset, they are not really kind on fuel. a friend of mine just bought a house with a 16kw propane Generac with auto transfer...its a really cool set up. totally automatic.

We were looking at an Generac that would run on either NG/LP. We already have a transfer switch (would need to upgrade to an ATS), but I think 10-15k would do the trick. We have a 4ton AC/heat pump (with oil as a backup heat source), oil hot water heater, 2 fridge/freezers, a eurocave wine refrigeration unit. Pretty sure that would already be near 10kW.

We were looking at an Generac that would run on either NG/LP. We already have a transfer switch (would need to upgrade to an ATS), but I think 10-15k would do the trick. We have a 4ton AC/heat pump (with oil as a backup heat source), oil hot water heater, 2 fridge/freezers, a eurocave wine refrigeration unit. Pretty sure that would already be near 10kW.

check the starting amps on that heat pump......it may go above what a 15kw generator can do. not saying it wouldnt start, but i bet that compressor has some pretty high start up amps.....like maybe 3-4 times running amps.

check the starting amps on that heat pump......it may go above what a 15kw generator can do. not saying it wouldnt start, but i bet that compressor has some pretty high start up amps.....like maybe 3-4 times running amps.

Some of the generators allow a 3x wattage burst for 10 second for starting large appliances.

Jeff did the power outage mess up your wine collection?

Power outages in fall/spring aren't an issue as the basement is near perfect cellar temp already

If they were that worried that a power outage would damage the wine, they would have already had the generator. While it doesn't happen often, I'm sure the power has gone out before...

it's a risk we've been taking.

If we get the house I'm hoping for, I'm putting in a Generac LP, the whole house is propane and wood. I salvaged a generator outta my friend's shed that he could never get started and was given to him by a mutual friend before he passed along about 6-7 years ago. Got it running in about 2 hours and 12 bux in parts just before Irene hit. It's still chained to the railing on the front porch, I almost broke my f'in back lifting it around, HEAVY!!!! Just got done with my last indoor project and thru away the shorts and Tee as another sacrifice to the snow gods.

Edited by moeghoul

If we get the house I'm hoping for, I'm putting in a Generac LP, the whole house is propane and wood. I salvaged a generator outta my friend's shed that he could never get started and was given to him by a mutual friend before he passed along about 6-7 years ago. Got it running in about 2 hours and 12 bux in parts just before Irene hit. It's still chained to the railing on the front porch, I almost broke my f'in back lifting it around, HEAVY!!!! Just got done with my last indoor project and thru away the shorts and Tee as another sacrifice to the snow gods.

nice....how many kw's? and where do you live at again?.........do you think it would take 2 people to get it into the back of my truck quietly?