Route 946 bridge closed the rest of the ski season!

AtomicSkier

On Monday AM, the bridge was still open. On the PM trip back it was closed so I just did the Biegley Rd over to Hoch rd which is pretty darn short (less then 1 mile???) but downside is Biegley Rd is gravel for about 1/3 mile. Decent road but gravel all the same.

Edited by tarponhead

i'll probably just go weaversville/indian trail. anybody try cottonwood yet? i just like the view along 946 in the morning...

tphead - give me a shout next time your up!

that's the way i went today. it took me the same amount of time as it normally does going 512-946.

On Monday AM, the bridge was still open. On the PM trip back it was closed so I just did the Biegley Rd over to Hoch rd which is pretty darn short (less then 1 mile???) but downside is Biegley Rd is gravel for about 1/3 mile. Decent road but gravel all the same.

Bet the people that live back there are going to just love all the extra traffic coming through, once people figure out that way.

I followed a bunch of cars last night that took the detour, was like a parade through farmland.

i'll probably just go weaversville/indian trail. anybody try cottonwood yet? i just like the view along 946 in the morning...

tphead - give me a shout next time your up!

I like 946 too.

Leave for SB Saturday. I'll be back at Blue 1st feb weekend (well really the clinic Tuesday night)

• Like 1

PennDOT did set up a detour. Just as you pass the Moore Twsp park, at the next stop-sign where the corner-store is, I think they have one make a left there. Looking at the map, I suspect they bring you back to 946 via N. Hokendauqua Rd. I didn't take it, so I don't know for sure. I also took the back-country detour on the way home as well (turn left before the church). I didn't see any detour signs southbound, which is why I'm thinking Hoky Rd.

Blowin up my spot! If I have to wait behind jersey plates taking that sharp turn at 10mph...

For shits and giggles, bang a right off 946 right after Moore Elementary and get lost in the Delps. Follow the mt and just keep headed in a direction that feels like towards Blue Mt Dr. Theres some interesting stuff back there, rednecks and mini horse farms for example.

For shits and giggles, bang a right off 946 right after Moore Elementary and get lost in the Delps. Follow the mt and just keep headed in a direction that feels like towards Blue Mt Dr. Theres some interesting stuff back there, rednecks and mini horse farms for example.

yes haha. delps is the shit. thats the next hood over from the one i grew up in.

Oh yeah, been to some kick-ass parties at people's places back there!

PennDOT did set up a detour. Just as you pass the Moore Twsp park, at the next stop-sign where the corner-store is, I think they have one make a left there. Looking at the map, I suspect they bring you back to 946 via N. Hokendauqua Rd. I didn't take it, so I don't know for sure. I also took the back-country detour on the way home as well (turn left before the church). I didn't see any detour signs southbound, which is why I'm thinking Hoky Rd.

The detour does use N.Hokendaqua rd.

Did you take it? How's that road? I don't ever remember being on it. Might have to try it out.

really fun road. getting back up the hill on the way home from blue if there's snow on the ground and you don't have AWD is pretty rough though. also, regardless of the posted speed limit, it's fully acceptible to go 60 on that road. especially around the sharp turn. swing that back end around and it's all good.

• Like 1

really fun road. getting back up the hill on the way home from blue if there's snow on the ground and you don't have AWD is pretty rough though. also, regardless of the posted speed limit, it's fully acceptible to go 60 on that road. especially around the sharp turn. swing that back end around and it's all good.

Sounds interesting. Will give it a go next time up. Thanks!

Funny Saturday morning on Mountain Road seeing Bug and BMW stuck trying to climb the hill. Thought the Germans built cars for snow? Suby had no problems getting up or down.

Funny Saturday morning on Mountain Road seeing Bug and BMW stuck trying to climb the hill. Thought the Germans built cars for snow? Suby had no problems getting up or down.

Watch for the eagle carving on the left going toward blue.

• Like 2

i had no problem on saturday on unpaved roads in my 02 jetta. sometimes its more driver error than car error.

That's what snow tires are for :)

• 4 weeks later...

No comments from RideDeleware for awhile...but I've been taking Hokendaqua and prefer it over Cottonwood. The road surface on Cottonwood leaves much to be desired. I made it to my driveway to the 946/Blue Mtn light in 18 minutes today with some slow traffic around Woodstone. I don't know if I'll ever take Grouse when the bridge opens back up.

• Like 1

No comments from RideDeleware for awhile...but I've been taking Hokendaqua and prefer it over Cottonwood. The road surface on Cottonwood leaves much to be desired. I made it to my driveway to the 946/Blue Mtn light in 18 minutes today with some slow traffic around Woodstone. I don't know if I'll ever take Grouse when the bridge opens back up.

Hokendaqua is a racetrack. That road was awesome in a brand new car freshly paved three years ago.

Hokendaqua is a racetrack. That road was awesome in a brand new car freshly paved three years ago.

heh it really is...i think its a better driving road when coming from 248 towards 946. Love clipping the apex on the tight left hander and letting it rip over the bridge :)

• Like 1

heh it really is...i think its a better driving road when coming from 248 towards 946. Love clipping the apex on the tight left hander and letting it rip over the bridge :)

Agreed. That turn isn't blind heading towards blue. It's pretty blind on the way home.