3/17 - PASR Celebration / Gaper Day / St. Patrick's at Blue

IwantIceCream

Hello all...

It was great to meet everyone this morning. :yes

I rolled up into the lot bright and early (in the fog) to find Grilled Steeze, AtomicSkier and BMTrubs....I introduced myself and delivered a plentiful bounty of 2 dozen donuts as my contribution to the festivity. Some more arrivals and meet and greets and then it was time to head up to see what conditions were like....

Productivity: 7 runs off the Comet Quad.

Run of the Day: Challenge (Graphic details below) <eg>

GrilledSteeze and I took 3 early runs down Lazy Mile and it was nice - enjoyable and fast. It was apparent from our lift rides that the Eastern third of the mountain was unwelcoming to us on this day - the snow had eroded considerably since Thursday evening rendering Paradise, Nightmare, Razor's Edge and all below it as unskiable. Next year.

So we then headed to Challenge....my run started out very nicely - it was easily skiable and down I went - cruised down the first third of the slope with some good speed and really not bothered by the conditions underfoot....Then Hell rained upon Me. Visibility was hindered where it begins to flatten (in relative terms) due to the fog and I was not really noticing the hard frozen cookies - a feature that chose to reveal itself right as I was starting to make some minor turns to take off some speed. I hit those and skidded into some moguls (small ones) on the right side of the trail and I was history. Flew through the air headfirst careening down the slope - off snap the skis and I KEPT SLIDING on the hardpack. I eventually come to a stop and GSteeze (who witnessed this Grand Display was immediately imploring "are you OK? are you OK?" ...My rejoinder to this was no response at all... "Where the f*ck are my skis?" (one of them was 50 feet or so uphill behind me...so I lay there in the mess gathering myself - and finally said =- "Yeah - I'm fine". Mega Yardsale. I was really happy that GSteeze was there to witness it! As a secondary note - I am also glad I am OK. It was elegant.

I get back on my feet and we complete the run to the bottom.....GSS headed to the parking lot and I headed back up the hill and took a run down Lazy Mile - just to kind of reassure myself that everything was working after the crash. It was. :yes

At this point I headed to the lot for an extended break.......which eventually became PASR Social Hour. A Blue Mountain maintenance truck pulls up (2 BM staff) and wants to know (about the table) "what do we have here? Exclusive parking?" I just shrugged and asked them...."would you like a donut?" They each took one and left the PASR table alone - the donuts erased their concern over it, apparently.

I was enjoying relaxing, chatting, and sharing a drink with everyone. I was happy to see that there was a solid dent in the donuts.

NASTARGlenn was quite the gourmand operating Justo's grill...upon Root's table. Great Team Effort! Those sausages looked GREAT but (as I told a few of you) - I adhered to my New Year's resolution and stuck to my diet...though I did cave in and drink a beer - Thanks, Root. Maybe NEXT YEAR, I will even grill some specialties myself at a future PASR meeting. I am well capable.

After social hour, we all headed back to the slopes.....I shared chair rides with JohnnyStyle, Mellissa, Vin and Phillycore. Fun times. In deference to The Awesome Power of Challenge (as evidenced by my earlier telling of the Yard Sale), I stayed the hell away from it and skied Main Street the final 2 runs of the day. ("Respect the Mountain").

So now I am home...and for me, this ski season is now in the books - I will not be returning on Sunday....but I do look forward to December when Blue wakes up again.....and I hope to see and ski with some of you again as circumstances allow.

Best Regards, Bill aka IwantIceCream

Edited by IwantIceCream

The fog burned off around 12:15 and the Sun came out. The bumps on Challenge were fun and large. There was a crew of bumpers about fifteen thick just ripping it today. There were two different lines at the bottom of Challenge divided by a green patch of grass. The sickbird move of the day would be to start on the skier's left side, ski across the grass, and finish up on the right side.

I moved over to Vista and checked out the pond skimming. They had a pretty good crowd and a huge number of partipants. The eye candy was insane and I hung out for about an hour enjoying the festivities. I went back to Challenge and finished up the day on the bumps. Today was day thirty for me and I drove home and reflected back on the season that never was.

• Like 3

My St. Patricks day adventure began when I left my house around 6:45am, got gassed up at the wawa and made the trek to Blue Mountain.

Stopped at the summit lodge to pick up my pass for the day which was a 20 minute wait even though I was like 3rd in line.

no big... drove down to the valley parking lot where Jeff waved me into the PASR reserved parking area..

It was good seeing everyone that I don't really get the chance to see / ski with during the regular season due to logistics.

Drank a few beers, skied a few runs.... bolted out around 2pm after the final runs of my season with Justin, Rose, and Korey.

I then made the drive up the road to Big Boulder for the Ski Instructors party, grabbed a few drafts, a hot dog, and some chips.

bullshitted with my pod peeps and got Domenik to come hang out for a while. Left there around 7:30 and skipped out on my plans to

stay over. Hopped on the turnpike and started heading south. Decided that the night was still too young and I made the trek over to

the Bally Hotel for the Wake to eventually meet up with Bob, Sexkitten and company. Grabbed a few pitchers green beer, and yeungling, the place was slamming for sure.

We all then headed over to some place called Durango's or something. I have no idea where, I just followed the party wagon.

Didn't spend too much time there before moving on once again to The Brickhouse which I think is in Pottstown, but I just followed the party wagon

once again. Ended the night there doing my best Grilled Steeze impression on the dance floor. Was a good time, long day for sure.

I got home around 3:30 this am.

• Like 1

Had a great time. Started off the day rough--started driving until I remembered that I did not put my boots in the car. Thankfully, was just in East Falls so turned around and got them and tried driving to the mountain again. Was told the beer store by Blue opened at 9am.... fact: It does not open until 10am M-S and Sundays I think it is 11--file that away for future reference. I wanted to break out the flourescent 80s Head jacket I have, but it was too hot.

Got there, got my season pass for next year, and headed down to the lower lot. Parked and saw it was empty. Started walking to the lift when some guy was all friendly and said hello to me. Figured this was just some weird guy in the parking lot who likes to talk to random people, but actually it was I want ice cream! I should have known better since he was in the PASR parking lot. Took the lift up, skiied down Challenge, and I thought the conditions kind of sucked since by that point it was all warm and mushy snow.

Went back to the parking lot and saw everyone else was there. Had some beers (thanks Doug for sharing), was forced to try some salami or something or other, and had a hot dog. Got a chance to chat with lots of people I hadn't met yet, very fun. Went up to ski again, Vince promised to go slow for me. which he did, but at this point I was fairly drunk and since I can't ski in variable conditions to begin with, I quit after that run. Amazingly, I did not have a gaper day fall (gaper day miracle). Hung out more in the parking lot, got a little sun (yes!), changed out of my boots (left them by the passenger side of my car b/c they were all parking lot dirty), and hung out some more. Had to leave to get back to Philly for a party in the evening. Started backing out when I realized that my boots were still by the passenger side. Thankfully I remembered them. All in all, a great day. Looking forward to skiing at Blue more next year--totally made it from my house to the parking lot in 1h15min.