Trip Advisor resort list of most and least expensive destinations

sibhusky

Because I'm a true tourist at Jackson Hole...I can compare my prices to the ones they give. My average cost-per-ski-day is around $300. ($500 airfare + ($80/night lodging + $70/day lift tix + $70/day food) x 7 ski days ) / 7 = $298. You absolutely can do it cheaper (Delta airfare was ~ $140 cheaper), you don't have to eat as fancy, share a room, etc. One thing JH does have is a good selection of really nice value lodging. At the prices they list, I could almost stay at Snake River Lodge slope side in Teton Village!

Aspen, on the other hand, has *no* value lodging. Even the expensive stuff is meh, unless you go really premium (Hotel Jerome, Little Nell, Ritz). Short of those, you're going to be disappointed. Lift tickets are crazy $$$, but the food isn't that bad, certainly no more than Jackson. Solution to $ lift tickets? Invest the time and money to get a Classic pass, and you're set.

Well, Atomic, first they aren't including airfare, which is a significant part of the comparison and tosses their list out the window. Second, they are using the AVERAGE hotel price based on the room prices they have in their database for the winter season. Of course, that's different from the "median" and from any particular hotel room someone might find and only includes stuff you can book online -- and I've stayed in plenty of places that you can't book online via something like Trip Advisor, only directly.

What you are saying is there is a really wide dispersion at JH, allowing for lots of lower priced housing, whereas in Aspen the dispersion is limited. I don't know if that is true or not...because the last time I stayed in Aspen money wasn't an issue for me.

Just an interesting chart. One more piece of data.

Well, Atomic, first they aren't including airfare, which is a significant part of the comparison and tosses their list out the window. Second, they are using the AVERAGE hotel price based on the room prices they have in their database for the winter season. Of course, that's different from the "median" and from any particular hotel room someone might find and only includes stuff you can book online -- and I've stayed in plenty of places that you can't book online via something like Trip Advisor, only directly.

What you are saying is there is a really wide dispersion at JH, allowing for lots of lower priced housing, whereas in Aspen the dispersion is limited. I don't know if that is true or not...because the last time I stayed in Aspen money wasn't an issue for me.

Just an interesting chart. One more piece of data.

Right...Jackson/Teton village has everything form the Antler (still very clean and serviceable where GSS used to stay) to the Four Seasons in Teton Village. $65 to who even knows how much the 5 bedroom penthouse at the Four Seasons costs? The base "valley view" room at the 4S goes for $600/night I believe? That's pretty much par for the course in Aspen, and you're probably not going to be ski in/out.

And...are beers really that inexpensive in Whitefish? :)

Nice i'm trying to get out there. Think I found a hotel I can get on points and a dirt cheap flight. When are you guys planning on going.

Jan 29th-Feb 4th i think.

But if you come, bring your A-game. We don't wait around. Just ask PhillyCore and his crew.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1

Any of you guys ever use the ski shuttle bus in SLC? Thinking about doing Utah on airline and hotel points for a 4 day trip in early March. Should i just suck it up and rent a car?

I vote for having a car. i have no experience with the shuttle though.

What the others said...if you stay in PC you should be fine. But If dont want to be limited to PC but you really dont want a car and want to ski the cottonwoods look into the Salt Lake Superpass which includes UTA ski bus transportation. I wouldnt want to rely on the bus - especially on a powder day but if you want to do it on the cheap it's an option.

http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass/

the shuttle isn't bad, as long as you are staying in the PC area.

What the others said...if you stay in PC you should be fine. But If dont want to be limited to PC but you really dont want a car and want to ski the cottonwoods look into the Salt Lake Superpass which includes UTA ski bus transportation. I wouldnt want to rely on the bus - especially on a powder day but if you want to do it on the cheap it's an option.

http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass/

If I were taking my family I'd probably stay in PC for the whole experience, but it'll probably be just me and a buddy so we'll go with cheap hotel in SLC. Seems like a car is the way to go, the pow day consideration makes total sense.

If I were taking my family I'd probably stay in PC for the whole experience, but it'll probably be just me and a buddy so we'll go with cheap hotel in SLC. Seems like a car is the way to go, the pow day consideration makes total sense.

if you get a car, do yourself a favor and stop at walmart to get cheap chains in case it does snow. most times they wont let you up any access road without them if you dont have AWD/4WD.