Whitefish today pic

sibhusky

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a few days.  You all would have been right at home in the AM.  Rock hard corduroy, top to bottom on the front today.  Fortunately for the sharpness of my edges, the back was better and things warmed up later.

12473789_10153977946862488_8873138719368

Haven't posted in a few days.  You all would have been right at home in the AM.  Rock hard corduroy, top to bottom on the front today.  Fortunately for the sharpness of my edges, the back was better and things warmed up later.

12473789_10153977946862488_8873138719368

Sounds good love those steezy speed runs. How long does whitefish stay open till??

I realized when I got home I SHOULD have taken one more run, as I'd finished ONE RUN SHORT of last year's vert. I didn't think I was that close that it was worth agonizing over, so hadn't done the math before I left.

Looks like a blast. Thanks for posting. I rode up lift at Blue this season with a couple that just got back from Whitefish. Said elevation not an issue, it's not that high above sea level. True?

6800ish I think. So not super high at all. Everyone reacts differently though.

ok, so now I need to pick some brains, anyone who knows and is familiar with elevation and how it effects you. If we stay at Flagstaff elevation 7000 feet couple of days, how long does it take your body to get used to the elevation? I really want to go to the top of Mt Humphreys- elevation 12,600 feet. Would staying in Flagstaff couple of days help with altitude adjustment? Last year we stayed in Phoenix- elevation 1,100 feet. Drove up to hike Bill Williams Trail outside Flagstaff. Hiked around 2 hours,then my legs felt like lead. My son pointed out that we were around 9000 feet. Duh... oh yeah. I guess my question is, if we stay in Flagstaff 3-4 days, would it be easier to go to the top of Mt Humphreys?

MomSkeez have you had issues with altitude sickness before? Only like 10% of the population does. I have researched it before because I suffered from altitude sickness when I went to Aspen five years ago. Signs of altitude sickness are headaches, lack of appetite and vertigo can occur. The last three years in Colorado I stayed at just under 9,000 feet in silverthorne and was skiing mainly from 10-12,000+ feet and had no issues. I don't know about hiking to 12,600 feet your first full day but by the second you should be ok. My only advice would be don't hang around at the top to long. Also I advise hiking earlier in the day, it's cooler and afternoon thunderstorms are common in the Rockies in non winter months.

Here's some generic but helpful tips.

http://www.snow.com/for-her/altitude-sickness-tips.aspx

Thanks. Guess I'm just anxious about it. And my husband thinks I'm nuts for wanting to hike up that high. The only issue I had last year hiking at 9000 feet was my legs were like lead.... I definitely had no lack of appetite ^_^ , was starving after and during that hike.

You're not nuts you're adventurous and wanna see cool things.

I remember when I first moved here I was winded going up the stairs for about a week. My neighbor took me on a summit hike that isn't very high but you gain a lot of elevation in a short distance. My lungs felt like they were burning and I had to take lots of breaks. Go on your hike, take it slow, you can always take breaks and see how you feel to continue.

ok, so now I need to pick some brains, anyone who knows and is familiar with elevation and how it effects you. If we stay at Flagstaff elevation 7000 feet couple of days, how long does it take your body to get used to the elevation? I really want to go to the top of Mt Humphreys- elevation 12,600 feet. Would staying in Flagstaff couple of days help with altitude adjustment? Last year we stayed in Phoenix- elevation 1,100 feet. Drove up to hike Bill Williams Trail outside Flagstaff. Hiked around 2 hours,then my legs felt like lead. My son pointed out that we were around 9000 feet. Duh... oh yeah. I guess my question is, if we stay in Flagstaff 3-4 days, would it be easier to go to the top of Mt Humphreys?

Depends on what you mean by effects.  The pure lack of oxygen while exerting yourself is going to take it's toll on you.  There are people that move to a higher elevation and it can take them 6 - 9 months to get fully acclimated.  The best advice is to drink lots of water (an extra liter per day at minimum) at least 1-week prior to your trip and continue to consume while on vacation.  As Barb said, on the hike just take your time and take lots of breaks.  

Town is at 3000 feet, summit 6800+. Lower altitude means less shock for flatlanders. I always had to overnight in Denver before skiing Colorado or I would have horrid migraines for a day or two and still be exhausted for skiing for the first half of the trip. I still have 20% more migraines if I visit my brother in Denver, but that might be a lifestyle clash as much as anything, since I'm not used to interstates and traffic anymore.

I haven't heard anyone complain about altitude here, although I've had two visitors from Minnesota (not related or friends) who get woozy if the view is too expansive or something. They can't tolerate things like the Inspiration ridge line or looking down No Name. (Of course, I used to have a friend who was terrified of ESCALATORS.) Different type of issue.

What else did this couple say? Just curious.

Edited by sibhusky