Vail TR 2/9/13

Barb

Got invited to Vail for the weekend.....just another reason to love living in Colorado. Friend's husband works for Vail so gave us $50 ticket vouchers. Got first chair and it was snowing hard all morning. It was nice to have someone lead us around who knew the mountain since its so big. The snow was great! I had a great time but wouldn't want to have that be my home mountain, people seemed a little snooty. Here are a few pictures:

vail001_zps2a79f43f.jpg

vail002_zps9a3c62bf.jpg

vail005_zps0d745124.jpg

vail004_zpsa9e3c1ae.jpg

It's all relative...a round at the top golf courses can fetch $400-$500. Jackson holes walk up rate is $99..to me that's not bad to ski a world class ski resort again considering that our hills charge over half that..a lot of places out west charge $40-$70..I think bridged bowl is at $49 and their lifts are so slow...

That's my point. It's rediculous that some of the mountains around here charge so much for their size when you can Jackson/whitefish/ etc charge a little bit more

That's my point. It's rediculous that some of the mountains around here charge so much for their size when you can Jackson/whitefish/ etc charge a little bit more

The argument (and I'm not sure if I buy into it) is that it's costs mountains around here that much more for snowmaking - thus the $60 lift ticket prices.

Edited by Ridge Racer

The argument (and I'm not sure if I buy into it) is that it's costs mountains around here that much more for snowmaking - thus the $60 lift ticket prices.

Snowmaking costs a decent chunk of change. But at the same time guns are becoming more efficient. I'm sure those prices often reflect inflation as well.

I could be completley wrong, and don't quote me on this, but don't resorts get some type of tax break for making snow? Some environmental or service bullshit. I thought I read/heard that somewhere, I'm probably wrong though

If you have not skied there you do not understand.

I have ridden Powder, I have ridden Vail, Powder claims more terrain but it ain't even close Vail is 3x the size of Powder. Blue Sky basin takes 20 mins of legit riding to get to. Vail has 10 fucking bowls that are like 3/4 Baldy size and about a billion lifts.

Vail is what you expect Aspen to be in your mind. It is huge, like crazy huge, with nice shit everywhere and pimp lodges and shit. People mother fucking flock there and hence why its 110+.

Riding at Vail is about the whole Vail dealio which is why its fucking expensive.

Snowbasin who has lots of nice shit and HS lifts will have to go this way to eventually, UT adjusted of course. Most of that resort was Olympic and state money and the dude who owns it has deep pockets from his O&G empire but they are running out of $$ to subsidize the lift ticket price.

The thing is, you can only cover so much territory in one day, no matter what the size of the place is. You're paying for terrain you are not using. If you want variety, ski a different area each day and pay a lower price per day.

The thing is, you can only cover so much territory in one day, no matter what the size of the place is. You're paying for terrain you are not using. If you want variety, ski a different area each day and pay a lower price per day.

good idea in concept, but hard to implement.

good idea in concept, but hard to implement.

Concept was to stay in Summit County or Park City and near a lot of DIFFERENT ski areas. Don't pay Vail's prices. Take your business elsewhere. Don't pay for a reputation. Pay for what YOU are skiing. Edited by sibhusky