The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

Does everyone think some hills will announce their openings tomorrow for the coming weekend?

If they get one more night of snowmaking, BB will open Freedom. it will be awesome.

Its pretty obvious their commitment to snowmaking at this point is to just "open". I would say they dont feel great about the up coming temps or they would be laying down more on other trails, which it doesnt appear is happening. Or they are afraid of Sasquatch.

Its awesome what BB does with the food drive, and toys for tots. Kudos for that, but at this point i am more interested in what blue can open.

• Like 2

no, bear creek didn't blow (at least from what i could tell)....i also don't think elk blew at all either (even if they probably had the best temps to blow).

Elk's webcam is up and running, and everything is very green. I just don't think early or late season is part of their business plan. If they had on site lodging, I would imagine that they would try harder to be open for T-Day.

The things I could change if I owned that place...

• Like 1

Are people gonna travel to Elk for a WROD? Why would u want to own Elk? Haven't you moved on to

Bigger and better things?

There is tons of pent up demand early season. I think anywhere in PA opening early would attract customers, and with their colder climate, Elk would have the best t2b option for that early season opening.

Just because I've moved on to bigger and better things doesn't mean I wouldn't love to own one of my favorite resorts. I'm sure you would wouldn't mind owning Blue. Not to mention, there are so many things that could be done at Elk to increase skier base, that it would really produce some results.

• Like 1

Are people gonna travel to Elk for a WROD? Why would u want to own Elk? Haven't you moved on to

Bigger and better things?

Bigger and better? I think not. Elk is just like skiing in Vermont without the drive. Lol

Actually I hear what ride is saying. Elk has soooo much potential. If I owned the joint and had that cash I would expand the resort and cut trails on the south knob, add high speed lifts and of course open the trees. Then it would almost be like skiing in the Catskills without the drive.

Anyway so where is everyone skiing this weekend?

• Like 2

IMO elk is the poorman's Greek Peak

You should probably reverse that. Greek Peak is the one that went bankrupt building an indoor water park and hotel, not Elk. Elk is quite fiscally conservative. When their trees are big enough for lumber, they will be a natural gold mine.

Now that I'm done being a jackass, Greek has its defining qualities. It gets more snow, has glades, and has a comparative lift infrastructure (although they added a high speed quad?). It is definitely more of a resort. I know Elk doesn't have the most challenging terrain, but I was quite bored at Greek after a couple hours. Its been a long time, but I still think I would enjoy Elk more. I would be willing to give it a shot again though. I guess thats why we all have our opinions.

• Like 1

No bear creek did not blow and why would they? Unlike blue and bb they have a sap and hotel to keep the revenue afloat and opening is not a top priority. Plus it would piss off the hotel guests

Friend said they were planning on testing the guns this week but not really blowing until the weather was more favorable. Anything the could put down the last night / tonight would be gone by the weekend especially with rain in the forecast.