Taos NM 2014

NMSKI

Just got back from my trip to Taos. This year was much better than the last 2 years despite the overall snowpack being a little lower. The first 2 days were pretty average for Taos - awesome scary fast groomers, huge bumps and wind buffed steeps higher up on the mountain. Was having a great time skiing with some friends, but shit got serious on Friday. I hadn't hiked Kachina yet and one thing that was crucial was getting up there one more time before the lift goes in this summer. The forecast was calling for snow in the afternoon, so I entered the gates as soon as I could get to the top of lift 2. Due to overnight winds, the bootpack was covered and I broke trail 2/3 of the way to the top of Kachina (non skate portion) until I had to rest and another guy passed me. Guy that passed me entered K3 chute and aired a 15 foot cornice onto a 50 degree slope and shredded the whole way down. Just another day at Taos for him I guess. I topped out and took K5 which is a little sportier than Main Street but not suicide-wish extreme. Enjoyed the shit out of my last non lift served run from the peak and went into the St. Bernard for an early lunch. Saw Jean Meyer (legend) sitting there and chatted with him for a minute. Finished up some beers and a Frito Pie and went back out. It was dumping. Tracked the fucking shit out of Hunziker Bowl, Walkyries Chute, $ Slot, Ruby Gully, High Noon Bowl, and all the other areas that I knew would be filled in by the snow and wind. Skid till 4 and went to the Martini Tree where there were beers, high fives and fist bumps with strangers and an awesome fired up vibe. Snowed 8 more inches at the base overnight on Friday, was double that high up. Woke up to the sound of bombs going off on Saturday and skied some nice powder all morning. They didn't groom anything out it was the best! Damn Texans were bitching and moaning though. Hit Lorelei Trees, Upper Pollux and everything on the backside. Finished up my afternoon with a run down Al's with soft powdery bumps, but it was so fun I went back up and hit more frontside steeps - Spencer's to Edelveiss Glade to Showoff. 2 best back to back days I have ever had there.

Me up on the ridge.

e4esu9em.jpg

Topping out.

ume4ujes.jpg

Summit selfie!

aradu7a8.jpg

About to get it.

hahataqu.jpg

Storm skiing in Hunzi bowl.

gujevata.jpg

High Noon.

dy3y5a6u.jpg

Will post more pics later - Tapatalk only let's you do 6 wtf?

• Like 4

More pics:

"Groomers"

yqygu5up.jpg

Fluffy in the trees

mejybupe.jpg

Heard someone call my name when I was skiing Al's - my mom was on the mountain and snapped some pics from the lift!

tajede5e.jpg

va9erare.jpg

y2uredaj.jpg

yjeju6ub.jpg

Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 5

How were the crowds ? Are they making money ?

Only time I didn't ski right onto a lift was first thing in the morning. Saturday was a little busier, but with that being the first day of Texas spring break I was expecting much bigger crowds. I honestly don't know how they make money. Posters announcing the Kachina lift were everywhere, I guess they're hoping that will increase visitor volume.

Only time I didn't ski right onto a lift was first thing in the morning. Saturday was a little busier, but with that being the first day of Texas spring break I was expecting much bigger crowds. I honestly don't know how they make money. Posters announcing the Kachina lift were everywhere, I guess they're hoping that will increase visitor volume.

I hope they make it, it's too good a hill to not be skied.

• 10 months later...

Stoke is rising for this years trip. Finally figured out how to get go pro footage on my computer. Enjoy the shitty edit/skiing! This is Lorelei, backside and Kachina Main Street.

https://vimeo.com/117179336

Looks like Vermont, amirite, Toast? Is the new Kachina lift up n running already?

• Like 1