Whiteface or Gore

Sno Mountain Skier

Anyone have input on where to go for a couple days? I am thinking midweek in either January or February of going to either Gore or Whiteface. I haven't skied at either and haven't really skied much in 5 years. I'll go up with my girlfriend, so I'll need to stay somewhere with something to do other than skiing. Thinking she can go to a spa one day and just lounge another day and I can ski two days. So keep that in mind.

Looking at a place at both Gore and Whiteface that would fit what we are looking for, but if anyone has first hand knowledge, it would be helpful.

Definitely Whiteface over Gore..as there's an actual town near Whiteface...(Lake Placid) with lots of high end lodging and restaurants. Whiteface is a no brainer as Gore is in the middle of nowhere.

I agree with this if you are going with a nonskiing girlfriend. There is a lot to do in Lake Placid. But the mountain is still about 10 mi. from town.

Otherwise I actually like Gore better than WF. Conditions are usually better at Gore and the mountain is really spread out.

Are you sure those tickets are good on weekends? IIRC most of the Gore tickets from the shows are only good on weekdays.

... a voucher to Gore Mountain good for either a) One (1) FREE lift ticket valid from Opening Day through 12.12.14 OR 3.07.15 through Closing Day 2015.  OR B) One (1) 2-FOR-1 lift ticket valid 1.02.15 through 3.22.15, NOT VALID 1.17.15 through 1.19.15 and 2.14.15 through 2.22.15.

I have two vouchers.

... a voucher to Gore Mountain good for either a) One (1) FREE lift ticket valid from Opening Day through 12.12.14 OR 3.07.15 through Closing Day 2015.  OR B) One (1) 2-FOR-1 lift ticket valid 1.02.15 through 3.22.15, NOT VALID 1.17.15 through 1.19.15 and 2.14.15 through 2.22.15.

I have two vouchers.

Congrats Root!!!!!

I have two vouchers.

Sounds good. Even B1G1's are hard to get for there prime season. Mid march should be good there for the free tickets.

Have you been there before?

Sounds good. Even B1G1's are hard to get for there prime season. Mid march should be good there for the free tickets.

Have you been there before?

No.  My neighbors go there every season and can't say enough good things about the place.

Oh and Gore is opening on Sunday.

Both mountains are great.  Whiteface definitely has the accommodations you're looking for.  Gore gets a lot of flack for some reason, but I really enjoy it.  It's an uncrowded, great mountain with good trees and some great cruisers.  Whiteface definitely has more challenging terrain too.  For your needs, it sounds like Whiteface is the place to go.  

• Like 1

This is all reasonable advice but lacks certain info.

Do you like this girl ?

If you don't take her to Gore, she'll break up with you pretty quick. If not Iceface.

1. Make sure she has warm clothes, it gets fucking cold there and you don't want to have to listen to her bitch.

2. Assuming this is a weekend rocket docket trip, go fast on 87, go slow outside of Albany when it dips to 55 (I have two suspension in NY from this stretch) then do 100 but watch the truckers who will also be doing 100 when they slow down you slow down.

3. Let her sleep in Saturday morning, lets be honest your stank ass ain't nothing to look at in the morning anyways but there is no reason she has to wake up at the crack ass of dawn.

4. Setup ahead of time a nice spa dealio at Mirror Lake Inn - http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/spa/spa-services/Do not tell her about his ahead of time. Pick noon, this means she doesn't have to wake up early and splits her day in half, then she ain't missing you and being bored . Pay ahead of time so all she has to do is show up. Tell them you want the hottest dude there, don't worry about he's likely gay and therefore is actually doing most of the foreplay your going to cash in on later.

5. Leave a note with the details and leave the fucking car. If you have to skip to Iceface do it, LP without a car means she's not going to be happy. Put some money in her pocket and on the same note write something like after your time at the spa why don't you get yourself a nice dress for our dinner tonight.

6. Pick a nice place on Yelp or something, tell her an old Italian man at IceFace told you it was the most romantic restaurant in town.

7. Get dressed up, be charming and funny, remember the representative you sent on your first date. Be that guy.

8. Have fun in Pound Town, if you've always wanted to try the Cambodian flip or the rusty trombone now would be a good time.

If your old and married ignore everything I just said, additionally if you do the ski trip thing alot also ignore what I just said. However if this is your first time and you want to do this alot the next part is key.

Lets assume it's now Sunday, if it's not going to snow don't ski. JL your a fucking fag what the fuck are you talking about ? This is your first trip on the merry go round son if you want to do this again where you go skiing all day and then come home and fuck you got to make sure the first one is like some princess shit.

Go bobsledding, check out the ski jump and realize how fucking insane those people are, shit tell her you were a jumper before the fire at the orphanage. Go to the ADK LOJ walk two completely flat miles to Marcy Dam and admire the 2nd most bad ass mtns on the EC. Tell your girl your badass internet friends ski that shit and sleep in the woods because they lived next to limerick powerplant for too long.  Bring a thermarest and commence vigorous thrusting in a leanto.

Do whatever but eat that day unless it's snowing. Your gonna use this day for the rest of your god damn life. Let's say she had such a good time this year at WF that she wants to go back next year or someplace different. Lets also say that its going to drop a foot on Sunday or something, by then she's going to be a little bored but wait my friend you listened to JL and you got last years day in your pocket. Play that card brother, remind her nicely that you ate that day last year so you could go candle dipping together or whatever. The card is key because there is going to be day where it's nuking and she don't want you to go.

Play your cards right and you can swing a western trip out of this no problem. But JL wtf am I getting out of all of this ? Your living the dream dude, your gonna shred the gnar all fucking day, then your going to eat a nice meal/drink beer and then fuck. That's pretty much my perfect existence.

Seriously though in Keene Valley (sort of on the way to LP) is the mountaineer. In my opinion it's the most legit mountaineering shop on the EC. You need an O ring for a 89 MSR XGK they got it. You want to drop 1000 on WM Bison GWS they got in stock, long and regular. Dudes who run the place are legit legit, check the walls for verification of their radness.

• Like 5

besides what JL most awesomely put into words.....I like both WF and gore.  we went to gore a couple of times last year an we love it there.  def not crowded, but that's b/c it is in the middle of nowhere.  gore def has legit terrain there.....def overlooked and underrated in my book.

WF has lake placid, which is top notch.  on a powder day, i'd say WF is probably the best mtn on the east coast.  other than that, you had better sharpen  your edges and know how to use them b/c WF is very exposed to the wind and the name "iceface" is very accurate. 

you can't go wrong with either.  ORDA owns both mtns, so the lift tix are transferrable btwn WF and gore. 

After 5 years I don't need to put in that much effort to get laid, but I plan on pre booking/paying for the massage. Good idea about scheduling it mid day.

This is all reasonable advice but lacks certain info.

Do you like this girl ?

If you don't take her to Gore, she'll break up with you pretty quick. If not Iceface.

1. Make sure she has warm clothes, it gets fucking cold there and you don't want to have to listen to her bitch.

2. Assuming this is a weekend rocket docket trip, go fast on 87, go slow outside of Albany when it dips to 55 (I have two suspension in NY from this stretch) then do 100 but watch the truckers who will also be doing 100 when they slow down you slow down.

3. Let her sleep in Saturday morning, lets be honest your stank ass ain't nothing to look at in the morning anyways but there is no reason she has to wake up at the crack ass of dawn.

4. Setup ahead of time a nice spa dealio at Mirror Lake Inn - http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/spa/spa-services/Do not tell her about his ahead of time. Pick noon, this means she doesn't have to wake up early and splits her day in half, then she ain't missing you and being bored . Pay ahead of time so all she has to do is show up. Tell them you want the hottest dude there, don't worry about he's likely gay and therefore is actually doing most of the foreplay your going to cash in on later.

5. Leave a note with the details and leave the fucking car. If you have to skip to Iceface do it, LP without a car means she's not going to be happy. Put some money in her pocket and on the same note write something like after your time at the spa why don't you get yourself a nice dress for our dinner tonight.

6. Pick a nice place on Yelp or something, tell her an old Italian man at IceFace told you it was the most romantic restaurant in town.

7. Get dressed up, be charming and funny, remember the representative you sent on your first date. Be that guy.

8. Have fun in Pound Town, if you've always wanted to try the Cambodian flip or the rusty trombone now would be a good time.

If your old and married ignore everything I just said, additionally if you do the ski trip thing alot also ignore what I just said. However if this is your first time and you want to do this alot the next part is key.

Lets assume it's now Sunday, if it's not going to snow don't ski. JL your a fucking fag what the fuck are you talking about ? This is your first trip on the merry go round son if you want to do this again where you go skiing all day and then come home and fuck you got to make sure the first one is like some princess shit.

Go bobsledding, check out the ski jump and realize how fucking insane those people are, shit tell her you were a jumper before the fire at the orphanage. Go to the ADK LOJ walk two completely flat miles to Marcy Dam and admire the 2nd most bad ass mtns on the EC. Tell your girl your badass internet friends ski that shit and sleep in the woods because they lived next to limerick powerplant for too long.  Bring a thermarest and commence vigorous thrusting in a leanto.

Do whatever but eat that day unless it's snowing. Your gonna use this day for the rest of your god damn life. Let's say she had such a good time this year at WF that she wants to go back next year or someplace different. Lets also say that its going to drop a foot on Sunday or something, by then she's going to be a little bored but wait my friend you listened to JL and you got last years day in your pocket. Play that card brother, remind her nicely that you ate that day last year so you could go candle dipping together or whatever. The card is key because there is going to be day where it's nuking and she don't want you to go.

Play your cards right and you can swing a western trip out of this no problem. But JL wtf am I getting out of all of this ? Your living the dream dude, your gonna shred the gnar all fucking day, then your going to eat a nice meal/drink beer and then fuck. That's pretty much my perfect existence.

Seriously though in Keene Valley (sort of on the way to LP) is the mountaineer. In my opinion it's the most legit mountaineering shop on the EC. You need an O ring for a 89 MSR XGK they got it. You want to drop 1000 on WM Bison GWS they got in stock, long and regular. Dudes who run the place are legit legit, check the walls for verification of their radness.

besides what JL most awesomely put into words.....I like both WF and gore. we went to gore a couple of times last year an we love it there. def not crowded, but that's b/c it is in the middle of nowhere. gore def has legit terrain there.....def overlooked and underrated in my book.

Certainty looked like you were enjoying Gore here

d3b22d2433ab04ce24a9befed3de4914.jpg

• Like 3