Oktoberfest 2016

indiggio

I think you should get a commission on the sales you make. I'm not telling you what to do just reacting to your complaints and pleas for pity here. But being more polite to your customers than you are being this morning might get you some more sales.

I was gonna suggest that TP4 should take a customer service seminar. I don't like his attitude.

ok now that is just stupid

Once or twice a week I give money to random homeless or crackheads who ask for it. Usually just $5 bills but I had just gone to ATM so only had $20s. I know I could have bought a round of shots with that or a new balaclava but I was in a generous mood. I gave free SFRB to two friends recently as well.

oh i agree about being polite to customers, which I am. however, i am not polite to assholes who think i shouldnt eat. im not polite to assholes who think i shouldnt snowboard. plus, you are being a hypocrite. i could be polite as shit to you but you would still shop my price, still try to crush me on price, etc. you have no intention of buying a car, you are a tire kicker. i could give you my first born child and you would still go somewhere else if it was $100 cheaper

Reminds me of this 50 cent song..Window Shopper Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

I didn't read it that way. I thought Ski was simply saying that the system is terrible. If you make the sale, regardless of whose "customer" it was, you should get the commission. I think that then translated into him saying that if you are restricted to that system, and feel noble enough to let them have the commission even if they aren't making a sale (which I would also feel inclined to do as long as I were making my nut), that you would have to be there all the time in order to make those sales.

Personally, I'm a pretty moral guy. If someone wasn't there and it was their customer, then I would make the sale for them and give them the commission, assuming the same would be done for me. However, if they are going to dick me over, and the managers don't care, then I would proceed to dick them over. Isn't that why our society is where it is now? Because some asshole always has to ruin a good thing?

I think our society is good. Recently I bought something with a $10 bill that was $8something and I got $11something in change and the devil in me thought for a split second about keeping it but I gave the extra $10 back. Good karma to me is worth more than $10. In my broker days prob would have kept the $10.

oh i agree about being polite to customers, which I am. however, i am not polite to assholes who think i shouldnt eat. im not polite to assholes who think i shouldnt snowboard. plus, you are being a hypocrite. i could be polite as shit to you but you would still shop my price, still try to crush me on price, etc. you have no intention of buying a car, you are a tire kicker. i could give you my first born child and you would still go somewhere else if it was $100 cheaper

If one customer offered you $100 more for a car than another, who would you sell it to? If you would sell it to the one offering less, just because they were there first, then you are not doing a good job for your employer.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

I am not saying I would do anything like that as I have made clear I have never and have no expectation that I will ever buy a car from a used car dealer.

But I do expect that most buyers will seek the lowest price and sellers the highest price. You can always beat someone else's price to make the sale, if you can, even if it means sacrificing some of your commission.

Seems a kind of basic concept that someone in sales should get.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

I think unless you've actually been in the car business as a salesman, you can't really understand the frustration that TP4 experiences. Selling cars is like selling nothing else. I don't know why it happens, but when it comes time to buy or sell a vehicle people get weird.

That goes for the average Joe selling his car private party too. If you don't think he won't screw you, you better think again. I'll have people come and buy a 2 year old car with 25,000 miles and be so paranoid something is wrong with it. Like what do I have to freaking hide? It has the full bumper to bumper factory warranty yet. But when you ask them about their 15 year old car with 120,000 miles they want to trade if there are any issues, they say no. A mile down the road on the test drive the check engine light comes on and they claim that never happened before. Funny because the scan tool says you cleared it out.

I'm not a new car dealer and never would want to be. It's a totally different animal. The factory puts immense pressure on the dealers to move new cars. If you don't move your quota, you lose your franchise and the TONS of money you invested. This in turn makes the sales people pushy which customers hate. At the same time, you have unrealistic customers coming in that waste the sales persons time. The salesman is just trying to make a living like everyone else. The customer doesn't care and really, they are part of the problem. How would you like if you worked a commission only job, did all the work, and didn't get paid for your efforts? It happens to Realtors all the time too.

At the end of the day a car salesman is just trying to make a living like everybody else. But too many customers look down on them like they are dirt. Some of these sales people are in their 50's and lost their once good paying job elsewhere. But because of their age nobody would hire them. I see it all the time when I go around from dealership to dealership to buy their unwanted trade-ins. Some times when I sit around waiting for keys or titles, you get to talk to these people and hear their story. You can tell they are sometimes at a low point in their life and feel like they are worthless. But they try their hardest to provide for their family.

Just like there are good cops and bad cops, there are good and bad car salesmen. I think if you worked in the industry you would find out there are more good then bad. It's really hard to "screw" someone these days. The internet has made everything pretty damn transparent. But no matter what the public still has their stigma for the "used car salesman".

On a side note, I love how this thread got hijacked from $50 helicopter rides lol

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 2

I think ski2live might be an alias my mom is using, cause me and her have this same argument every couple months.

What argument do you have with your mom? Is she like my third favorite Hall and Oates song,"Out of Touch"

I feel like I should smokeup first before I read ski freaks post.

An artist who works for us wastes the salespersons time all the time. He has poor credit and dreams of having a Ford Escape. He even talked about how he could do a low mileage lease for like $250 a month which seems like that would require a high down payment like 3 or 4 grand. He goes in and test drives it every few months, wastes the dealers time then he bitched that his payments would be $50 a month higher than the quoted special cause his credit is bad so keeps driving his 2003 jeep Cherokee that he spends a couple thousand a year on maintainance. When I leased my current Subaru he has a zillion questions and was hella jealous.

The guy that sold me my Subaru told me he makes $60,000 a year which is good on the surface but he works every Saturday and on weekdays is usually there till 8 or 9pm. Even later if he's making a sale..he was a persistent mofo. I bought my car like two months after I first stopped in and got pricing and he prob called me 10-12 times in that time frame. I wish I could be that persistent with my customers who shop around.

My least favorite are people who want to pickout their own tombstone ahead of time but don't want to actually order it. They'll say just set up a file and when I die in 5-20 years my kid will come in and buy it. Of course pricing will change and a lot of times the kid thinks it's already been paid for or end up cheaping out. I also have people who buy like a $8200 tombstone and then when I'm writing it up they say I really wanted this to be under 8,000. At that point it's not about whether they can afford it or not they are just trying to get a few bucks off.

I had a recent customer who after I wrote up the order and took their deposit they continued to shop around and they found a better price at a competitor and wanted us to match or beat that price. I actually did match it but that shit is rare. Sort of like Best Buy does. Fucking people trying to take money out of my pocket. The serious hagglers usually are the ones with a lot of money. I like poking up customers addresses on Zillow. The people with $500,000 and million dollar houses get the best deals. The ones who live in $150,000 houses and apartments 99.5% just pay the price I give them straight from the price book. If I charges 10% more they would pay it as well. Some would say I'm leaving money on the table but I don't wanna gouge people when we already have a solid markup

Tp4 heading towards a pre-season ban before GSS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Root..totally uncalled for. Strike 2 TP4!!!

This thread gave me a good idea.

See how many mtns in the area i can ride a heli in. Got cb, hopefully blue in oct. bear...

Can we get an all PASR heli?

Thanks shadows for getting this back on topic.

• Like 2

The guy that sold me my Subaru told me he makes $60,000 a year which is good on the surface but he works every Saturday and on weekdays is usually there till 8 or 9pm. Even later if he's making a sale..he was a persistent mofo. I bought my car like two months after I first stopped in and got pricing and he prob called me 10-12 times in that time frame. I wish I could be that persistent with my customers who shop around.

My least favorite are people who want to pickout their own tombstone ahead of time but don't want to actually order it. They'll say just set up a file and when I die in 5-20 years my kid will come in and buy it. Of course pricing will change and a lot of times the kid thinks it's already been paid for or end up cheaping out. I also have people who buy like a $8200 tombstone and then when I'm writing it up they say I really wanted this to be under 8,000. At that point it's not about whether they can afford it or not they are just trying to get a few bucks off.

I had a recent customer who after I wrote up the order and took their deposit they continued to shop around and they found a better price at a competitor and wanted us to match or beat that price. I actually did match it but that shit is rare. Sort of like Best Buy does. Fucking people trying to take money out of my pocket. The serious hagglers usually are the ones with a lot of money. I like poking up customers addresses on Zillow. The people with $500,000 and million dollar houses get the best deals. The ones who live in $150,000 houses and apartments 99.5% just pay the price I give them straight from the price book. If I charges 10% more they would pay it as well. Some would say I'm leaving money on the table but I don't wanna gouge people when we already have a solid markup

LL Bean has a no-ask refund policy. A pod cast I was listening to recently (forget which one) had a hilarious story about interviewing the employees at the return window. People are returning tents after their once in a decade camping trip or even returning 20 year old shirts because they were worn out. It was hilarious to listen too but also a bit depressing Edited by tarponhead

LL Bean has a no-ask refund policy. A pod cast I was listening to recently (forget which one) had a hilarious story about interviewing the employees at the return window. People are returning tents after their once in a decade camping trip or even returning 20 year old shirts because they were worn out. It was hilarious to listen too but also a bit depressing

It's such a tiny percentage of people that abuse the return policy that it's just built into the cost of doing business. We've replaced memorial stones that were vandalized or struck by lighting totally out of goodwill even though it's not part of our guarantee.

I like selling tombstones cause the majority of people are uneducated on what our costs are so I can charge a pretty high markup. We get some people who haggle and shop around but they are the majority. Most buy through the funeral director who sell for us because they need to make up for lost revenue due to a falling death rate and falling cremation rate. Ski2Live are there any bonuses in the industry you work in??

Isn't it cheaper to be cremated? And someone told me the box of ashes you get isn't necessarily your deceased loved one. It's a bunch of bodies cremated at one time and they just mix the ashes together and divy them up?